FO Adding

Hey everyone, hope you're all doing great!

When you guys are adding FO into your Candle Mix, do you guys take the wax that = that amount?

i.e. 280g of wax * 0.07 = 19.6g

Do you minus the 19.6g from the 280g, since the FO will/should substitute that amount of wax?

Is this a true 7% of FO adding?

Or am I thinking too much...and making my life too difficult?

It is all relative ... 10% is 10% no matter how many grams /ounces you are using.  The only time this is of importance is if the maximum holding capacity of your vessel is less than the amount of wax you want to pour into it! dont stress about it ... just have some tealights ready for any excess wax 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, obsessed said:

It is all relative ... 10% is 10% no matter how many grams /ounces you are using.  The only time this is of importance is if the maximum holding capacity of your vessel is less than the amount of wax you want to pour into it! dont stress about it ... just have some tealights ready for any excess wax 

Thanks Obsessed!

I'm grabbing more tin containers for the excess wax that I do come abouts sometimes. 

I've figured out afterwards, that logic should've kicked in, and 10%/8% of wax to FO ratio is the same, I'll just have extra.

I just feel like this whole candle making and perfecting the art is making me overthink a lot of the simple stuff.

haha ... I reread my answer a few times before I posted it  as i tend to come out with some clangers! Just keep  a few spare little candles ready to go , that way you never have a problem.The larger tealights and spa cups are great for excess wax. They burn around 12-15hr and also a great backups for short notice gifts and such

haha, well rather you be upfront than not!

I'll  be heading out to the local shop to purchase more tins/spa cups now because I haven't perfected in calculating the actual amount of wax per container. 

as a rough guide , tare your scales if digital ( do this by sitting your container on scales - press tare. This will give you a zero balance , as the weight of the container is NOT include). Then add water to the container .... this will tell you roughly how many mls /grams it holds. Keep in mind that waxes and oils will have different densities , so there will be a slight variation , but it will give you something to work with .  I have always beens told to go by weight rather than volume , so I use grams 

Edited by obsessed

On 3/31/2017 at 8:21 PM, Clear Black said:

Like TT said, just be consistent. This way your "recipe" will always stay true. 

I always just use 8% of whatever size batch im making. So for my 16oz jars its actually 13oz of wax. So I use 13x8% 

Quote me if I am wrong...but if you measure out 13oz of wax and add 8% oil, wouldn't that be that you are using more oil per pound by using the 13oz of wax?

Geesh, did make sense?

Trappeur

Trap, the difference is very small as a %. And it depends on how you set up the formula. 

1 oz per lb of wax is 17 oz total : 1 / 17 = 0.0588 or 5.88%

1 oz FO in 15 oz of wax for 16 oz total:  1/16 = 0.0625 or 6.25%

the difference is 0.37%, which can be significant depending on your wax and fragrance combo.

the latter method (reducing the wax amount by the amount of FO) is confusing until you set up a really good formula spreadsheet. If you end up blending waxes with different capabilities the computations get even more confusing.

the retailers never have explained succinctly what "they" mean by a wax will hold X% of fragrance. It is super frustrating when retailers vary on wax capability on the same darned wax! If the manufacturer claims 6%, retailer A claims 8% and retailer B claims 2oz per lb, which do you believe??? (I tend to follow the actual product manufacturer versus a retailer who writes ad copy to make sales). 

On 4/3/2017 at 9:48 AM, Trappeur said:

Quote me if I am wrong...but if you measure out 13oz of wax and add 8% oil, wouldn't that be that you are using more oil per pound by using the 13oz of wax?

Geesh, did make sense?

Trappeur

Trap, I only do it that way because my wax is said to be acceptable anywhere between 9%-12% FO/lb of wax. So if I stay at 8% for the 13oz or 8% at 16oz, it wont matter just as long as I am consistent with every batch I make. 

Plus, I always read the "1 oz per POUND" rule of thumb as just that. PER POUND. Not per 15 oz of wax, and 1 oz of FO. My wax, according to the MSDS, can accomodate 2 oz per pound, so me using 8% with 13oz of wax falls comfortably within the recomended usage and thats fine by me. I know most people stick towards 6%, but 8% works for me and until it doesnt I will stay at that percentage I guess :)

I calculate it so that my FO amount is part of the final wax amount.

In other words, if I am making 16oz total with 8% FO, here is how mine breaks down.

Wax - 14.7

FO - 1.3

Total - 16 (FO load roughly 8%

So, just take the total times the FO load and subtract it out.

The difference in doing it this way vs the other method is this.

Wax - 16

FO - 1.3

Total - 17.3 (but FO load is now 7.5%

And, 0.5% can be a big difference per candle but also in the long run.

Its up to you as long as your consistent. I wouldn't worry about if you are pushing

the boundaries of the max load for a specific wax. IF you are cutting it that close, you are playing

with fire anyway... literally :) 

The BIGGEST reason I go with first method is that it just makes more sense for batch sizing.

Its easier to figure out formulas, recipes, batch sizes, etc when I assume that the FO amount is

part of my total blend at the end. In other words, if I am wanting to make 1lb of my total blend, 

I want to know that is all included. I dont want to think.. well, I need 1 lb total but then I need to figure out

how much FO added to the wax will get me right to 16oz total. The first method I mentioned (the one I use)

inherently already does that for you. The second method does not.

I do something similar. But I first figure out how many oz of scented wax fill for the jars I will be pourings. So if I am pouring six jars of vanilla scented candle wax and the total fill for 6 jars is 30oz, I calculate 6% of 30oz. That will give me 1.8oz FO + 28.2oz wax, giving me a total of 30 oz of scented wax to fill my six jars. This way I am consistent with all my candles without wasting any wax.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I do something similar. But I first figure out how many oz of scented wax fill for the jars I will be pourings. So if I am pouring six jars of vanilla scented candle wax and the total fill for 6 jars is 30oz, I calculate 6% of 30oz. That will give me 1.8oz FO + 28.2oz wax, giving me a total of 30 oz of scented wax to fill my six jars. This way I am consistent with all my candles without wasting any wax.

Yes I agree and this is what I do. I have recipes for each candle and then mlutiple it by batch size.

I was only giving 16oz batch size for the sake of the example.

I'm with you Candybee

• Like 1

Seems we

11 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

Yes I agree and this is what I do. I have recipes for each candle and then mlutiple it by batch size.

I was only giving 16oz batch size for the sake of the example.

I'm with you Candybee

Seems we are on the same page! :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, obsessed said:

92% wax + 8% oil = 100%  total weight required    ..so much easier when you work in grams maybe?

I'm in America... we hate grams. Ha!

Kidding aside, Grams is alright if working in tiny amounts or increments.... otherwise I use ounces. Im just more used to working with ounces

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

I'm in America... we hate grams. Ha!

Kidding aside, Grams is alright if working in tiny amounts or increments.... otherwise I use ounces. Im just more used to working with ounces

Mostly the same here, with small amounts in grams and fractions of grams. I formulate all of my bath & beauty products regardless of batch size (even soap) in grams.

For some reason candles have always been in Oz. makes no sense really "why" I switched measurements, other than wax products were introduced to me as 1oz FO per lb so my work books stuck with that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ounces and pounds does my head in! LOL Also farenheight and celcius ... I am constantly uploading the conversion charts! hahaha  we need a universal craft measurement system!! Everything has become so much simpler here since we got computers ;)

Edited by obsessed