Ecosoya CB Advanced Users: Can We Talk?

I know this wax is going away soon, but I have a big ol' bag of it and I was hoping to use it for more than the melts I've been making. The thing is, I've never made a candle in my life.  So, here's what I'd like to discuss, if you'd be so kind:

- What do you like to do with this wax?

- Can I make a freestanding votive with this? If it's possible, which wick would you use?

- What negatives have you encountered with this wax? 

- If you're making a change due to its discontinuation, which wax will you use?

P.S. Have I mentioned that I've never made a candle before? I've been living a very sad life, haven't I?

44 minutes ago, glasllyn said:

- What do you like to do with this wax?

Honestly nothing. I found three scents in two years that did well in it. My honest quarter is throw it away, and start from scratch using something you can at least get again to duplicate. :)

- Can I make a freestanding votive with this? If it's possible, which wick would you use?

Votive candles can't be free standing. Votives are containers sold without the container. On that note, that wax is far too soft to mold at all.

- What negatives have you encountered with this wax? 

Where would you like me to start? ;)

- If you're making a change due to its discontinuation, which wax will you use?

I never used it, but my company sold it for years. I personally prefer the IGI 6006 paraffin soy blend or the Ez Soy or GB  415.

• Like 2

Like Flicker said basically, get rid of it or like Coconut said just use it for melts for yourself.  Don't even waste your time figuring out how to make anything else with it....what for?  It's discontued.  Would be a complete waste of time.

Trappeur

• Like 1

When CBA first came out I bought some and tried working with it for candlemaking. My personal opinion is that is not a very good wax if you want quality scent throw. CBA was specifically designed to make a creamier, opaque candle with little to no frosting and good glass adhesion. I must say it produces a beautiful candle but that is where it ends. You sacrifice scent throw for beauty. For me that was not good enough so I gave it up and moved onto another wax.

I agree if you want to start making candles go with a new wax that is popular and is not being discontinued. There are a lot of options for wax choices.

You can continue to use up the wax for your melts or even make some fire starters with them. Or just donate it like others suggested.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

There's just SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUCH. I guess what I'm trying to say here is I have ten pounds of it, and I hate waste.

Maybe I can get lucky with a few particular scents for melts? I have great throw with a few. That said, I agree with you all, and if you happen to make melts, I would very much like to hear about your favorite wax. 

23 hours ago, glasllyn said:

There's just SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUCH. I guess what I'm trying to say here is I have ten pounds of it, and I hate waste.

Maybe I can get lucky with a few particular scents for melts? I have great throw with a few. That said, I agree with you all, and if you happen to make melts, I would very much like to hear about your favorite wax. 

LOL!  After my scent issues, I gave to Goodwill about 150 lbs. of jar wax.  I haven't yet been able to part with my favorite wax for melts: Astorlite V.  This wax is a little hard to get, only a few suppliers sell it.  But, it comes in pellet form so it is very easy to work with and has truly awesome throw. One tartlet which is about an ounce of wax can scent about 500 square feet easy.  I would be happy to sell this wax as I too, hate waste. Don't really have a place to store it when I move. I have two full cases and one about 3/4 full.  Be glad to send you a small sample if you pay shipping or a larger sample for cheap if you pay shipping.  It has a fairly high melt point so it doesn't get icky like the container wax I used, and pops out of the molds easy.  A few minutes in the freezer and it comes right out.  Sadly I've given up scented melts along with the candles.  A friend was thrilled as we gave him my stockpile.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 6:29 PM, glasllyn said:

Thanks for this!

By freestanding votive I meant one that doesn't come in a container, but that you would put into a votive holder. 

I really appreciate your input.

I was going to suggest you could blend it with PB for free standing votives but PB isn't available either ?

I would just ditch it personally if it will not be available any longer because eventually you will run out and if you find a great creation with it your still going to be out of luck

• Like 2

Can I piggy back on this thread??? PLEASE OH PLEASE...

I am a former CB Advanced user trying to make the switch over to another available wax.  I need guidance from others that use perhaps 464 or another wax...Preferably soy. We are starting the arduous task of retesting ALL of our candle scents (there's 30+ non Holiday Season) and I'm at my wits end. I was able to find (3) boxes of the Advanced (at a premium) to get us by but I'm afraid the way things are going we're not going to make it.

What I'm wanting to know for those that use the 464... Which brand of wicks do you use? We have always used ECO wicks and that is what I am currently testing. I picked (12) of our candles that are great hot throws (in the CB Advanced) and are concentrating on those. I hear everyone say the 464 is great but things aren't gelling just yet. I feel like I'm getting inconsistent burns with ECO wicks and the 464 and want to see what other brands of wicks everyone use. 

I made a few candles with CD and LX wicks today that I will test, but my fear is I'm trying to jump all over the place with wicks and I'll end up making things more confusing. I'm not asking for you to design my candles but just some direction as to which most people prefer.

Also... I see where others use waxes other than 464. Should I test those out as well? I have a box of the 6006 but we have so many people that buy our candles because of the ALL SOY factor. (I'm not a ALL SOY fanatic. I realize there are two sides to every story. Just depends on what side you're on.) Just need a nudge in one certain way so I can get this ball rolling. I want to make great candles.

Here's what we've been doing for testing purposes on the 464:

1. Heat Wax to 180-185.

2. Add Fragrance oil and mix well

3. Pour in Jars at 100-105...

We use a 12oz. plain sided mason jar (see pic) with the ECO wicks I purchased from Lonestar. I am consistent with where I purchase my wicks because those were the ones I started all my testing years ago with the Advanced. So that's what I have on hand. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 10.50.00 PM.png

• Like 1

With 464 you can pour hotter than 100, I think I poured around 140-150 smooth tops no problem but that was years ago, I do not use this wax any longer 

CD wick series work great in 464 and many I believe use the premiers - eco tend to burn hot and I personally did not care for the wick series at all in any soy I have ever used 

I would read about all the soy and make a choice and work with it at least long enough to get a good feel on how it behaves and burns, testing multiple waxes at a time will just add more chaos and you would have to test many many scents of each to get a good feel for the wax in general and how it behaves 

if your testing 464 right now I would stick with it - it's a good wax used by many and you will know after many batches if it's working for you or not, I would test at least 2 if not 3 wick series as well and you should be able to narrow it down to one type fairly quick 

• Like 1

Thank you.... I currently am sticking with the 464. Until I either love it or move on. I just don't want to waste a lot of time on the ECO wicks if others have had success with LX or CD. I made some samples with our top selling candle with the 464 and (2) CD and (2) LX wicks today. The one CD I used was from Bittercreek and I like how Stiff and thick it was. I've heard others that like theirs. If I can just get a good starting point then I don't mind doing the testing. I just hate this inconsistency with what I'm doing now. 

FOr example... Not to confuse the issue.... We still have a bit of the Advanced wax left and we still have candles we have to make to supply our shelves. A lady brought one of our candles in today with an inconsistent burn. We had tested this candle with the ECO 8 and Advanced and it burned great... Great Throw.... I replaced her candle and scraped the sides on the candle and relit. It stayed lit but was no where big enough. I just don't understnad how we can go from Great Test... To bad burn... Bad burns can make or break a candle company and I am very careful that we test systematically. When we do new scents I always do a burn after a couple of days and then again after about 1 to 1.5 weeks to make sure there are no changes. I'm at the point of blaming it on the ECO wicks and just want to make a fresh new start with what I hope is a bomb Killer of a candle with the 464 and a new wick. 

Steve

I know people don't like CB Advanced, but I use it for melts and it has been great. I get great hot and cold throw, high scent load, and no frosting. @Glassfishy ,I read that they're  coming out with a reformulation this month. Have you heard about that, too? Maybe you won't have to make the big switch.

Edited by glasllyn
typo

Glasillyn,

I've read that, but I've also heard they are not sure if it will happen. My problem is I can't wait that long. And either way I will still have to retest all of my candles. And another place I read that NGI likes to "change things up" every couple of years. I can't go through this again. We run a business selling candles and this is upsetting our apple cart. It's like starting all over.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

They just brought this wax back recently. I have never used it before and tried it with wax melts and several different sized container candles. Perfect! No repour with tops , smooth , no air jackets or any other common problems. The cold throw is great and hot throw. It is a keeper for me. One of the best waxes I have ever used.