Caution: CS Cotton Candy Messes with M&P Bases

glasllyn

I thought maybe this should go under scent reviews, but no one seems to post there, and this is important.

Even if this FO smelled good, (which it doesn't, it's the most inauthentic cotton candy I've ever smelled) it made my BB bases rubbery and, thus, impossible to layer. I used both clear and white bases, in two different concentrations of the FO. Regardless of the concentration, it had the same rubbery character. needless to say, I threw all of it away. I've never had this happen before. Usually, the white base is very hard and not at all pliable.  Just a weird, yucky experience all around. 

Excuse me, but I have to take out the garbage and bleach my house so I don't have to smell this anymore...

• Like 3

Thank you, Moonstar! I really need a cotton candy for this scent I'm trying to create.

The weird thing is, the reviews were very positive, which makes me question the reviews on their website.

Edited by glasllyn
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Most all of CS oils are very good. It might of just been that one. Plus, keep in mind we all smell differently. Everyone raves about RE's Bonfire Bliss 

I do not care for it at all - so goes to show ya 

I honestly want to send this to a whole bunch of people because, yes, we all smell things differently, but I can't imagine anyone smelling this and thinking of any kind of food item.

26 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Maybe contact them? CS's Cotton Candy is the only one I'll use because it's the only one to me that smells like cotton candy. The vanillin content though, you'll have to use a VS or it WILL brown your soap. 

I wasn't concerned with the color since I could see right away it was dark. You're right, it would need a VS. 

We must have two different scents. I'm sincerely wondering that. You know how some people think one vanilla isn't accurate and another says it's not? Totally understandable. This is different. This didn't even smell like the kind of cotton candy you'd get in a cheap kids' lipbalm at Walmart. And then there's the way it behaved (or did not behave, in this case) in my soaps. I think you're right about contacting them.

23 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Your oil is dark? I would definitely call them. My Cotton Candy from CS is a very light golden color, and not something I would consider dark.. Like at all. 

I will take a pic and post it for you... 

That doesn't look like it would discolor very much at all. Huh. Well, I just had an online chat with them. On the bright side, I just made tarts with their Chocolate Fudge and they smell truly edible!

What M&P base did you use? I know I tried some M&P from Nature's Garden once and that stuff was crap. It started to get rubbery in the measuring cup before I could even get it all poured. It did make a good, hard finished bar of soap, but it was a nightmare to work with. I tried it because it was cheap, even though I've been using SFIC since 2004 and should have known better!

7 hours ago, Faerywren said:

What M&P base did you use? I know I tried some M&P from Nature's Garden once and that stuff was crap. It started to get rubbery in the measuring cup before I could even get it all poured. It did make a good, hard finished bar of soap, but it was a nightmare to work with. I tried it because it was cheap, even though I've been using SFIC since 2004 and should have known better!

It's from BB: TCP clear and white. They're the only ones I've ever used. 

(I'm waiting for new soap to come, and I'm like a little kid waiting for Santa. Just sharing.)