Am I Doing Net Weight On Soy Wax Candle Label Correctly?

chevril

Hi all,

After yet more delays I'm finally starting to list my candles on ETSY  but am a bit unsure if I've done the weight right on  the labels and in the listings. I understand we are required by the FDA to list the NET weight on the labels, but being a math imbecile I'm not sure I have it figured right. I'm using Candlescience 8oz jelly jars  and C3 soy wax. I think maybe 7.07oz  net weight is right, but I'm SO not sure.  To those of you that have used 8 oz jars, does this sound anywhere near reasonable? At least in the ballpark? 

As you can see in the photo I totally forgot about weight on the labels but luckily I haven't printed them in them in bulk yet.  Also, the weight of the entire candle (jar, wax, lid) is really around 12.9 oz. Should I list that weight in the listing along with the net weight or is that likely to confuse customers?  I'd be really grateful for any advice! Thanks?

nose_sugar_vermont_pirates_breakfast.png

The net weight is the amount of what is in the jar, not including the jar. 

Weigh your finished candle, then weigh an empty jar. The difference between the full and empty is what the weight is of the actual product inside.

If you find you get a range of weights on the finished candles, use the lowest possible weight on your labels. You can have more in the jar, just not less. 

I also weigh a bunch of jars to make sure there is not too much of a variance. There usually isn't, but it's a good idea to make sure.

• Like 2

I do it the same as TT. But I also know the exact weight of the scented wax I will be pouring into my jars beforehand so weighing my finished candles is an extra measure for me to check for accurate content weights.

If you poured 9.2oz of scented wax in the jar list it on the label as "net wt. 9.2oz". I usually list it on towards the bottom part of the label in a small print like ariel so its easy to read but doesn't stand out. Another idea, I also list the burn hours on the jar. For example "approx. burn time 40-55 hrs" in the same small print just above the weight.

To test your burn hrs weigh your candle before you do a test burn. Make sure you log your burn hours. Then weigh it after each test burn. You will see how many ounces you candle burns per hour this way. I always test burn down to the end of the candle to get as accurate an hour count as possible. You don't have to do it all in one burn, just burn the candle the way you normally would like a customer would, and make sure you log the hours and weights.

You would be surprised how many customers want to know the exact burn hours. So I post it right on the label.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2