Ribbon wicks

They are pretty but I am wondering about the practicality. I can just imagine the customer complaining about the leftover wax on the sides of the candle the wick doesn't burn.

I think they are mostly for unusual rectangular containers. Instead of using 2-3 wicks you just use a ribbon wick or two. Pretty soon we might start seeing suppliers selling rectangular type containers along with the ribbon wicks.

Here are some candles with the ribbon wicks from Virginia Candle http://ribbonwick.com/

• Like 1

TaĺlTayl

Just go to show what I've not kept up with in 2 yr time span of not making candles ,soap to for that matter,but this week I've been in my work room everyday . Don't know if I'll purchase any ribbon wicks, I think I'd like to get a candle and see how it burns tho

Edited by 7 Pawz

• 5 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread. 

I was just looking at the ribbon 

wicks & wood wicks earlier.

After reading the responses from 

TT I think I'll pass on the ribbon wick. It seems like they are best suited for large rectangular containers ? Has anyone tried the ribbon or wood wicks since this thread was posted ? 

They do look so cool burning in the video .

Edited by Moonstar

Are these the long, serpentine wicks seen in some shallow oblong candles? I always thought those were made of some sort of metallic or wooden mesh.

I have been eyeballing those ribbon wicks from Northwood for use in coconut wax, but if they burn hot that's out of the question.

On 9/24/2017 at 12:48 PM, Kerven said:

Are these the long, serpentine wicks seen in some shallow oblong candles? I always thought those were made of some sort of metallic or wooden mesh.

I have been eyeballing those ribbon wicks from Northwood for use in coconut wax, but if they burn hot that's out of the question.

I've tried them in coconut wax.  The small was too small for my 2.5" opening jar and the medium was too big.  They need an in between size.  And, I don't think they put out as much light as conventional wicks.  

• 1 year later...

Okay, so even though these posts are less than a year old, I cannot find the ribbon wicks online anymore. It seems that every time I find a promising lead, that website no longer exists. Do any of you have any updates on where to get these wicks since the northstarcandlesuppy.com website doesn't seem to exist anymore? Thank you!!

On 4/14/2017 at 12:16 AM, KrazeKelly said:

I have got to stop reading the candle forum!! Y'all are bad influences!! I just bought ribbon and wooden wicks now I have re test my little mason jars for those!!  ??

LOL, I know what you mean @KrazeKelly, when I hear them talking about something new or something I haven't played with yet I want to go buy it. 

15 minutes ago, CandleMakerWannabe said:

Okay, so even though these posts are less than a year old, I cannot find the ribbon wicks online anymore. It seems that every time I find a promising lead, that website no longer exists. Do any of you have any updates on where to get these wicks since the northstarcandlesuppy.com website doesn't seem to exist anymore? Thank you!!

Here's some Ribbon Wick suppliers

https://www.northwoodcandlesupply.com/products/ribbon-wick-candle-wick

https://www.cierracandles.com/Ribbon-prewaxed-wicks.html

I purchased mine from Northwood Candle Supply. I have used them in coconut/soy wax blends and I like them for something different and I think they look pretty.

My observations:

- usually great hot throw

- like @ComfortandJoy mentioned, the option of more than 3 wick sizes would be ideal

- I have cut the wicks myself into different widths but who wants to do that and then they can fray

- usually when the candle burns too hot, the melt pool will be very dark and have a dark ring around the candle when it cools

And there's also CottonWood Wicks that are wide and flat like the Ribbon Wicks.

https://www.northstar3c.com/shop/Category/CottonWood-Wicks

I have played around with those wicks too but don't remember much about them except the hot throw was usually good in coconut/soy wax. And after lighting the wicks, the end frays and curls down like fingers on a hand. Doesn't seem to cause a problem, just looks different.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Here's some Ribbon Wick suppliers

https://www.northwoodcandlesupply.com/products/ribbon-wick-candle-wick

https://www.cierracandles.com/Ribbon-prewaxed-wicks.html

I purchased mine from Northwood Candle Supply. I have used them in coconut/soy wax blends and I like them for something different and I think they look pretty.

My observations:

- usually great hot throw

- like @ComfortandJoy mentioned, the option of more than 3 wick sizes would be ideal

- I have cut the wicks myself into different widths but who wants to do that and then they can fray

- usually when the candle burns too hot, the melt pool will be very dark and have a dark ring around the candle when it cools

And there's also CottonWood Wicks that are wide and flat like the Ribbon Wicks.

https://www.northstar3c.com/shop/Category/CottonWood-Wicks

I have played around with those wicks too but don't remember much about them except the hot throw was usually good in coconut/soy wax. And after lighting the wicks, the end frays and curls down like fingers on a hand. Doesn't seem to cause a problem, just looks different.

Hi Laura C & thank you for responding! I've seen these sites but they aren't the same kind of ribbonwicks I'm looking for. I'll attach a photo of the kind I'm referring to. These seem to be more of a metal mesh in a wave that's about 4" in width, at least that's the width of the one I have... but I got this particular candle as a gift, and I'm looking for these wicks so I can make my own because they are really cool.

ribbonwick candle.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CandleMakerWannabe said:

Hi Laura C & thank you for responding! I've seen these sites but they aren't the same kind of ribbonwicks I'm looking for. I'll attach a photo of the kind I'm referring to. These seem to be more of a metal mesh in a wave that's about 4" in width, at least that's the width of the one I have... but I got this particular candle as a gift, and I'm looking for these wicks so I can make my own because they are really cool.

Yes, they are cool candles. No, unfortunately doesn't look like the type of "ribbon wick" they use is available for purchase. The other ribbon wicks I posted links for are the only thing I could find. It almost looks like they took one of the tall ribbon wicks and laid it on it's side in a "S" pattern. That would be a neat experiment, hadn't thought of that until now. LOL

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2019 at 8:03 AM, CandleMakerWannabe said:

ribbonwick candle.jpg

Yeah, those ribbon wicks aren't anywhere near the same as what is for sale from suppliers, that's a custom deal unfortunately. I didn't think we'd even see the ones that are for sale now, but after a while they just popped up. So who knows, maybe they will be around one day.