Body mist, again

CBeardly

Please forgive me, I've asked before & have looked through previous posts, but I keep finding contradicting info (everywhere) about making body mists/sprays; how to make them, which ingredients to use, how much, etc. I know people like to use bases but I want to make my own. I like making everything as close to "from scratch" as possible. I know I don't have to do it, I like to do it. :)  So is it cyclo? Perfumers alcohol? Pixie dust? Something that will leave a scent lingering longer than two seconds? Am I asking for too much? :)

I use perfumers alcohol, distilled water, an FO/EO modifier and fragrance. Works very well and can be colored, I discovered, using my soaping micas. The synthetic mica sparkles makes the whole bottle shimmer mesmerisingly. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is the modifier to make the ingredients stay blended in the bottle?  Would shaking the bottle before using achieve the same?  I make just for myself and I don't mind if I have to do that each time before using.

15 minutes ago, Darbla said:

Is the modifier to make the ingredients stay blended in the bottle?  Would shaking the bottle before using achieve the same?  I make just for myself and I don't mind if I have to do that each time before using.

The modifier is a really good emulsifier. It keeps the blend consistent from top to bottom. The problem with shaking with each use is sometimes the oil is not dispersed evenly through the water, meaning some sprays will be more oil than might be safe to apply "neat" at one time.

Plus, some oils eat away at plastic. Pooling those near the dip tubes may eat away inside and out of the spray mechanism.

if just for yourself, you can improve the blends using strong alcohol, like everclear or vodka. Those sprays made with drinking alcohol can't be sold unless you have a liquor license, but they work very well. Alcohol is a solvent and a preservative if used at high enough concentration.