Push'n the envelope...

Sponiebr

Narrator: When last we saw our boy wonder of karmic debt increasing BAD ideas he was fixing his car... Let's see what boy genius is up to these days hmmm?

Oh hi everybody! (ha-ha)

I'm pushing the envelope here people... Yep. (haha) Bad ideas a'cook'n! AND HOW! 

So I just molded this with a hanger swirl.
593621db1bd08_FHTHP1000wishes57watersuperloose06052017.jpg.56d460bac73184d1af287fc5a9c59eb0.jpg

Pretty standard looking stuff... right? 

WRONG. 

This is Hot Process... Specifically, high temperature fluid hot process. 57% water content (aloe juice actually) Like I said, I'm pushing the envelope.
I gots silk, yogurt, and kaolin clay in there too with kind of a floral scent... (Seems like it's got plumeria and pikake...) 

Funny thing is even with all of that liquid it didn't go thin, (I mean it was TOUGH stirring), until I added the sodium lactate, and then it went THIN...
(crowd screams) "How thin WAS it?"

Like light medium trace CP THIN was how thin it was.

Yep! HP that poured and swirled like CP.

Can't wait to see what the shrinkage rate on THIS is gonna be like 1f642.png:) I may knock it into blocks and then let those cure and then cut them with a wire.

Slainte!

Narrator: "My, my what that weirdo won't do... Oh well kiddo's that all the time we have for now! Tune in next time for another installment of
"WEIRDO'S FROM THE SWAAAAAAAAMP!!!" BUHAAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!! " 

o.O 
Sponiebr: Envelope pusher, sender, and executor of Bad Ideas, Bad Karmic Debt, and Sundry Services. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barbara AL said:

What you didn't use Honey? Just Sodium Lactate?

:lol: :soapbabydance:

Well, there's the white sugar, 2 tblsps worth, I thought that'd be enough. I only use honey in my honey oatmeal milk soap, and frankly if it wasn't in the name I'd drop the honey altogether.

Actually, thinking along those lines could I just put a drop or 2 of honey in the OMH soap and sub out the rest with white sugar or does there have to be a minimum % to validate the claim that "Y" contains "X"?  It's 1% isn't it? 

@bfroberts It wasn't bad at all... It worked like CP into the mold only it tended to skim over pretty quickly. My main fear was that it was going to fall, but when I came back today while it had sunk a smidge, it wasn't really noticeable except to me. It's in the freezer chill'n right now so I can get it out of the liner and exposed to some air.   

Ok! So here's the cut: o.O (shush now... Just take it in...) 

761c7ba7f3.jpg 

A close up showing the weird little transparent polka dots, (they're solid) 

76379bdc96.jpg

And another shot of the same bar to try and show the same region of (whatever those things are)...  

76417d52f0.jpg

Yeah, they're SOFT, like refrigerated butter soft, but that's no surprise. The weird clear polka dots, THAT'S a little surprising... What the hell are those things, stearic acid? TD? They're still cold from the freezer so that's the sheen... 

Well, when one does weird Sche!ße one SHOULD expect weird Sche!ße to happen... 

Slainte! 

Sponiebr: We be Bad Ideas 'n Sche!ße...  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Yeah, they're SOFT, like refrigerated butter soft, but that's no surprise. The weird clear polka dots, THAT'S a little surprising... What the hell are those things, stearic acid? TD? They're still cold from the freezer so that's the sheen... 

I would assume they are akin to glycerin rivers given the high % of water used. That would be my best guess anyway. 

It will be interesting to see how they shrink and if they warp from all the evaporating they have to do. 

• Like 1

Weigh several bars now, and the. Again every day for a few weeks, until the shrinking stops .

i tried that extreme method of HP when it first came out and after a very short time the bars sunk in and the colors really morphed badly. I'll try to find pictures.

i still have some of the bars somewhere. Came across them in a big shop cleanout. They lather well, but are extremely ugly and wear very quickly. 

Like BFroberts, I go the other direction and use little water so the size and weight remain pretty close from cutting to packaging. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Weigh several bars now, and the. Again every day for a few weeks, until the shrinking stops .

i tried that extreme method of HP when it first came out and after a very short time the bars sunk in and the colors really morphed badly. I'll try to find pictures.

i still have some of the bars somewhere. Came across them in a big shop cleanout. They lather well, but are extremely ugly and wear very quickly. 

Like BFroberts, I go the other direction and use little water so the size and weight remain pretty close from cutting to packaging. 

Not a bad idea. I'll pull a couple and see what I lose. Any thoughts on how to get rid of glycerine rivers? Polysorbate 80 maybe? 

When was this made? I do still think that there will be much more shrinkage. HP or not, this is still a relatively new soap - if made when first posted. Means it's less than a week old, so give it another 2 weeks for total shrinkage/water loss and how misshapen it gets. 

• Like 1

Oh there will be more, lots more in the coming weeks. The large faces will begin to suck in last. Your soap will cure for several months, losing quite a bit more. 

With lower water batches the shrink appears more or less equal on the bar. High water distorts them much more visibly, especially hp. Just give it time. 

You may may want to compare water loss on normal batches over several months to compare and get a sense of how your final products will appear in customer hands. It impacts your labels/packaging and net weight. 

• Like 1

I stopped getting glycerin rivers when I started using 50-50 lye solution and using milks or other liquids as the rest of my liquid %. I only use enough water to dissolve the lye basically. I also use the TD you mix with oil. Love hate relationship with that..ha!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Got my first stable weight today, same as yesterday 121 g and 135 g. I'm watching 2 specific bars. 

Give it time. It takes weeks on non humid days to cure. My high water hp started getting shrunken a couple of months out, when a customer would have them, usually. 

• Like 1

Here is what my high water ho ended up like. The centers always cure last. Shrunken head syndrome and sides and especially faces. These are much worse irl.  The colors morphed badly over time too. 

Took way more than a month to reach epic fugly. 

IMG_1351.JPG

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Here is what my high water ho ended up like. The centers always cure last. Shrunken head syndrome and sides and especially faces. These are much worse irl.  The colors morphed badly over time too. 

Took way more than a month to reach epic fugly. 

Do I detect a weensy bit of bitterness? FARK'N WATER! Don't worry TT, I'm drink'n the Favoraide too...( Cherry to be exact...) They're shrinking... and I'll bevel the edges and all will be good. If I have to plane them then, I have to plane them.  It was an experiment to test scthuffs. I was at 43% water on this last batch, and I'm getting a tiny bit of warping. I'm dialing it back to 40% water on this batch and we'll see!