Aroma beads question

Belinda

For those that make aroma beads, what do you mix your beads up in to soak? I really don't want to use glass jars but the group I'm in on Facebook says to use glass or HDPE plastic containers but those are polyethylene and not polypropylene (or at least I haven't seen any that are polypro). Wouldn't the polyethylene container suck the scent out of the beads like it would out of scented wax? I've been mixing them in polypro zip lock bags but wanted to switch to containers.

Thanks!

I have used glass candle jars, but it didn't seem to mix the fo and beads as well as the ziploc bags. The wet beads just stuck to the sides of the jar.  I like to store the finished ornies in the same bag that they were soaking in, kind of re-infuses the scent.   Never tried plastic containers for aroma beads but I do use them (used and cleaned margarine tubs etc) for storing wax tarts and they have never sucked out the scent.

• Like 1

Sorry but I don't have an alternative besides glass.  I use glass jars that I recycle and run through the dishwasher.  It just seems way easier for me to do it that way.  Th wet beads DO stick to the sides until they have soaked in and then they go to the bottom.  

Why don't you want to use glass?

Edited by pcbrook

On 4/9/2017 at 9:30 AM, pcbrook said:

Sorry but I don't have an alternative besides glass.  I use glass jars that I recycle and run through the dishwasher.  It just seems way easier for me to do it that way.  Th wet beads DO stick to the sides until they have soaked in and then they go to the bottom.  

Why don't you want to use glass?

I guess I just wanted to have a way to stack them and use less space since they're my biggest sellers right now. I've been using  ziplock polypro bags and I do like doing them that way but I've had a couple of bags leak on me here lately. That doesn't happen very often though. I was told that the scent lasts longer if you let them cure in a plastic tub or glass jar over polypro bags but I'm not sure how that would affect that.

On 4/8/2017 at 11:58 PM, franu61 said:

I have used glass candle jars, but it didn't seem to mix the fo and beads as well as the ziploc bags. The wet beads just stuck to the sides of the jar.  I like to store the finished ornies in the same bag that they were soaking in, kind of re-infuses the scent.   Never tried plastic containers for aroma beads but I do use them (used and cleaned margarine tubs etc) for storing wax tarts and they have never sucked out the scent.

Maybe I'll just stick to the bags then. I've put a few tubs on to soak and I'm like you in not liking the way the beads stick to the sides of the tub.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the bags & the canning jars. While the jars do take up a lot of space they really do work the best for me, much better than the bags really. Like kandlekrazy said, I would give a good shake every time I passed them. Shake-shake-shake! :D Unfortunately they're not popular around here. I have butt load of them just sitting around. :(

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 7:22 PM, Skk5233 said:

I have been using the HDPE containers to cure...i wonder if They are sucking the scent out 

That's what I've always read on here. Are you a member of the group on Facebook, Aroma Beads 101? Margie Novak could probably answer that question for you but I know I don't use HDPE bags for my wax because I've read on here for years that it will suck the scent out.