Am getting so sick of fighting with soy wax

On 6/26/2017 at 8:59 AM, TallTayl said:

Way back when I started containers with J233. It threw very well, but could soot if not careful.

Then switched when the J waxes were sold and changed. Went with soy since it was the thing to do and did Ok for a while. It sure is expensive and time consuming to master as opposed to other waxes. 

None of the waxes are immune from reformulation ?, but geez why so wildly different when changing hands? Cost to manufacture?

I love J223 too I used to mix it with soy 70% soy 30% J223. 

When I did the mix I was able to pour hot and had none of those craters the coloring was a lot prettier too. I used cotton wicks and CD's

• Like 1

In all honesty, my hypothesis is that the soy issue that was announced by ecosoya is actually industry wide. Ecosoya was the only place forthcoming with the facts.

very few plants process soy beans for all soy uses. The changes made to comply with the FDA requirements span the entire soy wax, oil, etc. base. Soy wax by chandlers is a secondary market. Ever read the uses on many soy waxes having food as an intended use? Each soy wax brand buys buys from the same pool, just like every brand of paper clip we buy is made at one of two factories, KWIM. 

We are ALL facing problems burning these new batches regardless of the brand. 

• Like 1

I have a lot of people ask if the candles are soy. I say its a soy blend because I use a parasoy. Conversation always stops there and I never have any issues.

Also, for the whole candles vs melts thing. There is still a big market for both IMO.

I still sell more candles than melts. But I sell both.

I use a lot of 6006 and haven't had any major issues like straight soy. I have noticed an occasional different in the wax (as it appears to me) but its never made a change in my candles.. at least not a noticeable ones that require wick changes. Ive had the same with 4630 before though as well which is all parrafin. So I think the risk is there across the board.

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

The problem with sending them a sample back is this: they probably won't find anything wrong, because no way would they be able to conduct the same exact tests you have done, simply because their environment is going to be different, so their results, (good or bad) are going to be skewed compared to yours. And in reality manufactures are typically not candle makers. They make the wax, sell the wax, and profit from the sales of the wax, yes, but they don't spend the hours and hours testing different scenarios in candle testing that we do, so they probably wouldn't even have a clue where to begin... 

I didn't think they would make a candle out of the wax but would have ways to check the soy to see if it was up to their specifications/whatever.

Goldie

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

In all honesty, my hypothesis is that the soy issue that was announced by ecosoya is actually industry wide. Ecosoya was the only place forthcoming with the facts.

very few plants process soy beans for all soy uses. The changes made to comply with the FDA requirements span the entire soy wax, oil, etc. base. Soy wax by chandlers is a secondary market. Ever read the uses on many soy waxes having food as an intended use? Each soy wax brand buys buys from the same pool, just like every brand of paper clip we buy is made at one of two factories, KWIM. 

We are ALL facing problems burning these new batches regardless of the brand. 

What issues did Ecosoya cop to?  I didn't hear this. 

• 3 weeks later...

As I wait a loooooooooooooong two-weeks for my test jars made with a new box of 464, I can't help but think how frustrated those of you with wholesale accounts are feeling.  I only sell about two dozen fragrances retail and am frustrated.  *shudder*  

Goldie

• Like 1