Mason Jar Aroma Beads

JeremyM

I just found this thread Saturday night lol and rushed to buy the solar salts TallTayl mentioned. I had bought a 5-pound box of Aroma beads. And was trying to figure out how to make it cheaper. so I'm going to use the aroma beads that I still have as well.  Went to the store Sunday and bought  the solar salt and was excited because it was $6.99 for 40 lb bag! I have a few questions though. Okay I measured 2 pounds  of solar salts with 2 Oz fragrance. I made this yesterday afternoon at around 4 PM. They aren't dry yet but they are starting to dry up. It is going on 9 A. M. It is Old School Library scent and I dyed them a beige brown. These rocks are beautiful. And very strong I can smell it in the kitchen and they're in the back room in the bag. Lol I was looking online and I see people are selling them for outrageous prices. The sellers are also telling people you have to use a whole pound in one room or it won't work. That is not true because you can put these in organza 1 oz.  bags correct? Also the people were saying you have to buy refresher oil and refresh the beads every couple of days. And they are selling the refresher oil for $8.99 for a 1 oz! To me that sounds like they're trying to just gouge people like crazy. Don't these crystals keep flavor for a long time? What would be a good price for these to sell online and I will have to pay fees as well. I don't want to rip anyone off. I just can't imagine selling a pound jar of these for $16. I saw that the seller was selling them like hotcakes too. I also don't want to cut them down and be too cheap because that's not right either. But I don't want to overcharge people and gouge  them either so what do I do? I do want to make a lot of money but I also want to give people a good deal. I am very honest and I don't want to do anything wrong.

Edited by ShelleyF

It’s an impossible question to answer for you. The answer relies on so many factors, like your target market, brand, selling venue, packaging, choice of scents, etc.

take your base cost for the entire product including packaging, shipping for things to get to you,etc.  times about 4 and see if it comes close to what you would be comfortable selling it for.  I see nothing wrong with selling a lb jar for $16 plus if your market will bear it. My fragrances cost a whole heckuva lot of money. My time is a finite precious resource.  Why pass up profit opportunity? If someone loves them well enough to pay what I ask who am I to say it’s not worth it? 

“You” are probably not your best target market. Trying to sell to people just like you will be difficult since “you” will likely just make it yourself. Know what I mean? It takes money, real money, to keep a business afloat. 

As as far as how long they will last, you just gotta bite the bullet and test them. Some fragrances will do well. Others won’t. Some I made with excellent quality FO lasted over a year. Stir them around a bit and they recharged themselves. But offering a refresher oil is a really nice side item. 

• Like 1

I looked at them online at several places.  Most places were selling them for 20-25$ a lb in a standup ziptop bag.  Some came with refresher oils and didn't.   From what i gathered from reviews and all made it seem like people were buying them due to there unique shapes and sizes of the salt/crystals.  I love how they look and admit the fact that they are not identical in shape and size makes them a more unique item to buy.  It love the idea that it would be a cheaper way to make a scented item than aroma beads since you can buy the salt locally.  I do love the idea of aroma beads as well since you can make shaped car ornies with them.  Honestly i would be in trouble if i had to pick one over the other lol.

• Like 1

@ShellyF I will be interested in hearing how your salts perform as in how long before a small dish of them has to be refreshed.  Would be great if they last as long or longer than a melting tart.

You said "I love how they look and admit the fact that they are not identical in shape and size makes them a more unique item to buy."  I'd love to see how they turned out.  Would you post a picture? :)

GoldieMN

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 9:55 PM, TallTayl said:

It’s an impossible question to answer for you. The answer relies on so many factors, like your target market, brand, selling venue, packaging, choice of scents, etc.

take your base cost for the entire product including packaging, shipping for things to get to you,etc.  times about 4 and see if it comes close to what you would be comfortable selling it for.  I see nothing wrong with selling a lb jar for $16 plus if your market will bear it. My fragrances cost a whole heckuva lot of money. My time is a finite precious resource.  Why pass up profit opportunity? If someone loves them well enough to pay what I ask who am I to say it’s not worth it? 

“You” are probably not your best target market. Trying to sell to people just like you will be difficult since “you” will likely just make it yourself. Know what I mean? It takes money, real money, to keep a business afloat. 

As as far as how long they will last, you just gotta bite the bullet and test them. Some fragrances will do well. Others won’t. Some I made with excellent quality FO lasted over a year. Stir them around a bit and they recharged themselves. But offering a refresher oil is a really nice side item. 

I don't know why I didn't get any of the  replies until this morning. I know the oils are very expensive. I will definitely price each item out and see. I know local won't pay top prices to people around here are cheap. but I can sell a little cheaper to them since I won't have Amazon and eBay fees for local pickup. I found another store that sells it for a dollar cheaper that's even closer to my house so I'm going to go there. It's at Tractor Supply. I bought the crystals what is the difference between the crystals and  the pellets? The pallets were cheaper but I didn't know what it was. The pellets were called water softening pellets. The ones I bought were called solar salt crystals. lol this is a very confusing business but everyone on here is so helpful and I am learning a lot. Thank you very much for helping me.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:08 PM, ncraiders said:

I looked at them online at several places.  Most places were selling them for 20-25$ a lb in a standup ziptop bag.  Some came with refresher oils and didn't.   From what i gathered from reviews and all made it seem like people were buying them due to there unique shapes and sizes of the salt/crystals.  I love how they look and admit the fact that they are not identical in shape and size makes them a more unique item to buy.  It love the idea that it would be a cheaper way to make a scented item than aroma beads since you can buy the salt locally.  I do love the idea of aroma beads as well since you can make shaped car ornies with them.  Honestly i would be in trouble if i had to pick one over the other lol.

Wow I didn't see it for those prices the highest I saw it was for $16. Was that on Amazon I haven't checked theirs? I had found it on eBay. I want to sell on both and I already know my prices are going to be higher on Amazon because the fees are higher. But the traffic on there is phenomenal I've heard. I don't make ornaments. For one thing my oven would be on and I'm not turning it on in this heat. Plus it makes your electric bill go up and I don't need that either. But I think they are very cute. Thank you for your help. 

9 hours ago, Belinda said:

I'd actually forgot all about this thread and I was SO excited last year when I read it LOL! Now I've got to try the salt thing. Where did y'all buy your salt and what exactly is it called? 

I bought mine at Lowes but then found out is a dollar cheaper at Tractor Supply. Normally I wouldn't worry about a dollar but Tractor Supply is closer to my house lol Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals. thank you for your help as you are always helpful as well as the rest of them on lots of posts. 

Edited by ShelleyF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@ShellyF I will be interested in hearing how your salts perform as in how long before a small dish of them has to be refreshed.  Would be great if they last as long or longer than a melting tart.

You said "I love how they look and admit the fact that they are not identical in shape and size makes them a more unique item to buy."  I'd love to see how they turned out.  Would you post a picture? :)

GoldieMN

I tried burning some yesterday and they  do burn for hours really strong. I had burned mine that had the fragrance dry in there.  But the rocks that are already dry I don't think would burn well for other people. Because I can put the rocks with just the fragrance in the burner. So I guess you could soak the rocks let them dry out and then sell them the refresher oil so they could just add more to it? It's hard to explain what I'm talking about. I will try to take a picture in a little while. Trying to let the coffee kick in right now lol I didn't realize anybody wrote me back until this morning I didn't get any notifications on here but in my email I did. I have a bad habit of not checking my e-mail a lot. Got to get better with that. And thank you because you're very helpful on the posts as well. 

11 hours ago, Belinda said:

I'd actually forgot all about this thread and I was SO excited last year when I read it LOL! Now I've got to try the salt thing. Where did y'all buy your salt and what exactly is it called? 

“Solar salt” for water softeners is super. It usually offers different crystal sizes within each bag. 

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

LOL I didn't realize you put these in a burner.  Thought they were just placed in a dish to scent the air.  :lol:

GoldieMN

I use them either way. The large crystals in a pretty bowl in a bathroom, for instance, provides a lot of beautiful scent with no heat needed. 

• Like 2

LOL I didn't realize you put these in a burner.  Thought they were just placed in a dish to scent the air.  :lol:

GoldieMN

You do put them in a dish to scent the air. Oh so you can put in a organza back or a mason jar. But you can put them in a burner too.

4 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I don't know why I didn't get any of the  replies until this morning. I know the oils are very expensive. I will definitely price each item out and see. I know local won't pay top prices to people around here are cheap. but I can sell a little cheaper to them since I won't have Amazon and eBay fees for local pickup. I found another store that sells it for a dollar cheaper that's even closer to my house so I'm going to go there. It's at Tractor Supply. I bought the crystals what is the difference between the crystals and  the pellets? The pallets were cheaper but I didn't know what it was. The pellets were called water softening pellets. The ones I bought were called solar salt crystals. lol this is a very confusing business but everyone on here is so helpful and I am learning a lot. Thank you very much for helping me.

There is an older thread that says not to use the pellets. But I can't remember why. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sebleo said:

There is an older thread that says not to use the pellets. But I can't remember why. 

Thank you. I have the crystals and will just use them. They are beautiful, pearly whites. So the white ones I will not dye for coconut scents. 

12 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

GoldieMN

I just remembered I need  to post  pictures. This is Old School Library. It smells  amazing. I'm not selling in this jar. I am selling in pretty organza bags and new jars. This is for me. Also I have a lightbox that TallTayl recommended on here from an old thread. I will be using the lightbox for my real pictures. 

IMG_20180725_153337072_LL.jpg

IMG_20180725_153344270_LL.jpg

Edited by ShelleyF
Added more info

Oh my, those are very nice!  I love the color.  I might try my hand at making up some small jars since I have tops with stars cut out of them.  And I have quite a few discontinued or sample fragrances I could use up.

Wouldn't the fragrance dissipate in an organza bag?  For selling, I mean.  Or do you put the crystals in a plastic bag inside the organza?

GoldieMN

• Like 1

Oh my, those are very nice!  I love the color.  I might try my hand at making up some small jars since I have tops with stars cut out of them.  And I have quite a few discontinued or sample fragrances I could use up.

Wouldn't the fragrance dissipate in an organza bag?  For selling, I mean.  Or do you put the crystals in a plastic bag inside the organza?

GoldieMN

I haven't sold any yet but read you can put them in there. I know the aroma beads can so I hope it's ok. Maybe someone will verify for us lol The star ones are very cute. I saw some of those the other day online. I just bought Daisy lids as I love them a lot and the price was great. I got 374 lids for $58 and that includes shipping. Ordered last Thursday afternoon and Satt morning it was delivered. It was on eBay and she ran out of some of the colors but might have some of them left. I'm not sure. I got pewter, orange, yellow, pink, white, and  ice blue. I love them especially the orange for Halloween. I'm going to make black licorice crystals with the orange Daisy lid. And some orange organza bags. I know I can't put them in Ziploc bags as it will suck the scent. Can I put in mylar? They are expensive but supposed to be tough. I never had any of those have you?

I have about six  hundred 1 oz. full ones  and about a hundred 1 oz. that are half full. A million big bottles lol I have issues. I get phenominal deals I have to get. I think everyone has this problem right? 

GoldieMN

Forgot to say these crystals don't take much liquid dyes. I used 1 drop for 2 pounds. 

Edited by ShelleyF
Added info

47 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

I have about six  hundred 1 oz. full ones  and about a hundred 1 oz. that are half full. A million big bottles lol I have issues. I get phenominal deals I have to get. I think everyone has this problem right? 

Ok, I'm not that bad. . .yet. . . lol  I was going to get rid of about half of what I have just because I didn't think I would ever use them.  We will see if I actually do it. :lol:

GoldieMN

• Like 1

Ok, I'm not that bad. . .yet. . . lol  I was going to get rid of about half of what I have just because I didn't think I would ever use them.  We will see if I actually do it. :lol:

GoldieMN

You should keep it. The price of oils is awful. I have a hard time making ones I hate though lol I hate Patchouli but people love it and some of  my family loves it  too.