New Wax - Serious issues! Help!

I have been using GW416 and tried to save some money on shipping with a different company, so I order the akosoy LP416, which I was under the impression was the same wax. (Ordered from Southern Scentsations, aka great candle.com)  I've attached pics of my test batch with this wax. Not quite 24 hours out on the pour, cold throw is good, but the tops, omg the tops! I've never had this happen with a wax. Does this mean the wax is just crap wax and I've wasted my money? (Bought a 50lb box of it!) or do I need to blend with a parasoy blend wax like ProBlend 650 so I don't have a total loss? Or will a heat gun, if I get one, fix this problem? Have anyone ever used this wax for tarts? It's not the oils, t first I thought it was so I used a different oil from a different company and same thing. Can anyone give any suggestions on what to do? I just got crankin on getting my scents out and they've been awesome! Now this... It's totally disheartening. ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Scents and Warmers
typo

Well to me it looks like a pouring temperature thing.  If I pour too hot it will do that at times....then if too cool sometimes I will get the same thing.

Do a repour on the top or use a heat gun.  It doesn't look like any biggy....new wax you ordered needs testing.....like this.   I really don't think it is a major thing.

Trappeur

• Like 2

I get this with C3 if I don't "temper" (for lack of a better word)  my wax.  Basically I heat my wax to 200, turn it off, let it completely solidify and then heat again.

To save time, I always fill my heating pot with wax when I finish working and heat it till all melted and then turn it off and the next day if I want to work again it's ready.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Well to me it looks like a pouring temperature thing.  If I pour too hot it will do that at times....then if too cool sometimes I will get the same thing.

Do a repour on the top or use a heat gun.  It doesn't look like any biggy....new wax you ordered needs testing.....like this.   I really don't think it is a major thing.

Trappeur

I'm so mad at myself for ordering a different wax, but I honestly thought it was the same wax and tried to save a few bucks. Bet I won't do that again, lol. I had the gw down pat after a month of testing. I'll try a lower temp, I had been pouring at 150-160 with my gw416. I mixed it with my ProBlend 650 and it made a perfect top. After the fact, I've read others are having the same issue. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scents and Warmers said:

I'm so mad at myself for ordering a different wax, but I honestly thought it was the same wax and tried to save a few bucks. Bet I won't do that again, lol. I had the gw down pat after a month of testing. I'll try a lower temp, I had been pouring at 150-160 with my gw416. I mixed it with my ProBlend 650 and it made a perfect top. After the fact, I've read others are having the same issue. 

Per your advice, I dropped the temp down to 150 for the pour, better has a couple minor dips in some of them. I think I'm going to drop it down to 140-145 and see if that eliminates the problem completely. I also upped my coconut oil in the wax. Thanks so much for the help! Now, let's hope the wax is as good as the other with the throw! I ordered some KY Parasoy mix from Rustic, do you happen to know what percentage of paraffin they have in it? They don't specify on their page. I've heard a lot of great feedback on that wax. Some oils just need that paraffin boost' so I ordered some to try. Thanks again!

On 6/1/2017 at 3:51 PM, kandlekrazy said:

I get this with C3 if I don't "temper" (for lack of a better word)  my wax.  Basically I heat my wax to 200, turn it off, let it completely solidify and then heat again.

To save time, I always fill my heating pot with wax when I finish working and heat it till all melted and then turn it off and the next day if I want to work again it's ready.

Ive never heard of doing that before, interesting. What exactly does the tempering do ? 

Yes it's in flat rock - I have been toying with making the drive to stock up wax but their website shows 415 as AAK waxes and then the initials GF415 where as CS it's golden brands GB.... I haven't used 416 but I think that's a golden brands wax also and the OP says it stated the initials LP 416 and on their website it's also under the AAK name

when I called she said it's the same wax as golden brands but they have another name as well.....seeing OP is having issues I may pass and stick with my source that's consistent 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Ive never heard of doing that before, interesting. What exactly does the tempering do ? 

There is a great thread on tempering in here somewhere from Stella I believe - I don't know the exact science behind it with wax but some swear by it and others do not find a difference, I guess you could say I temper because I use a turkey fryer and there is always wax left when I unplug it and it sets and then I re-warm when go to make candles again,  adding more wax as needed 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, moonshine said:

Yes it's in flat rock - I have been toying with making the drive to stock up wax but their website shows 415 as AAK waxes and then the initials GF415 where as CS it's golden brands GB.... I haven't used 416 but I think that's a golden brands wax also and the OP says it stated the initials LP 416 and on their website it's also under the AAK name

when I called she said it's the same wax as golden brands but they have another name as well.....seeing OP is having issues I may pass and stick with my source that's consistent 

There is a Golden Brnad 415 and then there's a Golden Brand GW416. What I ordered was akosoy lp416, which I thought was the same exact wax because it said AAk on it which Goldne Brand also owns AAK. The Golden Brand GW416 is awesome wax, I love it! But this stuff, omg I'm loathing it big time. Definitely not the same wax, I could feel the difference when I got it and reached in the bag. I'll never make that mistake again, lol. While I've got the tops to improve, they still aren't smooth and it's driving me crazy. I've poured at different tips, increased my coconut oil a tad, just doesn't matter. Not a good wax for melts. But, the scent throw is good with it, so I'll make do for now. I am excited tho, to get the KY para on Tuesday, I've heard so many awesome reviews on it. My scents are throwing for 2-3 days so I guess I shouldn't complain. Lol. 

"LP" is indicative of their Louisville, KY plant.   It's made there.      You're going the wrong direction with pour temps.   It pours better at a hotter temp than you'd expect with it being soy.    Heat in the Presto to 200*.   Dump into your pour pot.   Stir to incorporate fragrance.    Pour while still hot--you'll need to play with it to find the sweet spot that works best for you and your means/methods.

On 6/2/2017 at 4:03 PM, Moonstar said:

Sorry been working alot!  I guess it's been answered for you.  It really helps the tops of my wax to behave so I always prepare my pot when I finish so it's ready for the next time.  Usually by the time my scented wax is ready to pour my wax in the turkey fryer is all melted and I can turn it off and let it cool all ready to reheat when I get busy again!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No need to buy KY tart if you have 650. I recently received confirmation from Flaming Candle that these waxes are the same, from the same manufacturer. I asked because I thought maybe they were after working with both of them for a year....I couldn't tell a bit of difference between them at all. And that's because they are the same!  

Did the pour temp change help? 

A few of us soy users have noticed a change in their year's soy waxes. My C3 feels very different. The flakes feel wet and oily. The hot throw is way off.

Bought a case of 415 manufactured in March (from memory) and it, too, feels wet and is in need of wick changes from prior year's lots. 

My new cases of 415 also from March of this year are off 

I'm not sure what's going on here but I'm not liking it one bit - my burns have changed and system the same 

I too am curious if the pour temp helped at all...

I also ordered a small bag of the 416 akosoy formerly golden brands now turned golden wax aak and the melts look like poop

the tops are horrid so this could also be a wax difference and not thinking you bought the wrong wax @ scents and warmers - it does sound like you have the right stuff just a lp in front of the name for the plant like kris stated 

9 hours ago, moonshine said:

I'm not sure what's going on here but I'm not liking it one bit - my burns have changed and system the same 

I also ordered a small bag of the 416 akosoy formerly golden brands now turned golden wax aak and the melts look like poop

the tops are horrid so this could also be a wax difference and not thinking you bought the wrong wax @ scents and warmers - it does sound like you have the right stuff just a lp in front of the name for the plant like kris stated 

Changing the pour temp only helped a little, not enough to make a by difference in the appearance. I too have noticed a difference.n the feel of the wax. When I first got.in the.lp416 I reached in the.box and grabbed a handful, was so different feeling than the gw416, like others have sad, had an oily feel to it. It was at that moment I realized this wax just wasn't gonna be good wax.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Did the pour temp change help? 

A few of us soy users have noticed a change in their year's soy waxes. My C3 feels very different. The flakes feel wet and oily. The hot throw is way off.

Bought a case of 415 manufactured in March (from memory) and it, too, feels wet and is in need of wick changes from prior year's lots. 

Changing the pouring temp only helped a tad, not enough to make a good difference, so I've been blending it with my KY to get good tops And to not waste the 50lb box.I got. 

• Like 2

On June 23, 2017 at 11:16 PM, moonshine said:

The pour temp only helped a little, (I dropped the pour temp down to 145-150)  but did not smooth out the tops. And yes, the tops just look awful huh? Only way I could fix the issue was blending with another wax. The scent hold/throw is fine with the wax it's just the tops look terrible. Didn't take much on the blend, to do 4 clams I used only 2oz of a blender wax (have used KY and ProBlend) with 8oz of the lp416 and my coconut oil I always blend in and they turned out great. I'm still working on that scent list I told you I'd get, Moonshine... Been getting ready for our annual pig roast and have been swamped making sprays. Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgot about you. ?

• Like 1