Newbie and C3

Hi everyone! I'm a complete newbie and I was hoping to get som help. I have decided on using C3 wax and I've been reading up on this forum everything that I can find. But I still have some questions. 

The manufacture recommends 6% FO per lb, but I read that people have had success adding more. My first couple batches I used 9.5% FO to 1 lb of wax. But my jars got a lot black soot on them. So I am backing down the FO to 8%. How much FO does everyone here have success with?

Also, I still cannot get a smooth top without a crack or a sink hole. I have tried pouring at 135, 140, 160 and 170. Is there a different temp I should try?

I'm using a 9 oz straight sided jar with a medium sized wood wick from NG. 

Thank you!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi.... I've always used 8.5% and have great results with that and no seepage problems. I've never used wood wicks so not sure if that is contributing to your sooting issues. C3 does well with CDN's and Premiers imo. 

I pour by sight, not temp but I've worked with it for a long time so you get the feel of it... always pour right when it starts to get a film on top but before it gets cloudy, hth.

• Like 1

If that doesn't work for you, another suggestion I can offer as when I use c3 I pour at 149 and do slowly.   I don't use wood wicks but cd and htps and this is what works perfect for me.  I use 6% oil and have great success.  When I pour at lower temperatures I wind up with splotchy/cottagy  tops.  And I cure my candles for 2 weeks.

Trappeur

• Like 1

I use 6% fo as well but I use cotton wicks in C3 and it works great.  I wouldn't use a higher % if you can get by on less, why waste the $ and get soot?  Pouring temp varies by your ambient temp and humidity.  Now that I'm in a very high humidity and cooler area I have to wait for slightly slushy to pour or I have a messy top and sink holes.  As you can tell from responses, different things work for different people so that's why we test, test, test.  It would be nice if there was 1 solution for each wax/jar but unfortunately too many things factor into each jar and scent.

• Like 1