Damn... I think I've been hacked...

Woops! 

Looks like the "almost-professional" fairies got to my soap... 

JUST LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID! 

20170525_011946.thumb.jpg.fbdf214b2bf657df843ae62872ff2c63.jpg

Fark'n FAIRIES... (gotta blame somebody and it might as well be them) 

I'm using gummed kraft tape (the old fashioned kind you have to wet with water to activate the glue) them kaft laser/ink labels and that "its-not-really-tape-but-we-sell-it-as-tape" clear tape from the Dollar Tree. (probably need to use the inkjet as the copier/laser isn't stick'n too well) 

2 wrongs might not make a right but 3 lefts will... 

Sponiebr: Get'n closer... (Sometimes those bad ideas actually work....) 

• Like 1

I think the packaging looks good. but I may be biased. I'm partial to Kraft packaging. All of my labels for my candles, soaps, lotions, etc. are all done on brown/natural Kraft paper. 

Personally, however, if it were me, I would get rid of the "5% unsaponified oil content" 

Most consumers are not going to know what unsaponified means, and they will see 5% oil content and may think (if they are like me and are prone to oily skin anyway) there is free floating oil in the soap (which technically there is but not the way they will think) and will pass up the soap. 

I just know if it were me, and I saw that without knowing anything about soapmaking I would pass it by. 

• Like 3

Nice job. Kraft is so comfy. 

Will that glue glue eventually mess with the soap surface? 

I'd drop the techie part about unsaponified oils. Unless your lye was 100% pure, you scraped every last gram of oils, lye solution, etc. from the pot, and you lab tested it, then it is a baseless claim, KWIM. Non soap people might question it and lead you into a rabbit hole debate that does not need to be had. 

i'd also not go with exact weight per bar. Those will still cure and lose some weight for months to come. Plus, if some busybody threw it on the scale and it came up short you might get more debate than our bargained for. Go with what should be the lowest cured weight and save yourself a headache. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Am I the only one who doesn't bevel my soap?

I don't bevel anymore. I did for the first couple years, but haven't in over, what? About 15 years now? It's been a LONG time since I've beveled a soap. And now I only do it on certain bars, or if I need some confetti to make a confetti soap. 

Thanks all! I really appreciate the input :)
Ok, so I'll drop the 5% thing. Maybe replace it with "Bad Idea Soap (masterpieces :rolleyes: ) by Sponie (I'm try'na market stuff here)  or "This AIN'T your Grannie's lye soap"

@TallTayl I don't think the glue will mess with the soap, as I think it's just starch based mucilage though it might be an animal based glue.... (It feels and acts like a starch based glue, when I wipe up the counter I get those clear starch looking films that float up off the table top). The glue doesn't stick to anything but paper worth a damn, but to the paper it sticks like a demon. I use a little 91% isopropyl alcohol in my water to help speed up the drying time and to get a little better wetting action. I dunno though, time will tell. 

Also, about the weights... I rounded down on all of the weights e.g. 4.69 labeled as 4.6 but 4.52 also labeled as 4.5.... I was thinking about selling it by the bar soooo, not really sure what the weight has anything to do with anything, but seeing the variations in weights I think I'll just sell them according to whole ounce weight or by 1/2 ounce weight. rounded down. 4.6= 4.5 4.4 =4 etc... 

@Jcandleattic The beveling is my OCD trying to make a statement... I'll probably get over the beveling pretty quick as it is a PITA. Honestly if I could whack'm good with a plastic scrub brush to get all the loose bits of soap off and just give them an even surface I think I could be good with that.  

The label may change to a round 2" label because I REALLY don't like the having to put a band of tape around them to keep the label from peeling up at the edges... 

Historically I HATE (that's not really STRONG ENOUGH a word for my dislike) labeling and packaging soap and THIS was the first batch I was absolutely fine with, and not just fine.... I really enjoyed it. 

Anywho I SO very much appreciate the feedback and I'll let the vindictive little imps (I mean Fairies... I meant Fairies...), know that they did a good job. 

Sponiebr: Trying to get Bad Ideas to market is like giving a group hug to a barrel full of eels... It can be done, but ya gotta have a little coordinated help. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

labeling becomes so much easier once you get to the standardization stage.

good start though!

Wow... It IS a painful process though... Reminds me of passing out a kidney stone, and in much the same manner I'm sure I'll be glad when it's over.

Any other suggestions or thoughts? Do you think the half ounce concept is a good idea or just round down to the nearest ounce? Ideally all of my bars would be the same size, but I'm hand cutting and frankly, even with a miter box I SUCK at cutting straight lines, which is really weird because I'm great at sculpting and can draw with near photographic precision. 

I'm a LINUX user and so I don't have MS Word for my labels, I'm using Libre Office, which is generally just as good but it doesn't have some of the proprietary user friendly macros that MS Word has...  Short of it is I've got more work to do on the labels. 

If all y'all have any thoughts for revamping or whatnot PLEASE DO SPEAK UP! Font's whatever... The only things that I have to keep are Bad Idea Soaps, the logo, naming convention, kraft paper band, and kraft paper label. I'd kinda like to keep the smart ass tone in there, but if you have something else :naughty: in mind I'm an open minded kinda guy... (I'm also a dork... Just say'n...)  

OOOOOH! I just thought up a DOOSEY! 

"Hand crafted bliss-imparting-luxury-slathering-melts-in-your-hand-NOT-in your-mouth Bath Soap." <<<<<<--------- HOT DAMN! I LIKE that! 

But, like it as I may, I will acquiesce to the Collective.... (resistance really IS futile, but it's also voltage divided by current)  

Slainte,

Sponiebr: The Executor, (locus really), of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services. 

9 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Is "Tiffany s at Breakfast" the soap scent or the company name?

i would put contact info on th back. 

It's what I'm calling my OMH soap. 

I'll stick the contact info on the back and put "Bad Idea Soaps by Sponie" in it's place?  

1 hour ago, Sponiebr said:

It's what I'm calling my OMH soap. 

I'll stick the contact info on the back and put "Bad Idea Soaps by Sponie" in it's place?  

Is "Soaps By Sponie" the company name? how bout that little logo? That belongs front and center as your brand. It is 'there' but barely visible. I'd stick that very near your brand name  in a bold color.

About logos.... to anyone willing to listen... Logo identity is critical. I just redesigned my company logo (again) into a custom petroglyph that symbolizes my "story". That petroglyph now appears on all things sent out of my shop. I've made a clay stamp to make the mark on diffuser pendants that go out with orders over $50 and as gifts to favorite customers. They advertise "me" every time they wear that thing. SPONIE - your symbol is perfect for branded merch. Run with it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Is "Soaps By Sponie" the company name? how bout that little logo? That belongs front and center as your brand. It is 'there' but barely visible. I'd stick that very near your brand name  in a bold color.

About logos.... to anyone willing to listen... Logo identity is critical. I just redesigned my company logo (again) into a custom petroglyph that symbolizes my "story". That petroglyph now appears on all things sent out of my shop. I've made a clay stamp to make the mark on diffuser pendants that go out with orders over $50 and as gifts to favorite customers. They advertise "me" every time they wear that thing. SPONIE - your symbol is perfect for branded merch. Run with it.

The Company is "Bad Idea Soaps" and Yeah I gotta get that logo sharpened up quite a bit. Eventually I hope to have a soap stamp, but it needs to be on the label too. 

AMEN!!!! On the Logo info! Symbols (pattern recognition) register in the human mind before words every_single_time. It's one of the main reasons we see store brand items marketed in the same color schemes and color patterns as the name brand item.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so here are some revamps based on your suggestions and ( I just had another one but haven't gotten to it ) to redo the type in gray instead of outlined... Anyway: here are 5 versions for your input. I'm just working on getting one side at a time done.

5942188d6d3f7_Screenshotfrom2017-06-14223346.png.a94f597b7dbcdaecf1708852dbf62459.png 

5942188e06347_Screenshotfrom2017-06-14225301.png.5010a64b19244d76b01a59bb2968cb6b.png

5942188e9df3d_Screenshotfrom2017-06-14230510.png.c49b3e2c44a110264207c480e712efbc.png

5942188f439a9_Screenshotfrom2017-06-14230533.png.cdf5299e3c593f5ccddc9a1ddc1cd06f.png

5942188fcd45b_Screenshotfrom2017-06-14230603.png.897192cb5ab899c8c7b244dea7c40183.png

As always: We thank you for your support. 

Sponiebr

Ok, not much traction on that last batch... 

Let's try these 2 groups... I changed "Der Vurm" to look, I dunno... "nicer mebbe?" Anyway, Wrum doesn't look nearly as menacing, and I gave him a tail.  I think these "feel" a little more like me

59436e8285baf_Theotherbadideatoplableoptions1.png.3500cac8aa1a7b5f364263b130198b8e.png

I'm kinda feeling this next group... (oval Kraft labels) 

59436e81bc750_Theotherbadideatoplabeloptions2.png.46182b06dd77ee41a34be8ad9a1a7207.png

^that Line is just my cursor... It's not actually in the label... (fark'n screenshots! ) 

Anywho, Waddya think? 

Sponiebr: Verm herder...