Fiddy Pound

Sponiebr

Fiddy pounds of lye... 

tumblr_m6a6je9ASU1qfomi2.gif

Yeah... 50 POUNDS OF LYE!  $1.7994 SHIPPED I COULDN'T say NO! I was like, actually unable to NOT buy that drum of lye...
***********************MINI RANT WARNING********************** 
I normally DON'T buy from BA because the quotes I see are always the absolute best case scenario after you purchase 1 gigaton and get the mail in manufacturer's rebate... S&H by FedEx or UPS GROUND only (because there is NO OTHER WAY to move 1 GIGATON of anything except by FedEx or UPS) which will be calculated at checkout.  And honestly I don't like to see adverts for $.92/lb lye only to find out I have to purchase 1/2 of the mass of a black hole to qualify for the $.92 per pound rate, (shipping and handling not included). Like I said I don't normally buy from Bulk... BUT!
******END MINI RANT********
At $1.79 shipped... That's even better than ED's regular price with me driving down and picking it up... Nope! I COULDN'T pass'm up.     

Ok... So... How do all y'all parse that MUCH hot mess out? I would guess that you DON'T scoop out your lye for each batch of soap straight from the bucket. What do you measure your lye out into? And how much do you take out at one time?

:biggrin:

Sponiebr: THE EXECUTOR OF BAD IDEAS and Sundry stuff... 

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I put a gamma seal on the pail to keep humidity and such out between uses and scoop right out of the pail. The gamma seal, if installed correctly, will protect it from floods too.

I don't know what this is but I AM convinced that I MUST HAVE ONE!

(Oh Rochester! Walk this way...)

Sponiebr 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

google them. it will bring out your inner prepper.

Yeah... my inner prepper's been off the chain and at large for WAAYYY too long. (I just scored 2000 ft of CAT5 <trust me, you DON'T wanna know> ) 

o.O <blink> O.O 

Sponiebr:The Executor of Bad Ideas Train-Wreck-Terrible Ideas and Sundry Services Whatever else floats across the expanse of my warped little mind... 

<Have you ordered that 50 lb. resealable container of lye from BA before? Or does anyone know if it's a round or a square bucket? >

i buy locally through Boyer Corp. never have bought this from ba, sorry. 

Given the the nature of the material, Boyer packs in round pails with tops that take King Kong to remove. There's no pull tab to release the pry off tabs, so I spend half an hour cutting with a razor hoping I don't slip. Then pry off the lid, which always breaks on me in the process ? Gamma seal pail to he rescue! I transfer mine from the Boyer pail to the gamma pail because the gamma lids are kind of permanent. Your new pail will be simple. Slap it on there and you'll be good to go for months.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first read this I thought it said you bought 50lbs for $1,7994.00 not $1.79 per lb. And I was thinking WHOA that is NOT a good price!! HAHA but $1.79 shipped, yeah, good price. :)

I worked for a phone/data installation company for a while so we have bails and bails of CAT5 wire laying around here. It's ridiculous, we are such hoarders of things we will NEVER use!! LOL 

I always buy the 32lbs from ED like Candy does, and I buy those about 4 times a year. Pretty much like clock work I run out about every quarter and have to replenish my supply.

I'm going to start looking finding a chemical company locally again when I get back to the states, so I can avoid shipping charges. I had one for about 8 years, then I took a long break from soaping and when I came back to it, they had gone out of business...