Wick suggestions, please !

Okay I am test burning my second attempt parasoy candle after last week's near disaster, lol. I only used the standard 6% FO & wicked down this time instead of up.

while I am much more pleased this time than I was last time, the flame is still a bit haywire for my taste. Nothing crazy but not the perfect burn. Yet, if I wicked down lower, it wouldn't burn evenly, it might not now, as it is.

in my last thread, someone ( so sorry, cannot recall who ) mentioned that they never use CD with parasoy because it burns too hot, so I'm thinking that's my problem right there.

So if any of you can suggest a great wick for parasoy, I would appreciate it like you wouldn't believe. I really want to make this work, I love the perfect tops of these and how nicely it accepts color.

For reference, I'm using ProBlend 600 container blend. Thanks in advance, guys !

Edited by WaxingPoetic

What FO are you using?  Heavy FOs can be very hard to wick and burn just like you described.  I didn't use parasoy, only paraffin, but often used wicks made for soy.  Had good luck with my premier wicks.  But on heavy FO's, sometimes I had to go down to 4.5% to be able to wick them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coconut said:

What FO are you using?  Heavy FOs can be very hard to wick and burn just like you described.  I didn't use parasoy, only paraffin, but often used wicks made for soy.  Had good luck with my premier wicks.  But on heavy FO's, sometimes I had to go down to 4.5% to be able to wick them.

Thanks for the reply ! That's a good point, I used a blend of Vanilla Voodoo & Pink Sugar

You reminded me I have to order some more Vanilla Voodoo.....Been out for a while....I want to get some more oils from them tooo...just can't decicde.

Geesh it has been forever that they haven't come out with any new fragrances....

Trappeur

7 hours ago, WaxingPoetic said:

Thanks for the reply ! That's a good point, I used a blend of Vanilla Voodoo & Pink Sugar

This is a big part of the wicking problem. Both of these fragrances are super heavy. Try a floral with your small wick and notice the difference. 

I use CD's in parasoy and love them. 

• Like 1

I checked my spreadsheet. I had to go down to an HTP 31 on vanilla and on Amish Harvest had to use an HTP41 and cut back to 4.5%. This was in a 4 ounce jelly jar. Took me months to figure it out. An old tip is to just poke a hole in the wax candle and stick in the wick. You can test more combinations that way. Also, the candle may catch up on the second burn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coconut said:

I checked my spreadsheet. I had to go down to an HTP 31 on vanilla and on Amish Harvest had to use an HTP41 and cut back to 4.5%. This was in a 4 ounce jelly jar. Took me months to figure it out. An old tip is to just poke a hole in the wax candle and stick in the wick. You can test more combinations that way. Also, the candle may catch up on the second burn.

Great info, thank you !

I haven't had the best results with CD in parasoy either. Too hot, and the leaning of the wick always caused big problems for me. I like wicks that can lean (like CD) better in a wax that holds them a little firmer (464 for example).  I just always had hot haywire flames with too much smoke/soot using CD. But I know everyone has different results.

Premier and Zinc almost always are the best wicks for me with nearly any fragrance with parasoy. I have had descent results with CSN as well although a mush smaller sample size

• Like 1

Totally agree on the cd's being terrible in parasoy. Everytime I find the right size to give a complete melt pool it ends up being too tall before the test burn is over.Cdns seem to work half decent when using a heavy fo but I tend to go for the lx wicks.

• Like 1

yes i agree.. mushrooms really drive me nuts. But any other option seems to give me worse results.

LX - sometimes mushroom.. but also lean a bit and don't stay centered as well

Premier - incrememental sizing and flame is good but mushroom the same as zincs

HTP - love them but flame gets too big and too hot and lean off center in my wax

CDs - lean, flame gets too big causing soot and smoke

CSN/CDN - not enough testing

RRD - fine but mushroom

I always end up using one of the top 3.... but not LOVING any of them

• Like 2

ive been toying around with blending 6006 with another wax to help with wicking... but not sure what that would be. 

Id love to keep what I have now but with something that stays a bit firmer below the MP (more cool) so that wicks stay 

centered better. That would open up so many options. 

On 4/11/2017 at 8:44 AM, WaxingPoetic said:

oohhh this sounds good , may I ask who's pink sugar you use + do you do a 50/50 blend. I always love your blends. I have Indianas PS + NG 's . 

Both are good but I prefer Indianna's. when I get around placing an order with MMS - Im going to try theirs as well :/ lol ! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

yes i agree.. mushrooms really drive me nuts. But any other option seems to give me worse results.

LX - sometimes mushroom.. but also lean a bit and don't stay centered as well

Premier - incrememental sizing and flame is good but mushroom the same as zincs

HTP - love them but flame gets too big and too hot and lean off center in my wax

CDs - lean, flame gets too big causing soot and smoke

CSN/CDN - not enough testing

RRD - fine but mushroom

I always end up using one of the top 3.... but not LOVING any of them

do you get much of a throw from the htp or premier? I've tried them both as an in between size but they don't seem to throw very well for me.....actually the best burn I've ever had were those premier 500 series but you have to buy a ton of them,,,,the premier 700 also discolor too much....sigh.....well I still have some sample packs of the 500s left......Thinking maybe I should retest them to see if a large order would be worth it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Moonstar said:

oohhh this sounds good , may I ask who's pink sugar you use + do you do a 50/50 blend. I always love your blends. I have Indianas PS + NG 's . 

Both are good but I prefer Indianna's. when I get around placing an order with MMS - Im going to try theirs as well :/ lol ! 

Idk if my phone is acting up or what, just saw that my original reply to this posted, but now it isn't showing up, so I apologize if it is to everyone else, lol

I use The Candle Source's Pink Sugar, it's my go to PS ! Yes for that blend, I do 50 - 50 :)

• Like 1

I love ICS pink sugar. it is so strong. I use LX wicks in parasoy, but use CD's in straight soy. I am testing a jar today for my sister, she wants this tiny little jar (3.70 oz) to go on her outside tables.

• Like 1