Help with wicking? Weak Hot Throw

I have a few fragrances that I think may need special wicking but I am not sure how to do this as I am still new to candle making. I finally found  a wick that works with my jars and gives mw great throw for scents like love spell or egyption amber but some scents just simply aren't smelling that strong. I made sure to read reviews before buying and others seems to have more success with these fragrances than I currently am so I was thinking that it could be that I need to wick it differently as I read sometimes that that is something you need to do. I made sure to use the same amount of dye and same color dye for EACH testing candle and the others are fine but these aren't so I am sure it's not the dye. right now these are the scents causing me issues:
Birch & Black Pepper (Type) Fragrance Oil
and
Jamaica Me Crazy Fragrance Oil
and
Blue Raspberry Jolly Rancher (Type) Fragrance Oil

All are from flaming candle and 1oz per candle as I like to have huge scent.
I am using circular jars for testing and had them cure for 3 weeks. My wax is para/soy joy wax from NG. The wicks are from flaming candle and and CD 14 and the circular jars are 3" wide and 3 1/2" tall.

Can someone help me figure out how to wick these scents?

Just now, kandlekrazy said:

I don't use your wax, but a CD 14 could be too small for a 3" diameter container.  I'm just going by wick suggestion charts and it states CD14- CD 18.  Hopefully someone that uses Joy wax will chime in here.

We tested a bunch of wicks and the melt pool for CD 14 was perfect for our jars.

56 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Bumping this ?

thank you!!

Just now, CyanideNoodles said:

We tested a bunch of wicks and the melt pool for CD 14 was perfect for our jars.

thank you!!

Just be aware that 1 size wick is not always true for all scents, I have many that I need to wick up 1 size. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Just be aware that 1 size wick is not always true for all scents, I have many that I need to wick up 1 size. 

Yeah that is why I made this thread because I am not sure if the scents I listed need 1 size up or two size up or what. I don't know how it works for x type of scents. I know I read that sometimes sweet scents need x and coconut scents need y. I am hoping someone can help me figure out if the frgrances I have are just duds or if I need to change wicks for those scents and if so what sizes. How do I know when I need to go a size up?

Edited by CyanideNoodles
questions

On 4/29/2017 at 3:34 PM, CyanideNoodles said:

Yeah that is why I made this thread because I am not sure if the scents I listed need 1 size up or two size up or what. I don't know how it works for x type of scents. I know I read that sometimes sweet scents need x and coconut scents need y. I am hoping someone can help me figure out if the frgrances I have are just duds or if I need to change wicks for those scents and if so what sizes. How do I know when I need to go a size up?

Without testing your actual set up it is pretty impossible to tell what wick size for which fragrance. I have some (frank & myrrh, anise, musks, etc) that I need to change entire wick series to burn well. 

My typical wick is a CD14 in my wax blend, container size and type. If the wick is far too small, I try an ECO8 and an eco 10. If those don't do the trick I totally give up on the oil in a candle and use it up in either melts or soap. Some fragrance components just don't want to burn or play well in candles. 

• Like 1

How long have they cured? Are you getting a complete melt pool? By complete I mean in 4 hours is the melt from side to side and between 1/4" but no more than 1/2" deep? Is your AC or heat running?

1 minute ago, Flicker said:

How long have they cured? Are you getting a complete melt pool? By complete I mean in 4 hours is the melt from side to side and between 1/4" but no more than 1/2" deep? Is your AC or heat running?

3 weeks cure. Done with no ac running with door closed and not closed and had it burning for hours. Scent wasn't strong enough. I don't quite understand, but after an hour it was 1/2" deep. I can smell it but nowhere as good as say my love spell candle or my egyption amber candle. Those were extremely strong. I made sure to read reviews to look for strong scents so I am thinking this could be wick related but not sure.

I tried Jamaica Me Crazy from a different supplier and it just didn't not have a strong throw. I tried increasing my fo to 1.5 oz per pound of wax which improved throw but I could not get a proper burn at that percent. Some fo is just that way. I only did melts for scents that I could not wick.

On 5/9/2017 at 5:16 PM, coconut said:

I tried Jamaica Me Crazy from a different supplier and it just didn't not have a strong throw. I tried increasing my fo to 1.5 oz per pound of wax which improved throw but I could not get a proper burn at that percent. Some fo is just that way. I only did melts for scents that I could not wick.

what wax do you use?

I've tried many of flamings scents in my parasoy and the only ones I could  get a throw I was satisfied with were mac apple, birthday cake, and fresh bamboo.I'm thinking those particular scents just don't wanna play with your wax :) I only get wax, jars,,etc,,,from them now....Flaming is a good company but just too many misses for me. Seems like folks who use 464 have better luck with them? idk?

• Like 1