Any Help Appreciated

After a year of learning candle making and reading these posts, I was ready to put my candles out there.  I recently got a small shelf at an antique/craft consignment shop and was ready to produce a few dozen candles.  I have poured and tested my orange candles and thought I had this problem licked, but I guess I was wrong!

The Wax is IGI 6006

1 oz of fragrance 

1 drop of color

Added fragrance at 185

Poured at 165

Room temp was 71

Jars were heated in oven before pouring

The candle with the hole was left to solidify on a tray at least 4" from the other candles.  No towels were used.

The candle with no hole was wrapped loosely with kitchen towels - but wasn't able to cover the whole jar, just the bottom 2/3.

Both candles have wet spots - ugh!  And because of holes on the first batch, I'm always nervous about holes being in the perfect looking candles!

Is there anything I can do to save the candles with the holes?  If I poke small holes with a cake tester and repour some wax, will that fix it?  Can I do anything about the wet spots?

It looks like I need to wrap the jars while cooling (what a pain) - so any suggestions on what to use besides dish towels?  (Using the towels caused me to knock a few wicks off center)

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!  I have put SO much money into this - at this point I have to at least give it a shot :)

Thanks!IMG_2373.thumb.jpg.7ef4f7d71d3b1f695c8b938c3db31cb3.jpgIMG_2374.thumb.jpg.944a4cfe8b3e95f4a5bd37218a344753.jpgIMG_2375.thumb.jpg.b343c3ac2e76bfe5c18cbe774687faa0.jpgIMG_2376.thumb.jpg.58e90965c1ad842d92a5c007ddfdea08.jpg

You can try to poke through them and test for caverns, then do a second pour to fix.

I would have a concern about the off-center wick. Did it get pulled over as it cooled, or was it not secured?

i find just pouring cooler solves a lot of air pockets problems in many of my various waxes. 

Thanks TallTayl!

I was using a clothespin to secure the wick, but knocked it a bit out of place when I was wrapping the jars with towels...I'm going to order more wick bars.

How much cooler?  10 degrees? When I call the candle companies for help, they tell me to pour warmer!

I use clothes pins on narrow containers. Run the wick through the metal spring hole, snug the wick, then clamp the excess off to the side.. It works, for me, better than any of the bars and is quick. 

6006 is parasoy, right? Soy tends to want to cool quickly in my experiences. I would try cooler and see what happens. 

Wet spots will occur just because temp changes happen. You can't control that. 

Good luck iG. 

Do make sure to test burn a few before sending them to the shop. Many of us are experiencing changes to soy waxes with this year's soy wax. Hit the search feature up here for 6006 and read up on what other members have discovered. 

• Like 1

On a side note Island Girl, are those the Calypso jars from Glassnow? If they are, I just ordered a bunch of the 16 ounce jars and was wondering if you had tested these and which wax you use. Are those CD wicks as well?

Any insight would be apreciated if these indeed are the Glassnow jars im thinking of. 

Clear Black - Yes these are the Calypso Jars, but they are the 12 ounce.  I tried the 16 ounce and they were so tough to pour ( see HOLE photos above!) that I switched to the 12 ounce - guess it wasn't the height, lol!

I use IGI 6006 wax and sent them off to Wicks Unlimited to be wick tested.  He sent back ECO 1 wicks, which burn really well in these jars. I never would have discovered that on my own, that's for sure.  I may test some other wicks soon, because 6" ECO 1 wicks are hard to find.

I love the look of the jars, especially with the cork tops.  And some of their colors are just lovely!  Wish I lived closer, so the shipping wouldn't be so high.

I used 6006 for the better part of the past almost 20 years, back before it was owned by IGI. ;) 

The 6006 wants to shrink. Since sink holes are caused by the surface area of a jar cooling faster than the inside, the best solution is to pour hot. I always poured at around 185-195, jars that are narrower and taller tend to cool faster than those that are wider and shorter, thus your surface cools faster in jars like this.

Wet spots, they happen. Forget about them. I actually always repoured with this wax. I just poured to my fill line, waited about an hour or two, three if a larger volume jar and re-heated the excess wax and did a top off pouring at 195 to fill any potential voids. I would agree with ECO and or CD wicks with that wax. As the tech for BC, I saw too many times that because of the soy folks had issues with zinc core out of nowhere and their candles refused to burn. I would for that reason avoid zinc. You may never have a problem but if you do, it's a doozy!

• Like 3

Imo, you need to be pouring well over 160 rid the wet spots and your other issues. I would suggest 175 at a minimum. 6006 is a forgiving wax, it is NOT at all like working with straight soy. I'm fact, it acts more like a paraffin than a soy wax and also it tends to shrink more than other typical greasy "container" waxes. I can get it to fully release for tarts when I poor it cooler.....around 140.....Pouring it cooler will make your wet spots worse for sure. 

On 6/29/2017 at 9:22 AM, Island girl said:

After a year of learning candle making and reading these posts, I was ready to put my candles out there.  I recently got a small shelf at an antique/craft consignment shop and was ready to produce a few dozen candles.  I have poured and tested my orange candles and thought I had this problem licked, but I guess I was wrong!

The Wax is IGI 6006

1 oz of fragrance 

1 drop of color

Added fragrance at 185

Poured at 165

Room temp was 71

Jars were heated in oven before pouring

The candle with the hole was left to solidify on a tray at least 4" from the other candles.  No towels were used.

The candle with no hole was wrapped loosely with kitchen towels - but wasn't able to cover the whole jar, just the bottom 2/3.

Both candles have wet spots - ugh!  And because of holes on the first batch, I'm always nervous about holes being in the perfect looking candles!

Is there anything I can do to save the candles with the holes?  If I poke small holes with a cake tester and repour some wax, will that fix it?  Can I do anything about the wet spots?

It looks like I need to wrap the jars while cooling (what a pain) - so any suggestions on what to use besides dish towels?  (Using the towels caused me to knock a few wicks off center)

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!  I have put SO much money into this - at this point I have to at least give it a shot :)

Thanks!IMG_2373.thumb.jpg.7ef4f7d71d3b1f695c8b938c3db31cb3.jpgIMG_2374.thumb.jpg.944a4cfe8b3e95f4a5bd37218a344753.jpgIMG_2375.thumb.jpg.b343c3ac2e76bfe5c18cbe774687faa0.jpgIMG_2376.thumb.jpg.58e90965c1ad842d92a5c007ddfdea08.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 3:22 PM, Island girl said:

Both candles have wet spots - ugh!  

Can I do anything about the wet spots?

You can embrace them. Sorry to be blunt, but really the only people who even notice or care about wet spots are other chandlers. Most consumers don't even know what they are or even really notice them. The ones that do, think it's just a part of how the candle looks (which in reality is accurate) 

Even if you do find a magic way to eliminate them when making, as others have said, once the atmosphere changes they will emerge. It's all part of it. 

• Like 4

I use 6006 for 90% of my candles that I sell. I have no issues with sink holes, etc.

I pour anywhere from 170-175. Just need to cool more slowly. Preheating jars honestly made to difference for me. Just cool them more slowly, thats literally it.

And I agree with Cindym..... zincs work best even though 6006 is partially soy. And in my opinion, it wasn't even close. I tried EXTENSIVELY all other wicks and always came back to zincs. They stay centered, not as hot, great HT throw, dont lean towards the glass Most consistent. They just work great. Mushrooms are more of a concern to us than customers, they are used to them and for the most part could care less. And if they trim like they are supposed to than its no problem at all anyway. Besides, other wicks give mushrooms too.

I also echo what other said about wetspots. Seriously, forget about them. You can make them perfect.. but as soon as they are on shelves or out of your care, they will show up anyways. No big deal. Customers dont care at all. Its one of those things us chandeliers worry about for no reason. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I still have so much learning to do.  I guess if there's one thing I learned from this post it's that I need to stop trying for "candle perfection"!  Wet spots and mushrooms will now be acceptable :)  Wthomas57 and cindym - thanks for the input, I'm testing some zinc wicks now.