I need help finding a medical grade lanolin for less

I am in the process of formulating a lip balm, and I hear lanolin is the bomb. After researching, I've discovered that there are basically two types: 1) the sheepy smelling USP stuff that has more impurities in it and can be found many places, and 2) medical grade lanolin that is pretty odorless and cleaner. The names for the clean stuff are Lansinoh and Medilan. Lansinoh may be using Medilan, not sure--didn't look too deep on that. Well, it turns out that about the cheapest I can find Lansinoh is 1.41 ozs for $6. And Medilan is made by Croda which I guess only sells to the big guys. There is someone in the UK who has managed to get some from them and sells it for a reasonable price, but, sadly, they don't ship to the US. I must say I'm quite surprised that there isn't someone (in the US) supplying this superior product to the small crafter. I saw many people mentioning their dislike of the odor of the regular stuff, and yet, no one is out there meeting the obvious demand for a better product. I should do it myself and make my millions. Well, I don't think there's a source, but just in case, I thought I'd ask all you nice folks here. 

Thanks, TT. I'm pretty sure cosmetic grade is the same as pharmaceutical grade (USP) which falls into the stinky category. I was looking at what TKBtrading.com sells, reading the comments, and someone specifically said they were disappointed that it wasn't flavorless like the Lansinoh stuff. I'm sure TKB's is the same stuff as what bulk apothecary and all the others sell. Someone in the comments of BA's lanolin also mentioned the smell. At Brambleberry's, someone's review of their "Ultra Refined" lanolin reads: "While it still does have an unpleasant smell it's much less than the unrefined."  Most people rave about lanolin because of its properties (on all the sites) but turns out it smells like sheep. IF the odorless stuff was available for a reasonable price, there's no way a crafter would choose the USP variety over it. Here's a quote from lisaliseblog.com:

"This lanolin has all the lovely, skin-loving properties that lanolin normally provides, but it is not heavy-smelling, sheepy-smelling, or anything else undesirable-smelling.
It's scent-free!
(insert little happy dance here)
Even though I have learned to blend essential oils that work with heavier-smelling ingredients like lanolin over the years, it's always a joy to have a little more freedom.
And unscented lanolin is pure unadulterated freedom."

She is referring to the aforementioned Medilan lanolin being sold by a company in the UK. Which won't ship to the US.

I currently use the anhydrous lanolin from Camden-Grey. I've also used the one from Bulk Apothecary before. It's the thick, waxy, gel type lanolin and I absolutely love it. It does not smell like sheep to me at all and it blends into whatever I use it in odorlessly.

If you want the liquid oil version you can buy that at Soaper's Choice.

• Like 1