Warning ⚠️Rustic Escentuals

Nickie

Once again, I am having issues with oils from Rustic Escentuals. It was when I recently spoke with another lady on this forum having the same issues that I decided this post was the right decision. Here is goes....

After testing and testing and more testing, I have come to the conclusion that RE's one ounce bottle oils are stronger in wax, than that of their larger bottles. Period. Either they or one of their suppliers are responsible for the potency being downgraded when buying any bottle over 1 ounce. 

This issue I speak of has happened to me with 3 separate oils, 3 different times. I bought 1 ounce bottles of fragrance for testing in my wax blend and when burned, all 3 oils met my 24 hour required strong throw requirement. So I went back and bought larger bottles of each one and I tested them in the same wax blend, with the exact same process. When tested the wax that I made with the oil in the larger bottles, I was left with a light throw between 30 min-1.5 hours!!!!

No, I don't have candle nose (testing was done 6 months apart on the first and second round testing). No, it is not the waxes (all are from the same lots). I contacted RE to ask for advise, I was greeted by utterly rude and extremely offensive commentary. I emailed back and forth with them for nearly a week, but never was I given a straight answer. This lady talked in circles, making me feel like I was actually living in groundhog's day. I was disrespected, the company's where I purchased my waxes were also blamed and disrespected. They went as far as to say that their oils are NOTguaranteed to work in any wax other then their own. (I went back and tested them with KY tartwax with the same results). I would be happy to post the very hateful responses I was given from this company. 

After none of my questions were answered, I felt like the only thing I could do was leave feedback on the oils in question on their website for others, BUT my ratings were never posted to their site, as I gave a one-star review on those 3 oils. So I started to look closer....I looked at every oil they sell and there is NOT ONE OIL on their entire site that has a rating below that of 3 stars. It is safe to say their rating system is an outright scam of lies that are highly skewed, as they are governing every single post below the 3-star mark. When I have posted ratings on other sites, I hit enter and they went up immediately. On this site, you get an actual notification that THEY will review the rating (and apparently not use it, if they don't like what you've said). 

Shocking. Shocking. I can promise you all that if a company is shady enough to have a skewed rating system, they ARE also shady enough to step on their own oils in larger bottle format. There are soooooo many companies out there who do things right, please don't waste your hard earned money with this company. They are an absolute joke. This hobby is expensive enough, without a company taking your money and giving you the middle finger in return. 

Weird, because they hand decant all sizes of bottles at the same time. I have watched live video. Several Women sit with pitchers directly from the keg and pour into the sizes of bottles. The picking shelves are stocked with all of the bottles of all sizes. I'll search for photos...

• Like 2

Wondering, because this recently happened to me, did you get a new batch of wax or wicks between tests?

My wax lot changed so much I ended up spending a month tweaking before my biggest event of the year. My case of 1,000 wicks was not working with it. I ended up changing BOTH wax blend and wick manufacturer to solve my problem. 

I've not run into this issue at all.  I have several that I use that I started with 1 oz bottles and they have all smelled and performed well from one order to the next.  I should state that I don't use them in candles though, only B&B products.

• Like 1

It's very frustrating, but I have purchased from them for a long time and have never noticed inconsistencies in the fo.  My guess is that it was a different batch of fo and something went askew.  No excuse for them being rude, I won't buy from suppliers that do that to me.

• Like 1

I've not had that problem with them but like you, I think it's rude and deceitful for a supplier to offer a feedback option but then won't put your response about a certain oil up.  I do love RE though and really hate to hear about all of this. I wouldn't buy from them either if they got rude with me like that and wouldn't put my review up. 

That's one thing I can say for NG. They put your review up regardless of what it is and so does WSP, Lone Star, FB and Peak from what I can see. I wish more companies would offer that option like Candlewic and JS. 

What Belinda said, NG - WSP puts all reviews up. Good ,bad or indifferent. The more I order from WSP the more I really like them. I think They're oils are 

fantastic. Another supplier that screens reviews is ICS. Anytime Ive ordered from her by bottles come with no electrical tape or packaging of any sort.

Im shocked I haven't had one spill or break open. Sorry to hear about your experience :( 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Wondering, because this recently happened to me, did you get a new batch of wax or wicks between tests?

My wax lot changed so much I ended up spending a month tweaking before my biggest event of the year. My case of 1,000 wicks was not working with it. I ended up changing BOTH wax blend and wick manufacturer to solve my problem. 

I am making tarts, so the wicking issue does not  apply. As far as the wax, I reached out to my wax manufacturer and they were amazing in helping me. They told me that the wax I was using was from the same batch, so there was no difference in the waxes I used. I also went back and tested the 3 fragrances in KY tart wax (since RE said that their oils were not guaranteed to work any wax other than thier waxes), but the throw with the KY tart wax was the same as with my wax blend. 

The fragrances I had problems with are as follows: 

lavender vanilla 

bondfire bliss

Pink sugar (anquiola type)

I don't know if you guys have had the any experiences with these oils. 

Believe me, I would love it to be an issue with the wax or something else, but I just don't think it is. But I am certainly open to hearing any suggestions. I am very torn because I think they have one of the best oils selections out there, with many I love. In the one once bottles anyway. 

3 hours ago, Shari said:

I've not run into this issue at all.  I have several that I use that I started with 1 oz bottles and they have all smelled and performed well from one order to the next.  I should state that I don't use them in candles though, only B&B products.

The smell OOTB is there, they just are not performing in wax. I do think all of these oils with work in B and B. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I've not had that problem with them but like you, I think it's rude and deceitful for a supplier to offer a feedback option but then won't put your response about a certain oil up.  I do love RE though and really hate to hear about all of this. I wouldn't buy from them either if they got rude with me like that and wouldn't put my review up. 

That's one thing I can say for NG. They put your review up regardless of what it is and so does WSP, Lone Star, FB and Peak from what I can see. I wish more companies would offer that option like Candlewic and JS. 

Belinda outside of RE who is your fav supplier for oils. I thought RE would be my go-to, but I'm not rethinking everything. Do you like NG?  

19 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

What Belinda said, NG - WSP puts all reviews up. Good ,bad or indifferent. The more I order from WSP the more I really like them. I think They're oils are 

fantastic. Another supplier that screens reviews is ICS. Anytime Ive ordered from her by bottles come with no electrical tape or packaging of any sort.

Im shocked I haven't had one spill or break open. Sorry to hear about your experience :( 

Thank you to all of you for your kind words and support!  

I have never ever tried oils from WSP and what is holding me back is the price. I do believe you get why you pay for tho!  Do the price not effect the end price of your finished items?  

3 minutes ago, Nickie said:

Belinda outside of RE who is your fav supplier for oils. I thought RE would be my go-to, but I'm not rethinking everything. Do you like NG?  

I really like NG a lot! I also like FB's oils, Peak, CS, Backwoods (just wish they had a larger selection) and Cajun's (which doesn't get mentioned on here much but they  have some really good oils). I also like several from JS, WSP, DS and Candlewic. 

Lone Star has a good selection but I've not had good luck with most of theirs. Could just be me though. I also use Texas Candle supply and I forgot to mention The Candle Source has really good oils. I think I like his better than ICS oils, which I have a lot of too. For some reason though, some of ICS oils seem weak to me and I guess it's just that way with every supplier, but I do use several of Kathy's oils. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickie said:

I have never ever tried oils from WSP and what is holding me back is the price. I do believe you get why you pay for tho!  Do the price not effect the end price of your finished items?  

I can totally see your point about the price of WSP's oils. However, I'd say about once a year they have a sale for about 35% off their fragrance oils. If you buy from them then, and also pretend that you're getting another $2-$3 or so off per pound (depending on how much you buy) because of the fact that they offer free shipping, their prices become as good as anybody else, sometimes better. But I must advise that you have your list all made out and ready to go when the sale hits, because pretty quickly they run out of stock on some of the more popular ones.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gsmakinsoap said:

I can totally see your point about the price of WSP's oils. However, I'd say about once a year they have a sale for about 35% off their fragrance oils. If you buy from them then, and also pretend that you're getting another $2-$3 or so off per pound (depending on how much you buy) because of the fact that they offer free shipping, their prices become as good as anybody else, sometimes better. But I must advise that you have your list all made out and ready to go when the sale hits, because pretty quickly they run out of stock on some of the more popular ones.

Great advise ! Thats what happened to me, I wasn't prepared  and most of the oils sold out. Ill post about some new ones

I just received soon. The pineapple cilantro and Mango Sorbet are so good. So is the ice tea twist. 

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gsmakinsoap said:

Great tip!  Thank you!  

Thanks to all of your for your support!  I love all of you!  And I love this forum!....nothing else like it out there!  I have learned so much from reading and reading and asking and sharing!  ?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Belinda said:

I really like NG a lot! I also like FB's oils, Peak, CS, Backwoods (just wish they had a larger selection) and Cajun's (which doesn't get mentioned on here much but they  have some really good oils). I also like several from JS, WSP, DS and Candlewic. 

Belinda what ones have you had good luck with and like from Cajun's?  I was thinking of placing a order to try them out.

7 minutes ago, babyrn said:

Belinda what ones have you had good luck with and like from Cajun's?  I was thinking of placing a order to try them out.

I love their cream brûlée, banana nut bread (smells like the one from CS to my nose), buttercream crunch, chocolate fudge brownie, christmas mulberry, mulberry madness, georgia peach, honey dew melon, and I think I have a few more from there but I'd have to look. I didn't like their autumn spice for some reason. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thought about you today @Nickie.

When you wrote that your initial testing was performed several months apart I can totally see how your results are drastically different. 6 months ago the air in my house was bone dry, and the heaters were on. Now the air is heavy with humidity. The AC and ceiling fans run around the clock. 

This morning I had 12, yes 12, full size candles burning in my kitchen testing different blends and wick combos along side the freshly filled wax warmer. Could barely smell a thing unless I was right over the wax warmer if you can believe that. I specifically used fragrance that throws even in the worst of waxes.

Then I walked downstairs into the basement. As I descended the stairs I could smell the layers of fragrances. The whole basement was so powerfully scented my eyes and throat began to tingle. The scented parts of the air are too heavy to waft to the higher levels where my nose picks up the scent.

I urge you to think about the conditions surrounding your testing as you analyze performance. test some of those original tiny bottles now and see.

• Like 5

On 6/6/2017 at 2:32 PM, Belinda said:

WSP + Peak in particular put up ALL feedback. Good ,bad or indifferent. I like that in a company . To me it shows that they are aware that not everyone will

have the same results with their FO etc and are fine with that. Both have exceptional oils, of course they have duds like everyone else but in general I really

like their oils + both have very good customer service. I find ICS does this as well, not posting bad or so so reviews, thats wrong in my opinion. If they're 

willing to lie or be deceitful about something like a review what else would they lie about. Of course this is only my opinion.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Thought about you today @Nickie.

When you wrote that your initial testing was performed several months apart I can totally see how your results are drastically different. 6 months ago the air in my house was bone dry, and the heaters were on. Now the air is heavy with humidity. The AC and ceiling fans run around the clock. 

This morning I had 12, yes 12, full size candles burning in my kitchen testing different blends and wick combos along side the freshly filled wax warmer. Could barely smell a thing unless I was right over the wax warmer if you can believe that. I specifically used fragrance that throws even in the worst of waxes.

Then I walked downstairs into the basement. As I descended the stairs I could smell the layers of fragrances. The whole basement was so powerfully scented my eyes and throat began to tingle. The scented parts of the air are too heavy to waft to the higher levels where my nose picks up the scent.

I urge you to think about the conditions surrounding your testing as you analyze performance. test some of those original tiny bottles now and see.

Very interesting ! You really know your shi*** lol ! As always TT Im very impressed with all of your knowledge :) 

• Like 1

This was more of a coulda had a v-8 knock on the side of the head moment, @Moonstar

really. It was. It makes zero sense how a vendor could cut only certain bottles or things when they have thousands to keep track of. Sometimes the problem is right in our own homes. 

• Like 3

On 7/13/2017 at 7:14 PM, TallTayl said:

This was more of a coulda had a v-8 knock on the side of the head moment, @Moonstar

really. It was. It makes zero sense how a vendor could cut only certain bottles or things when they have thousands to keep track of. Sometimes the problem is right in our own homes. 

Thank you for thinking about this for soooo long, and further, taking the time to respond. I agree that this does make tons more sense and like Moonstar I do totally trust you and your opinion. I will think about this further and try to do some testing around this idea. Believe me, I want what you're saying to be the truth, as I love soooo many of RE's oils. One thing that I didn't think of until you mentioned this is I got a brand new HVAC system in January, which is more powerful in many ways than the previous one. Not long after this is when I started having the issues. I want to go back to those small bottles once again now, as you have suggested. Thank you so much for your input!  

Since this post, I have gone out and bought oils from other suppliers trying to compare. I don't have any solid findings just yet cause I'm still testing, but I will know more soon. Regardless, more testing could never be a bad thing....right?!  

Many thanks....seriously!!  

• Like 1