Twisting wicks

I twist all flat wicks and the wicks that are self-trimming.  It helps prevent the candle from burning to one side more than the other.  I hold the bottom wick stabilizer in one hand and twist from the top with the other hand, works fine for me.  After I set the wick I just make sure it still has fairly even twists in it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

I twist all flat wicks and the wicks that are self-trimming.  It helps prevent the candle from burning to one side more than the other.  I hold the bottom wick stabilizer in one hand and twist from the top with the other hand, works fine for me.  After I set the wick I just make sure it still has fairly even twists in it.

I'm guessing you twist to the right?

Goldie

• Like 1

When you twist your wick it gives you a more even burn as it untwist as it burns. I twist mine at the top and them secure it with a wick bar.  To add, don't know about ECO wicks, I use cd wicks. 

Edited by grama
  • Like 2

I twist my cd wicks also.  After I attach wick to the bottom of the jar, I then twist the wick and stabilize with a wick bar.  And no, it doesn't matter whether you twist to the right or the left.  It helps keeping wick straight so it doesn't lean that far.

Trappeur

• Like 3

How many twists for a tin, would you think? I have contemplated it but wonder with the relatively short height of the tin (2") if it would just unfurl and make a monster flame.

i twist my square braid pillar wicks in beeswax quite a few spins, depending on the impurities in the wax. It helps the pillars survive really impure wax.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

LOL Goldie, does it really matter? 

Welllllllllll, I once read a post on this forum regarding the direction of the twist in relation to the braid of the wick.  Too lazy to go searching for it. :)

Goldie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Welllllllllll, I once read a post on this forum regarding the direction of the twist in relation to the braid of the wick.  Too lazy to go searching for it. :)

Goldie

Well I have them both ways because it just depends which hand I pick up the stabilizer with, I just twist with the other.  Never knew it mattered, I've never notice it in the burn.

• Like 1

I think this is great advice, I'd never heard about this before reading it here once before.  I don't twist the wicks I've used (zinc, HTP, square braid), and they have all performed fine for me over the years.  However, I recently tested my first CD wick (a "self-trimming" wick) and it did lean to one side -- so the next time I test this one, I'm going to try twisting (not me "twisting" ... the wick that is!)  :)

• Like 2