Turkey red castor

Candybee

Does anyone use this for superfatting their liquid soap? If so, how did you like it? and what % do you use?

Also, if its made by treating castor oil with sulfuric acid what happens to the sulfuric acid? I am not a chemist so trying to figure how this oil works without being caustic? :huh:

Edited by Candybee

It has been awhile since I used it I superfat with it after the cook. I will have to look it up in Catherine Failors book. I know it it the only oil that is water soluble.

Did some reading it says 1 teaspoon per lb of soap for superfatting  after the cooks and dilution

Edited by Barbara AL
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Barbara AL said:

It has been awhile since I used it I superfat with it after the cook. I will have to look it up in Catherine Failors book. I know it it the only oil that is water soluble.

Did some reading it says 1 teaspoon per lb of soap for superfatting  after the cooks and dilution

I forgot about that water soluble castor thing... Oh... There... I've forgotten about it again! Whew... I'm glad that's over! 

1 tsp Per Pound of Soap? (!0o0!)  That's 1%... Hey...

THAT'S THE PROBLEM!
It's not the bankers...
It's not the drug dealers!
It's the 1% SF Castor Oil soap!
THAT'S the 99% of our problems! 

Well, I'm NOT PUTTING UP WITH IT! I'm gonna do what those ambitious young college educated kids did for Wall Street!

I'm gonna start me up a HOT MESS!!! 
COME! Join me in: 

OCCUPY TURKEY OIL!!!!
YOU CAN'T LYE TO US ANYMORE! 

Dammit!

(That oughtta do it better'n Nike!)

HELLS YEAH! 
Sponiebr: YO! You BEST GET AWAY FROM MY BEAUTIFUL BUBBLE OF DELUSION!
BACK IT UP CUZ!  
GO on!
Dat's right!
Uh huh...
Git yo own damn bubble o' kray-kray! 

• Like 1

I don't use Red Turkey Castor oils anymore. I usually cut back on my KOH a little

i make a 1/2 recipe that calls for 6 ounces of KOH I use 5.85 ounces of KOH soap seems to come out nice. CAtherine Failors book if you ever read the whole book she doesn't superfat until after the cook. Actually she is in the red minus 10 and than superfats with the red Castor after the cook. 

So if you don't want to use it just go into soapcalc or cut back a little I did a lot of testing so I prefer to just cut back on the KOH.

• Like 1

I have read KOH is not anywhere near "100%"pure, rather about 90%on average, making it already 10% superfatted using zero superfat in the calculators. KOH is much more drying/cleansing than NaOH in soap, I found, even with a generous SF.

i skimmed failor's method when I was learning LS and thought it was overly complicated. It actually scared me away from LS for a very long while. Once I tried making LS as I would normal HP soap it was actually very quick and simple. 

• Like 1

Well I tried a superfat technique I read about. It was Irishlass who uses this technique. She sets her soap calculator with a 3% superfat. Then during the dillution phase adds 2% superfat oil of choice along with polysorbate 80.

I tried the same thing. Set the calc to 3% superfat and added another 2% of a superfat oil with 2% polysorbate 80. I used regular castor oil in this case as it has a long shelf like and I wanted to give it a chance to stay stable as longs as possible.

In case you're wondering I also set the KOH for 90% purity so I dunno. That may cancel out the superfatting or maybe leave it the same as if I had left it on 100% purity.

Anyway, I like the soap with both superfats. Have not seen it seperate. Time will tell how stable it is but I think it should be okay. It feels nice on my hands and was what I was looking for in a hand soap.

I didn't like the way LS made my hands feel the first time I made it so I knew I wanted to "tweak" with it to see if I could make it more moisturizing and less harsh.

BTW- I also used the glycerin method but split the liquid 50/50%; half clear aloe gel for the lye solution, and half glycerin I threw in the pot with the heating oils. So this batch had extra superfatting (with calc + added castor), glycerin, and aloe. So far its feeling really good on my hands.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Oh and if you are wondering why I didn't just throw the added castor in with the other oils its because I didn't want any of it to saponify and wanted the full benefit of the oil to come through.

Forgot to add, this was the recipe I revised to add more sunflower oil. I really pushed the envelope and used 20% regular sunflower. I just lowered the OO to do it. The iodine and linoleic acid is high. In a bar soap it would probably develop DOS.

Its an OO, Sunflower, CO, and Castor oil recipe, with some added Castor of course added to the dilution.

Edited by Candybee

14 hours ago, Barbara AL said:

I read somewhere that sulphonated castor is smelly. Did you find that to be true? Did any of that stink impart in the finished LS?

Oh those are beautiful Barbara! and your soap is so clear!

With each batch I make my LS is getting clearer as I learn what clouds it. I am hoping someday when I am happy with how clear it is I can start to learn how to color it like yours.

2 hours ago, Barbara AL said:

It smells really real bad when the liquid soap gets bad you will know.

i couldn't really tell in the finished product since i scent my liquid soaps.

I may get some and try it out. I am sort of holding off just trying to find out more about it. Also, if I find a way not to need it its one less oil I'll have to buy. KWIM?

For now, I will keep testing out the superfatting technique I am using. I hope to find what pushes the limit in the recipe I use.

• 8 months later...