Fragrance Strength Testing

Was wondering if there is an easier/cheaper/quicker way to test the strength of a fragrance, without having to actually make a candle?  

I have brought so many fragrances, and keep making testers but finding it quite a wasteful and expensive process, especially when the fragrance isn't as strong or nice as i would hope.

Any ideas?  

• Thanks 1

Make melts first. That gives a good idea of the strength of a FO. It also helps to pick suppliers of good reputation such as Peaks, Candlescience or Lone star. There are others too, just search the board. I always used one ounce of FO per pound of wax. If it was not enough I did not keep that scent as I found using more FO per pound made the candle impossible to wick.  Keep in mind a melt will give more throw, faster than a candle. However, it gives you a starting point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, coconut said:

Make melts first. That gives a good idea of the strength of a FO. It also helps to pick suppliers of good reputation such as Peaks, Candlescience or Lone star. There are others too, just search the board. I always used one ounce of FO per pound of wax. If it was not enough I did not keep that scent as I found using more FO per pound made the candle impossible to wick.  Keep in mind a melt will give more throw, faster than a candle. However, it gives you a starting point.

Agreed ^^^ This is good advice. I also love making melts to test scent blends that I have in mind. 

Keep in mind though, melts are a great way to get an idea of what the scent will smell like in wax, but that the scent will change when a flame is introduced. Some will throw and some will not, even though they tested great as a wax melt. So testing in a candle environment is always helpful. Yes, testing is expensive, but it's the cost of having a great product to put out on the market. 

• Like 7

I usually test new FO and combinations in a wax melter, but using salt.

I know some people on this board think it is stupid, or a waste, but once that salt heats I get a true sense of what the heated FO smells like, along with any potentially ugly undertones without wasting time making melts.

Two or three drops tells me within minutes all I need to know. A recent bottle threw such a horrid chemical undertone it made me physically sick. So glad I did not waste any more wax or time on it!

if I hate a fragrance in it's pure form I won't waste any more time or materials on a test candle or melt. I just don't have time when dozens of bottles wait to be tested. 

the poster above is correct that it will smell different when burning in a candle. The wax has its own smell, plus the combustion of the wax and aromachemicals will alter the "pure" scent. And sometimes the FO just won't throw in your wax. I have encountered fragrances and essential oils that make my wax nearly impossible to burn. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the replies.

TallTayl can I ask..... the salt you use, is it just normal table salt?  And how much do you use ? maybe 1 tablespoon to 2-3 drops of fo?

This would be a great way to see if I like the scent, as I'm struggling with throwing away so many wasted testers with no throw or horrible scents.

Any salt works. I have huge pails of sea salt, table salt, kosher salt... even water softener salt. And a couple of drops of FO. 

I don't measure, I just pour some salt into the top to hold the oil so I can toss it out easily.

The spent salt then goes onto a rug where it gets vacuumed up and fills my home with scent.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I usually test new FO and combinations in a wax melter, but using salt.

I know some people on this board think it is stupid, or a waste, but once that salt heats I get a true sense of what the heated FO smells like, along with any potentially ugly undertones without wasting time making melts.

Two or three drops tells me within minutes all I need to know. A recent bottle threw such a horrid chemical undertone it made me physically sick. So glad I did not waste any more wax or time on it!

if I hate a fragrance in it's pure form I won't waste any more time or materials on a test candle or melt. I just don't have time when dozens of bottles wait to be tested. 

the poster above is correct that it will smell different when burning in a candle. The wax has its own smell, plus the combustion of the wax and aromachemicals will alter the "pure" scent. And sometimes the FO just won't throw in your wax. I have encountered fragrances and essential oils that make my wax nearly impossible to burn. 

I do not think it is a waste, at all. After all, there are many tools in the toolbox of scented wax making! I got the idea from you have have used it when I am uncertain if a particular FO is going to be too similar to one I already have or if the OOB smell is so off that I want to quickly try out the scent when warmed.

I then make 2 melt cups of every scent I test. I melt one just as it is straight from the bottle and save the other for a retest or if the first test passed testing, I use the other to start blending to get a scent I will offer.

Years ago when I started, I poured each 1 ounce bottle for testing. I gave or threw away a lot of wax in those days! 

I got a big container of sea salt from Trader Joe’s which makes this method inexpensive and in my experience, very effective. NOT, of course, in deciding if a scent will be swiftly added to my scent list but if it is frankly worth my time and money to pursue at all which is just what you indicate as well.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 4:44 AM, coconut said:

This isn't a bad idea but I wouldnt rely on it for more than just "do I like the scent or not".

Most of us do not use the same wax in our container candles as we do melts. Melts generally throw fax faster and stronger (depending on the size of jar you are using).

Not only that, but the wax in the melts will throw the scent differently as well.

Every scent I use in candles, I also sell in melts. Plus I have WAY more in melts than I do candles simply for the reasons mentioned above. Some are just great in melts but not so great in my candles. Thus, they are available in melts but not candles. So I dont know that I would base candle success of the melt test.

Not saying my method is any better than others, but Ill share what I do regardless. I start off by simply making a 1 regular candle in whatever jar and fill it just half way.

This is all you need to determine if the FO will be a good choice with that wax as far as scent goes. Once you decide on that, then you can start wick testing, etc.

You are not out that much at all do this inital test. A buck or two at most. Wick testing and different jars is where cost starts adding up.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2017 at 9:41 PM, TallTayl said:

Any salt works. I have huge pails of sea salt, table salt, kosher salt... even water softener salt. And a couple of drops of FO. 

I don't measure, I just pour some salt into the top to hold the oil so I can toss it out easily.

The spent salt then goes onto a rug where it gets vacuumed up and fills my home with scent.

Oh that's a great idea !