Does anyone create surfactant based products? If you sell, are customers put off by the ingredients?

Also, do you think ingredients like herbal extracts, hydrosols, hydrolyzed proteins, etc. really add anything to products or is it really label appeal?

I make and sell quite a few surfactant based shampoo, conditioner, scrubs, etc. not one person in my market is turned off, in fact they seek my type of product out.

do those extracts and such add anything? IMO No. but they make people happy.

• Like 1

That's good know, thanks. I want to test the waters with some products. I agree about the extras. I check out Swiftcraftymonkey a lot & she loves that stuff, but I don't see how they make much difference, if any. Customers do like seeing it.

• Like 1

Some herbal extracts do make a difference in products, although most people don't know which ones do which things.  Also, essential oils, where skin care is concerned, have certain properties that make particular ones beneficial for various skin tones/problems, etc. 

I think some things that make the skin "feel moisturized" are not always exactly beneficial at a cellular level, which is what some herbals do.  For marketing purposes, it's hard to tell sometimes, as the public isn't always exactly educated about some of the ingredients or the "goods and bads" of various substances.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CBeardly said:

@TallTayl How long do you sequester your products?

Solids, no sequester. My formula was developed to go directly from mold to packaging.

Liquid shampoo/body wash a few days with a new fragrance to ensure the fragrance did not change the viscosity. Citrus and lavender, for instance, thin it out to water. Rosemary causes siezing

scrubs immediately packaged. 

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this thread. I had just assumed that customers would be turned off by some of the ingredients that I've been looking at that would go into a good shampoo. Good to know there is a market for handmade shampoos.

But wading through all the types of ingredients that can go into a good balanced shampoo is making my head spin. I know I can use one of swiftcraftmonkey's recipes but I would really prefer to develop my own.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Thanks for starting this thread. I had just assumed that customers would be turned off by some of the ingredients that I've been looking at that would go into a good shampoo. Good to know there is a market for handmade shampoos.

I was concerned about customers as well although I had really wanted to make shampoo for myself. I can't find any sulfate-free shampoo that I like. My scalp has an actual reaction to sulfates. I've tried a couple of Swift's recipes, but I need to make some adjustments to them. I recently found some recipes here I'm planning to try, with some tweaking of course.

• Like 1

Liquids are tricky, sometimes.

Solids are too, in their own way. It took me a few months to work out what I liked in my shampoos and conditioners. The cost of surfs is ridiculous, so I used to co-op them to allow for a fair enough profit. Dealing with drums killed my lungs even with PPE. 

My surf of choice is sci (sodium cocoyl isethionate). It is a large molecule, low-ish pH gentle surf. My co-surf is usually disodium cocoampho diacetate, another gentle non-sulfate choice. To solubilize the SCI I usually use cocobetaine.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 04/24/2017 at 1:37 PM, Candybee said:

Thanks for starting this thread. I had just assumed that customers would be turned off by some of the ingredients that I've been looking at that would go into a good shampoo.

Well, what are those customers' options?  Why assume customers would be turned off by your ingredients as opposed to those of other products they might buy?

However, it should be noted that some products deliberately add ingredients for "label appeal" in amounts that would be too small to have any effect -- or maybe that would be expected to have a useful effect in shampoo in any amount!