Anyone tried organic lip balm flavor oils before. I found 2 doing a quick search but they only offer them in big bottles, each costing $11- $13. What prompted this search

was my daughter told me about these lip balms( Treat Beauty) she tried and loved em. She asked if I could make her some to put in her salon. I guess I question how flavor 

oils are certified organic. If anyone knows much about this Id appreciate some advise . Thank you in advance :) Also, Im assuming the difference between a balm and 

a lip butter is the texture, any tips on making a lip butter. Im open to all suggestions :) 

Edited by Moonstar

I would just go with some simple essential oils personally. Make sure they are FCC so they can be used on the lips.

All of the "natural" flavors I've tried don't taste good and are often weak.

as for balm versus butter, technically lip balm is a cosmetic and is governed by the FDA.  Balms are typically thought of as healing.   Semantics of calling it a butter can possibly skirt that.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I would just go with some simple essential oils personally. Make sure they are FCC so they can be used on the lips.

as for balm versus butter, technically lip balm is a cosmetic and is governed by the FDA.  Balms are typically thought of as healing.   Semantics of calling it a butter can possibly skirt that.

Thank you :) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2017 at 6:04 PM, TallTayl said:

The Sage has several vanillas 

including a natural vanilla oil 

have you tried any of these 

if so which one do you recommend? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2017 at 6:04 PM, TallTayl said:

Can you advise who carries the right kind of EOs I could use for lip balms? How can you tell if they are FCC? What do I look for when I am looking?

Also, should I change the name of my lip balms to lip butter? I just assumed lip balm was pretty universal and okay to use. I don't market it as a 'healing' balm of any sort. Just plain old lip balm.

For lip I use those marketed and sold as lip flavor from MMS/the sage. Hoping it is not a total leap of faith, since theirs are sold specifically as flavor.

Used to routinely purchase FCC eo's from the long gone scent works. They were specifically marked as FCC. When shopping elsewhere I always ask before buying to be sure. 

Not sure if the FDA is cracking down on indies (yet) over labeling products as balms, but I figured I would use my luck elsewhere and simply not label as something that could trigger an audit or C&D. Technically a balm implies healing or drug purpose, so why risk it? 

• Like 2

Thanks TT.

I did a little search and see WSP has some lip safe EOs. But I am not crazy about their limited selection. Will check out The Sage.

I think I may follow your idea of renaming my 'balms' to butters. Don't like to risk having the FDA come after me.

• Like 1