Searching for handmade crafts for potential business startup.

Seahawks

Hello,

I've been around the candle/soap making (and other craft industries, glass, woodwork, etc.) for a number of years.

I however have always held a full-time job that dominated my life. Now at the point where I'm considering embarking on an endeavor to bring together some of the best handmade crafts from artisans in the US. Without going into major detail, I am seeking reputable suppliers who could meet deadlines for initially small, but bulk, orders within different crafts.

I do realize this forum is more niche to candles/soap (long time follower) but I thought it would be a good idea to check the level of interest here.

If this sounds like something you could potentially be interested in, please feel free to reply or send me a message regarding what you specialize in, and what makes you unique, in addition to your geographical location.

Thank you!

Mark

53 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

For me, I would need more info to make sure this is a legit endeavor. I have no idea the requirements, expectations, or profit potential to decide if it is worth my while. :) 

Thanks for the feedback. I can understand the skepticism, it is the internet after all.

In reality, I started making candles & soap in 2004, but moved away from it to pursue the college/corporate ($) life. I had a good amount of success and despite living a "better" lifestyle, I was generally unhappy. Moving forward, I want to follow a passion, not the dollar so much.

My aspiration here, is to grab the interest of anyone who might have a smaller business but professional product, hopefully from many different backgrounds and eventually assemble a retail front with US-based, home-made, relatively one-off products. It's in the planning (and even dreaming) stage, but when you've wanted to do something for over a decade, it just feels about time to pursue it.

My immediate goal is to make contacts and evaluate the products of those out there who are looking to expand in different directions, and find the right fit(s) for each area of the business. I actually grew up just miles from one of the largest, most successful, and over-priced candle manufacturers in the US; it's time for some authentic competition. So if you're out there reading this, and you or someone you know has a proven hand made product that can steadily be supplied, I want to hear from you!

I'm more than happy to share further details, but in reality, I'll save that for one on one conversations with those with the passion to move forward. Hope it helps.

Edited by Seahawks

Hello Mark,

So is this business venture that is in the planning stages something you are putting together like what Wayfair does or Amazon?   Is this the kind of business you are developing?

What do you mean you are looking for one-off products?  Example?

Are you going to have all sorts of products or just candles and soaps?

You say you are going to do a retail front with US based products.  Does that mean you will be opening a store?

When do you think you will be doing this?

Will  you be buying the products outright or is this a consignment thing?   So that would mean you would be looking for wholesale if you are buying outright.

I know you say you prefer to have one on one conversations, but I'm sure there are a lot of us here on the forum that are thinking the same questions so if you could give us some more detailed information, we would appreciate it as I have NO IDEA what you are developing.

Thanks.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Hello Mark,

So is this business venture that is in the planning stages something you are putting together like what Wayfair does or Amazon?   Is this the kind of business you are developing?

Amazon/Wayfair, negative, very much the opposite intention. While Amazon does at least offer it's own seller stores for handmade items, it's not the feeling I'm going for. I want to bring back the appreciation and value for authentic craftsmanship.

What do you mean you are looking for one-off products?  Example?

One-off products, taken exactly how it sounds. Non mass-produced. Perhaps its a one of a kind decor piece, wall art...etc.  Then again, hand-poured candles would also qualify in their own right in the essence that they are not something you can just pickup in a random big-box store.

Are you going to have all sorts of products or just candles and soaps?

Strong focus on covering all areas possible, my personal start was within candles and soap, however the overall mission is eventually offering hand-crafted goods from every imaginable field.

You say you are going to do a retail front with US based products.  Does that mean you will be opening a store?

No intent to have a brick and mortar store front. My area could feasibly support it, but from a lean start-up perspective, I'd rather invest in quality product and a marketing funnel to help launch the operation.

When do you think you will be doing this?

On a small scale, I've already begun - I have my own LLC that focuses more on up-cycling/waste reduction, but plan to umbrella into a different, more suitable name and theme once I have reliable sourcing acquired.

Will  you be buying the products outright or is this a consignment thing?   So that would mean you would be looking for wholesale if you are buying outright.

I would prefer to buy outright, the option of consignment could always be there, perhaps for larger ticket items. As for candle/soap, I would see no need to consign that as carrying that kind of inventory is not as large of a burden.

I know you say you prefer to have one on one conversations, but I'm sure there are a lot of us here on the forum that are thinking the same questions so if you could give us some more detailed information, we would appreciate it as I have NO IDEA what you are developing.

I agree with you, but everyone's situation is different and I would appreciate the time to get to know the people behind the product and why they've chosen their applicable path. My intention was to place a feeler post out there (and in other areas), in hopes that passionate and hungry entrepreneurs would be the ones to reach out; these are the kind of individuals I need. It is unlikely that a part-time, partially invested, work at home hobbyist is going to have a mutually beneficial business relationship for very long. In reality, if I thought I could learn and do a multitude of crafts myself...I would, but I realize the great potential of bringing in experience and different creative views to really showcase what is possible. Without exactly detailing my business plan for the world to see, I still hope this has helped shed some light on any lingering questions.

Thanks.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. It does help. 

Who is is your target market? That often helps me figure out if an opportunity like this is a good fit for my brand. 

Also so would drop shipping be considered? Some of the unique items I make (pottery and pottery candles) are heavy and fragile enough to require special packing methods. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Thanks for the feedback. It does help. 

Glad to help, can provide more in the future.

Who is is your target market? That often helps me figure out if an opportunity like this is a good fit for my brand. 

Demographic would be mid to up scale, dual/expendable income established families primarily (like most consumable luxury goods), however I would aim to eventually have items to meet multiple segments; one focus at a time though.

Also so would drop shipping be considered? Some of the unique items I make (pottery and pottery candles) are heavy and fragile enough to require special packing methods. 

Not my original thought, but just as the consignment question above, it would be optimal in certain situations. Of course this strongly reinforces the requirement to have a reliable source relationship to replenish/ship timely enough that the transaction is still seamless. Few customers like the idea of their order being out-sourced to another party for lack of a better term. I've utilized drop-shipping arrangements in the past (in my career), and geographically speaking it can be advantageous but on the other hand it can really create customer support concerns.

Hope it helps,

Mark

Edited by Seahawks
Typo.

Im still confused as to exactly how the products will be offered to consumers. If you do not plan to have a brick and mortar storefront, I would be very hesitant handing over my brand/product and just allowing you(or whomever) to market and sell them as you please. For someone like myself who is trying to build brand recognition this could pose a huge problem if I didnt agree with how my brand was being sold or marketed. At least with a retail/wholesale account you know first hand how the products you hand over to the buyer will be sold.

If that makes sense I dunno lol

2 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Im still confused as to exactly how the products will be offered to consumers. If you do not plan to have a brick and mortar storefront, I would be very hesitant handing over my brand/product and just allowing you(or whomever) to market and sell them as you please. For someone like myself who is trying to build brand recognition this could pose a huge problem if I didnt agree with how my brand was being sold or marketed. At least with a retail/wholesale account you know first hand how the products you hand over to the buyer will be sold.

If that makes sense I dunno lol

It does make sense, and I do appreciate your concerns. What I think is most important right now is that I'm not asking for anyone to "hand over" anything. I'm looking for examples of craftsmanship, authenticity, top-quality, and as previously mentioned hungry entrepreneurs.

The best advice I can put forth right now is, let's not put the cart before the horse; no anxieties about how your product would be marketed, how your brand could be affected, etc. I understand and appreciate these concepts, but we are not there yet. No contracts, no gimmicks, and at this point zero investment short of using a few moments of your time presenting your work. In a nutshell, this is just the preliminary showcase. In many cases, the time it has taken to express skepticism could've been replaced by a summary of services.

Thank you to those who have chosen to send forth their company information/product exmaples, it is both enlightening and encouraging, and I will be in further contact.

Edited by Seahawks

6 hours ago, Incendia said:

Will you show us some samples of your work?

Thanks. :)

Sure. Recent focus is not exactly in the same vein as what is discussed on this forum (wall art); sadly I don't have that many candles around any longer, other than duds in which I have crates of but I'd rather not show off!

As noted earlier, I'll be in touch with the few that did reach out and likely proceed to communities focused on different genres of work. Thanks for everyone's time and input - but I believe this forum lends itself more to the hobbyist/DIY'er than business leaders and/or crafters..cwa22717.JPG.1ec556cda183374836247c7d8859ab4a.JPG

cae317.JPG.3748156ad45b148e3e7f275b0ea914f7.JPG

Edited by Seahawks
Typo
  • Like 1

As a successful business person, I would want to know the answers to many of the questions asked here.  I would think it would be easier to clear some of those questions up on the forum rather than have to answer them over and over again in private messages.  

It is confusing, to me, when you say you want "one-off" products, but then you need participants to have the ability to "replenish" as well as provide you with "small, but bulk, orders."  I work with up to fifteen local artisans and know for sure there is at least one person who would be interested.  However, in the very least, I would have wanted to know answers to the above questions first.  We aren't asking for your business plan.  Just trying to figure out how this would work to our advantage as well as yours.

Goldie

I have a question....

if I were to send you a sample of one of my candles with my label and my company information and website and it fits what your looking for - would my information stay on the product or are you looking to re-brand it as your own 

Mark,

As Clear Black said in her post, she as well as myself and I'm sure everyone else still don't know how exactly how products are going to be offered to consumers (customers)???  I posted a lot of questions that you answered that were in my mind just very evasive.  You answered but didn't answer the way we all could understand.  I feel like you are side stepping everyone's questions.  Getting right to the point here with out taking offense, you are asking people who are interested to private message you for details......Why can you not just state what you are doing?  Are you making your own website that you are going to name "Joe Blows Here and Tomorrow" (just using for example) and you are just going to purchase merchandise from different people.    If you are, that's what we are asking....Then you will be purchasing "wholesale".  We all understand that.  People are asking about branding as a lot of people (myself included) private label.  Nothing wrong with that.  Or are you going to offer products that people leave their own labels on and just offer to the public?  Opening or planning on a new business venture is wonderful.  I can understand if you are in the planning stage and everyone else does.   WE are not asking for your company name at this time.  We all want to know EXACTLY what your post is all about.  You said that you think this is a forum for DIY and hobbyests and not people who are business minded.  I beg to differ with that.  This forum is yes comprised of all of that....but there sure is a lot of people here who are BUSINESS people, who sell wholesale (as myselt) to stores,  there are many people here who have store fronts,  lots have websites, sell on Etsy, Ebay, you name it.........it is all here....You have peaked peoples interests here and people who want to make $$$$$.....well who doesn't?  So I don't know what the secret is about here, but you just need to be more definite here and come right to the point and tell us all (not in private messages) what you are doing and want.  You know what I mean?  You came to the forum and put up a post more or less giving an outline of something that you are looking for....But we really don't understand.  By being very evasive, you are going to turn people off like there is something funny going on here like at this point I'm starting to feel like that....

Trappeur

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

As a successful business person, I would want to know the answers to many of the questions asked here.  I would think it would be easier to clear some of those questions up on the forum rather than have to answer them over and over again in private messages.  

It is confusing, to me, when you say you want "one-off" products, but then you need participants to have the ability to "replenish" as well as provide you with "small, but bulk, orders."  I work with up to fifteen local artisans and know for sure there is at least one person who would be interested.  However, in the very least, I would have wanted to know answers to the above questions first.  We aren't asking for your business plan.  Just trying to figure out how this would work to our advantage as well as yours.

Goldie

Goldie - to be as concise as possible. I'm looking to procure and resell.

I'm not just asking the same questions in PM's repeatedly, but I would like to understand each person's situation a bit further rather than them broadcasting it to everyone.

View it how you prefer...however please give thought to this: If you were a buyer/planner for a larger company and seeking an item, would you gather all the possible suppliers on one conference call at once? Then ask them all to describe their processes, their quality program, their capacity, their OTD, their current supported industries, their minimums, their pricing (etc.)?

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

I have a question....

if I were to send you a sample of one of my candles with my label and my company information and website and it fits what your looking for - would my information stay on the product or are you looking to re-brand it as your own 

The product stays as it is produced.

No intention on re-branding a thing; not a fair practice without a written agreement.

This rolls back to why I would seek the best contenders possible. As a retailer, I could benefit from a strong product, as the manufacturer, you gain reputation.

Private-labeling (etc.) is common and advantageous to some degree, but my thought is it does not fit with the authenticity I'm seeking.

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Mark,

As Clear Black said in her post, she as well as myself and I'm sure everyone else still don't know how exactly how products are going to be offered to consumers (customers)???  I posted a lot of questions that you answered that were in my mind just very evasive.  You answered but didn't answer the way we all could understand.  I feel like you are side stepping everyone's questions.  Getting right to the point here with out taking offense, you are asking people who are interested to private message you for details......Why can you not just state what you are doing?  Are you making your own website that you are going to name "Joe Blows Here and Tomorrow" (just using for example) and you are just going to purchase merchandise from different people.    If you are, that's what we are asking....Then you will be purchasing "wholesale".  We all understand that.  People are asking about branding as a lot of people (myself included) private label.  Nothing wrong with that.  Or are you going to offer products that people leave their own labels on and just offer to the public?  Opening or planning on a new business venture is wonderful.  I can understand if you are in the planning stage and everyone else does.   WE are not asking for your company name at this time.  We all want to know EXACTLY what your post is all about.  You said that you think this is a forum for DIY and hobbyests and not people who are business minded.  I beg to differ with that.  This forum is yes comprised of all of that....but there sure is a lot of people here who are BUSINESS people, who sell wholesale (as myselt) to stores,  there are many people here who have store fronts,  lots have websites, sell on Etsy, Ebay, you name it.........it is all here....You have peaked peoples interests here and people who want to make $$$$$.....well who doesn't?  So I don't know what the secret is about here, [Mark: My business model] but you just need to be more definite here and come right to the point and tell us all (not in private messages) what you are doing and want. [Mark: Review your products/potentially purchase for resale]  You know what I mean?  You came to the forum and put up a post more or less giving an outline of something that you are looking for....But we really don't understand.  By being very evasive, you are going to turn people off like there is something funny going on here like at this point I'm starting to feel like that....

Trappeur

Trappeur - All due respect, you've taken something and blown it out of proportion. Allow me be direct (and repeat myself) as you've requested.

It's the internet, it's the US, there is free speech, yet the thread still doesn't benefit from keyboard warrior posts.

21 minutes ago, Incendia said:

Have you ever sold 'artsy' products before? Or for that matter, anything else?  Please elaborate.

Thanks. :)

Artsy as in deco. items is new territory that I've broken into recently. Variety of wall art / refurbished / antiqued tables etc. that I have sold. Working on other concepts but quite honestly need to hone the skills in certain areas before I'm comfortable representing the products. I sold candles & soap semi-regular but that has been over a decade ago since I was actually in stores actively pushing product. More recently I've been in the corporate world, making money for someone else, industrial products department averaging $29-$32M annually solely in my area of accountability (power/navy/nuclear environment). Alongside my corporate time I also managed a small 5-10 person local service business that handled property management, which did involve selling, but of home and commercial services.

The short answer, yes, but a work in progress.

Edited by Seahawks
  • Like 1

Thanks for replying.  I think you said this would be an online business. Do you have an up and running website we could look at?

Since this will be a new business, how do you intend to attract paying customers? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Incendia said:

Thanks for replying.  I think you said this would be an online business. Do you have an up and running website we could look at?

Since this will be a new business, how do you intend to attract paying customers? 

I do have some parked domains intended for the endeavor, a few too many actually. Currently utilizing a high-end home decor site as I lack the full-offering I'm aiming for.

To all:

Honestly - I'm not here to expand on how I choose to operate. I believe anyone who has genuine interest would have expressed so and conversation would be evolving (as it has with few). I consider this one closed. Moderation/Admin's please close the thread when possible.

Time Out here. if this isn't the venue for finding artists that fit your model, so be it. But I think if you got to know us, you would find that quite a few people here would easily fit your intended model, and have corporate experience that far surpasses your own. We're just not sure how to proceed with so little info. 

The goal described is already available in several lucrative marketplaces. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seahawks said:

Honestly - I'm not here to expand on how I choose to operate.

I have no further questions. You've told me all I need to know.

Good luck with your endeavor.

• Like 2

I will add no more to this thread except for to wish you good luck in your business adventure of whatever it is you are planning.  Sorry that you took me the wrong way with my post.  If you were an ongoing member of this great forum you would know by now all the people who are here and get to know them somewhat on a personal level as we all know one another here.  I actually took it to heart and offensively when you described the members of the forum as DIY or home makers who were not business minded and don't have any long term goals.  These men and women here although I have never met any of them, I've been here long enough to get to know all personalities and only through words typed on computers.   These are good, honest men and women here who are very intelligent and hard working and so many are aspiring to reach goals they have in their mind.    We have fun and we pick one anothers brains here.  We love it!  We help one one another and ask nothing in return.  I truly admire so many here!  I'm not a warrior either as you so imply by free speech......I don't think anyone here thinks of me as a warrior either.  If I was I would have been long gone by a moderator telling me to leave.  I guess I was more outspoken by asking questions of you that maybe others wanted to ask and just never did....Like I said we all just wanted to know more info about what you were OFFERING and just never got any answers to them by you.  In this day and age there are so many out there who take advantage of the innocent and coneive and I'm not implying this to you by any means.....so don't take it that way.  We have to be careful.  Maybe this was all good on the up and up by you...I sure hope it is.  I don't like having feelings like I have on this thread the way it has transpired.    I have nothing else to say other than the fact  that I hope that should some of these members here on the forum go into an agreement with you, I hope it is a very honest dealing as these are good people here and I wish nothing but the best for any of them and I wish you too Mark the best...I mean that sincerely.

Thankyou TT for what you said....

Trappeur

• Like 2