Campire/Toasted Marshmallow/Firewood follow up

jbradshaw

I had posted about this as part of another thread, but for those searching in the future I thought it might be easier to have this separately. Hopefully others will post what they have experienced going after this particular scent. It is so nostalgic for me - I'd love to be able to recreate it. 

I'm trying to get that campfire smell, with a hint of toasting marshmallows.

My mixes:

WSP Crackling Firewood, in an 8oz jar, ECO 12

WSP Crackling Firewood + JS Toasted Marshmallow (2:1), in an 8oz jar, ECO 12

WSP Crackling Firewood + JS Vanilla Bean Marshmallow (2:1), in an 8oz jar, ECO 12

Peaks Fireside, in an 8oz tin, ECO 12

All these were in 464, at 6%. 

The CF + Vanilla Bean Marshmallow was the nicest, but the marshmallow is so strong that I'd have to change the ratios to favor the CF even more than I already did. Good cold and hot throw. I worried the ECO 12 would be too large/hot and towards the end of the candle the jar was quite hot. But, it wasn't problematic until then so perhaps a shallower jar? 

CF and Toasted Marshmallow I still haven't burned - the marshmallow is so overpowering already that I know it won't be the scent I'm looking for. I'll still burn it at some point though because it's nice. 

Fireside smelled too much like cologne - my husband loves it though. I don't think I'll try to combine it with marshmallow, I think it would be weird. 

CF on it's own was definitely overwicked with the ECO 12. 

Next up I'm going to try:

CF + VBN in a tin with the ECO 12, and in a jar with a CD 8, 10, and 12. Probably will change the blend as well, even though I know that is more than one variable to test. 

Jo

• Like 3

I'll be watching this thread as I'm wanting a great combo one day.

Another combo that could be nice is the Crackling Firewood, Vanilla Bean Marshmallow and maybe a hint of hot cocoa or CS Snickerdoodle or Flamings Salted Caramel.....I've been looking for years to get a perfect combo but nothing yet.....

Trappeur

• Like 2

Weird how you say the Crackling Firewood smells like cologne in a candle. I would have never thought. I love that your posting your finding and your blends.

Very nice of you as it is very helpful to others, thank you :) Trappeur, I love your suggestions too - sounds great ! I have FB Salted Caramel Im wondering 

if it similar to Flamings ? 

Weird, I bought Flaming's Firewood and OOB hated it but went ahead and put it in wax.  As soon as it hit the wax it changed into firewood. My entire downstairs smelled like we had a fireplace burning as my melts were cooling.   I'm naming it Beach Bonfire.  Love the idea of adding some marshmallow to it, thanks for the post!

Kandlekrazy I'll have to try the firewood from flaming! 

Moonstat, it wasn't the CF it was Peaks fireside that was a little cologne-y :) CF continues to be perfection (to me) and definitely a true firewood smell. 

I don't really have bakery scents but I'll have to try out a chocolate or caramel bc I know people just love them. 

On 3/18/2017 at 8:27 PM, Moonstar said:

Weird how you say the Crackling Firewood smells like cologne in a candle. I would have never thought. I love that your posting your finding and your blends.

Very nice of you as it is very helpful to others, thank you :) Trappeur, I love your suggestions too - sounds great ! I have FB Salted Caramel Im wondering 

Moonstar, I think she said it was Peaks Fireside that smells like cologne.  It's kinda strange but most firesides really do smell like cologne, now that I think about it.  I'm so turned off by pretty much all firesides and never could really pin point what I didn't like about them till I read this post.  The only one that I have ever liked (loved) is WSP Crackling firewood, but as I have said in other posts....could never wick it as it was just too heavy a scent for the wicks I used which was only a cd or an htp.  Maybe I need to try an eco...

Trappeur

On 3/18/2017 at 8:27 PM, Moonstar said:

Weird h w you say the Crackling Firewood smells like cologne in a candle. I would have never thought. I love that your posting your finding and your blends.

Moonstar, I have never tried Fragrance Buddy's Salted Caramel.  Now Aztec's Salted Caramel I got no throw in 464.  When standing over the candle when I did make it in Aztecs, I could just barely smell it and I didn't care for it even if I had gotten it to throw, so I didn't care for Aztecs.  Now Flamings Salted Caramel is the bomb in 464 and I love love this fragrance.  It's a very rich caramelly scent in 464 with just a hint of salt that I can detect in it and it throws like the dickens for me.  When I found this scent, I really don't care to look further as it is that nice.\\

Trappeur

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/18/2017 at 7:42 PM, jbradshaw said:

I had posted about this as part of another thread, but for those searching in the future I thought it might be easier to have this separately. Hopefully others will post what they have experienced going after this particular scent. It is so nostalgic for me - I'd love to be able to recreate it. 

I'm trying to get that campfire smell, with a hint of toasting marshmallows.

My mixes:

WSP Crackling Firewood, in an 8oz jar, ECO 12

WSP Crackling Firewood + JS Toasted Marshmallow (2:1), in an 8oz jar, ECO 12

WSP Crackling Firewood + JS Vanilla Bean Marshmallow (2:1), in an 8oz jar, ECO 12

Peaks Fireside, in an 8oz tin, ECO 12

All these were in 464, at 6%. 

The CF + Vanilla Bean Marshmallow was the nicest, but the marshmallow is so strong that I'd have to change the ratios to favor the CF even more than I already did. Good cold and hot throw. I worried the ECO 12 would be too large/hot and towards the end of the candle the jar was quite hot. But, it wasn't problematic until then so perhaps a shallower jar? 

CF and Toasted Marshmallow I still haven't burned - the marshmallow is so overpowering already that I know it won't be the scent I'm looking for. I'll still burn it at some point though because it's nice. 

Fireside smelled too much like cologne - my husband loves it though. I don't think I'll try to combine it with marshmallow, I think it would be weird. 

CF on it's own was definitely overwicked with the ECO 12. 

Next up I'm going to try:

CF + VBN in a tin with the ECO 12, and in a jar with a CD 8, 10, and 12. Probably will change the blend as well, even though I know that is more than one variable to test. 

Jo

Hey Jo how did your testing turn out ? I saw NG has a crackling firewood, have you ever tried that one ? They have a crackling birch too, not sure if id like that one 

though. Which wax do you use, I didn't see if you mention that in your post. 

Oh, I'm glad this thread came up again......JB did you ever figure out your "fabulous" creation of a campfire/marshmallow?

I need to get back on the stick with this combo again.

Maybe I should get someone to duplicate McCalls Campfire Marshmallow and get it done and over with.

Trappeur

I stopped using the 8oz straight sided jars that I poured these tests into, and switched almost completely to 8oz tins so I gave up trying to get the right wick on that container. I haven't had a chance to pour in the tin with CF and either of the marshmallows, as I'm getting ready for my first show next month (eek!) and I'm not including that scent (obviously).

However, I did take out the 8oz jar I had poured of Crackling Firewood and Toasted marshmallow, and found that now the marshmallow scent is much subtler. This has basically been curing for four months. So - an interesting find for sure, and will inform my tests when I finally get around to it.

@Moonstar I pour 464 for candles, and I haven't tried the NG FO - I've never ordered from them so I'm trying to steer clear of yet another supplier :)  

I might pour some melts with these combos to see if I can get closer to a scent I love. I tend to prefer candles, but if I could get that perfect blend I'd be fine with melts. 

• Like 1

Also following this thread--looking for the perfect fireside scent, as well.  Finding WSPs Crackling Firewood to be a bit strong and maybe a bit "smoked meat" smelling OOB.  

jbradshaw, I am still working on wicking the 8 oz straight sided jars and have had really good luck with Premiers--most scents do well w/ a 750 or 755, a few stronger ones need a 760.  Like them a lot.  

44 minutes ago, ellajoan said:

Also following this thread--looking for the perfect fireside scent, as well.  Finding WSPs Crackling Firewood to be a bit strong and maybe a bit "smoked meat" smelling OOB.  

jbradshaw, I am still working on wicking the 8 oz straight sided jars and have had really good luck with Premiers--most scents do well w/ a 750 or 755, a few stronger ones need a 760.  Like them a lot.  

I don't get a smoked meat smell 

but I did get that from 2-3 others 

that I've tried. Have you tried many ?

On 3/18/2017 at 9:01 PM, kandlekrazy said:

Weird, I bought Flaming's Firewood and OOB hated it but went ahead and put it in wax.  As soon as it hit the wax it changed into firewood. My entire downstairs smelled like we had a fireplace burning as my melts were cooling.   I'm naming it Beach Bonfire.  Love the idea of adding some marshmallow to it, thanks for the post!

I was on Flaming yesterday and noticed they also have a campfire 

FO as well. Have you tried that one ? Does Flamings firewood smell like the smoke or an actual fire 

19 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I was on Flaming yesterday and noticed they also have a campfire 

FO as well. Have you tried that one ? Does Flamings firewood smell like the smoke or an actual fire 

Haven't tried campfire.  The firewood idk to me smells like a burning fire and fires are smokey so I guess you get both in it the wood and the smoke. OOB and in wax are so different and I don't have any here in wax to smell right now.

• Like 1

Darbla you beat me to it! I was just going to post the same thing. To me Bonfire Bliss has all the notes you are looking for. You definitely smell the smoky campfire with toasted marshmellow. As a matter of fact the marshmellow note was very distinct to me. Not overwhelming, just the right amount of sweetness so you would think of marshmellows roasting on a campfire. That is exactly what it smells like to me.

• 1 month later...

I love Bonfire Bliss for a camping scent--it's the perfect combo of fire, evergreen, and hint of marshmallow.  I am still looking for a perfect "straight fire" scent that is not too meaty (WSP Cracklin Firewood) or Cologney (CS Fireside).  Any more suggestions?  

On 7/23/2017 at 8:48 AM, Darbla said:

RE's Bonfire Bliss used to be popular around here.  Have any of you tried it?  I did but that was a few years ago so it might be a completely different scent now.  You know how they keep reformulating. 

I don't care for it at all - it smells nothing like a bonfire to me or even close to anything related - it smells like sweet yuck to my nose ?

BCN campfire is a straight up smoke from a fire and woukd make a great blender IMO for creating your own bonfire type 

SC woodsmoke is fabulous also but it is more of a sweet smoke but definitely woodsmoke 

• Like 1

@Darbla Like @moonshine said, it doesn't smell like a bonfire at all to me either.Nor do I pick up any notes of evergreen or marshmallow.  But thats just my

opinion, you might love it. I don't pick up sweet but more of a perfumey smell to me + no campfire scent in the least. I was actually surprised + disappointed

because it had so many great reviews. Goes to show you just how differently we all smell things or perceive how something should smell. Very interesting .

1 hour ago, ellajoan said:

I love Bonfire Bliss for a camping scent--it's the perfect combo of fire, evergreen, and hint of marshmallow.  I am still looking for a perfect "straight fire" scent that is not too meaty (WSP Cracklin Firewood) or Cologney (CS Fireside).  Any more suggestions?  

I don't get any "meaty" from WSP Crackling Firewood but I agree CS Fireside does have a perfume scent to it. Candlewick has a smoked Birch - Gross 

it smells like beef jerky to me. BC has a campfire that does have a campfire smoke smell but Im not super crazy about that one. NG has a fire scent

but its perfumey to me. I saw one on Candlemakers store that I might try, I'll let you do if I order it.