Pulling My Hair Out - Wet Spots

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to candle-making and I'm hoping of selling them on Etsy once I'm happy with them but I can't get past the wet spots in my candles despite their scent-throw being fab. I've tried nearly all day today to create a candle that doesn't have any wet spots and for the life of me I can't and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've made sure my containers are super clean, I've tried pouring at lower temperatures, higher temperatures, with less scent, I've even left them in different rooms to set and nothing seems to make an ounce of difference. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and these little patches are driving me crazy. Are these wet spots just a natural part of candle-making and completely unavoidable? Do your customers care or even notice? Any advice or hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. Love always xo

Even if your candle is perfect with no wet spots in your shop, the second it goes out of your perfect scenario, like on a delivery truck to someone else's home, wet spots can start to form. 

If if they are really bothersome maybe a frosted surface container will hide them. 

I found most people do not stress one rink bit over things chandlers do. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Even if your candle is perfect with no wet spots in your shop, the second it goes out of your perfect scenario, like on a delivery truck to someone else's home, wet spots can start to form. 

If if they are really bothersome maybe a frosted surface container will hide them. 

I found most people do not stress one rink bit over things chandlers do. 

Thank you so much for your reply and bringing me back down to reality, I must get over trying to make them perfect and just enjoy making them.

I've thought about putting a label around the container or changing containers entirely to hide the bothersome wet patches but I just love the look of clear glass votives. 

I'm guessing the smell and the scent-throw is what most, if not all, people care about?

• Like 1

I've only poured a few candles so I'm not a very experienced chandler like most are on here, but even some that I've bought from wholesale companies and name brands have had wet spots. They never bothered me as a consumer and if I ever start making  candles to sell I don't think having a few wet spots will bother me as long as my customers are happy. I do like the look of candles being poured into a tin can too though so that would hide any wet spots that appear. But again, even in jars wet spots never bothered me.

• Like 1

The only people who care about wet spots are us home crafting chandlers. Literally nobody else cares. You will drive yourself crazy worrying about them, because, there's not much you can do to eliminate them to where they won't come back, so why worry when nobody cares? I don't even try to eliminate them anymore.

• Like 3

As everyone said, it is just a characteristic trait of soy.  If it bothers you that much still, make up a great looking label and once on the jar, the eye will gravitate to the label.  No one cares.....

Trappeur

• Like 1

It's very frustrating but you will get past the wet spots if you want to continue making soy candles.  Next time you are out shopping where they sell candles, take a look and it will make you feel better.  I use a frosted tumbler in some and they still show.  Opaque colored glass is about the only way you'll never see them.

• 3 weeks later...
On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:15 PM, Jcandleattic said:

The only people who care about wet spots are us home crafting chandlers. Literally nobody else cares. You will drive yourself crazy worrying about them, because, there's not much you can do to eliminate them to where they won't come back, so why worry when nobody cares? I don't even try to eliminate them anymore.

What she said ! !

I didn't even know what a wet spot was until I started making my own candles.

• Like 1