Vitamin E vs Vitamin E Acetate

Candybee

Can someone explain the difference to me in laymen's terms. I have both. I bought the Vitamin E Acetate to use in my body spray because the description was that it blended better in liquids. I bought the vitamin E tocopherols to use in my balms that use oils, butters, and waxes. Am I using the right Vitamin E? Do they make a difference?

There must be a better explanation than this. Also, is there a difference in the tocopherals in the acetate? Does one Vitamin E have more than the other? I am confused!:huh:

Vitamin e Acetate is a fraction of vitamin e tocopherol.

acetate is used in skin care to help eradicate free radicals on the skin directly. 

Tocopherol is used typically to help reduce oxidation of oils and butters in the product.

hit up lotioncrafter.com - the product descriptions are pretty thorough.

• Like 1

Thanks TT. Looks like I should be using the vitamin E acetate form for my skin care products. I was surprised to read that the tocopherals type can actually be ineffective at stopping free radicals and may actually promote them under the right conditions. I think I also read somewhere that the acetate version penetrates the skin better.

10 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Thanks TT. Looks like I should be using the vitamin E acetate form for my skin care products. I was surprised to read that the tocopherals type can actually be ineffective at stopping free radicals and may actually promote them under the right conditions. I think I also read somewhere that the acetate version penetrates the skin better.

Right, since the acetate is a fraction of the whole, they might well penetrate better.

tocopherols as an oil "preservative" against oxidation can go the other way too. Too much and it makes oils go rancid faster than without any at all. 

BTW, the FDA is issuing letters again against drug claims in skin care. 

https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2017/ucm564189.htm