Is my wick too small?

I just made my first couple candles in 4oz tins. The diameter is the same as the 8oz jars I use, so I tried the same wick first, but the burn pool doesn't seem to reach all the way to the edges, although it does in the jars. I'm attaching photos of both the tin and the jar, which have been burning the same amount of time (about 2 hours). I'm using GW 444 wax with CD-14 wicks. What would you suggest trying next? I also have CD-12 and ECO 6 wicks on hand. 

IMG_9366.JPG.jpeg

IMG_9367.JPG.jpeg

I use a cd14 for soy in the 8oz tin with a 3"+ diameter for most fragrances. I think in your smaller tin it will be much, much too big by the second or third burn.

It also looks a bit too large in the glass jar. If the melt pool is that deep in 2 hours on the first burn it will be very hot, possibly too hot to handle, by the mid point to the last third of the burn. In the 8oz square masons I use a cd10-12 depending on the fragrance. The diameter of those is more than 3" also.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I use a cd14 for soy in the 8oz tin with a 3"+ diameter for most fragrances. I think in your smaller tin it will be much, much too big by the second or third burn.

It also looks a bit too large in the glass jar. If the melt pool is that deep in 2 hours on the first burn it will be very hot, possibly too hot to handle, by the mid point to the last third of the burn. In the 8oz square masons I use a cd10-12 depending on the fragrance. The diameter of those is more than 3" also.

Thank you! I hadn't even thought of that - I just figured if it was going to the sides it was good! I'll definitely try wicking down! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Tall Tayle....

The mason jar like she said already has a deep melt pool to begin with so it sure is going to get hot the further you burn.

I do as her for the mason jar - cd 10 or 12

Now I use 464 wax....I think TT uses c3 (isn't that right TT?) 

Now in the tins in 464 wax I use cd 12's.

Trappeur

Yes, trap, I am in the C3 camp.

Those square masons are really pretty with that wick in my wax. I buy a slightly bigger version of the jar for myself. It comes with marinara sauce in it ?. The volume is about 50% higher, so I get a lot of extra hours from it. The throw is amazing in that jar. 

@moonshine starts off with a cd10 in the 8 oz masons in her soy IIRC. Her candles are the bomb diggety. They burn so well, and throw fantastically. Sadly, I just finished two of hers yesterday. 

• Like 1