Lambosi

Hi guys,

So if i have decided to start selling..where do i start..? Do i just need a vendors license if it will only be from home/website?

Is there a source i can call to find out what i need legally, do things the right way? Ive been reading threads here and honestly it sounds scary...license,copyrights,warning labels, insurance? I will only be selling wax melts..no candles.

Thanks in advance!

Even if you are only selling melts, insurance should be bought and put into place. We live in a litigious society these days, and you never know who is going to sue for what. Warning labels should be used, but it will not stop someone from suing. 

Also, you could call your state's DOR, and have them lead you in what licensing you need. 

Others probably have some more advice, and honestly it's been so long since I set up my business, I don't remember all the steps and departments I went to, to get set up. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Go to the Small Business Administration website www.sba.gov and read that. Click on the Local Assistance section and find the nearest district office and make an appointment. Its free and they will tell you what you need for your state, county, etc. to get you started. They may also have some cheap or free businesses classes to also help you get started.

Anyway they can tell you about the different business entities, where and who you need to file with to get a license and file your business. You may also need to file a ficticious name if you make up a name for your company.

You should know the SBA website inside and out. They can help you with everything including applying for loans or grants, business classes, where to get license, permits, tax ID, insurance, etc. How to write up a business plan and so much more.

You also need to go to your state dept of taxation and get a tax ID for selling. You will need to start paying and filing taxes once you start selling. So you will need a tax ID.

First thing I did when I started my biz was make an appointment with my local SBA office. They gave me all the info I needed and I was able to register my biz and get licensed, permits, and tax ID in just 1-2 days.

In my case my town required me to also get a zoning permit even thou I was running a home-based business. That takes a few days for the permit to be ready. Other than that I had everything done I needed to do thanks to the help I received from the SBA.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1