Hi From MA

JeremyM

Hi everyone, 

I've been reading through these forums for a few months now since I started to make candles and figured I might as well officially join! I originally started to learn about candles because I thought it would make for a great project in my middle school science class. I wanted my students to learn the chemistry involved while also developing entrepreneurship skills. I planned to make a small "business" and give the students control over the type of wax/fragrances we would use. All profits would go to funding future class projects. It seemed like a great idea...until we didn't get the grant we needed. 

I decided I knew too much about candles to just give up, so I decided to go on my own and have created my own company. I've been testing away since November and plan to open up an online store in the next month or so. I've learned a lot from these forums. Thank you!

I had researched projects other teachers had done and came across a high school science teacher in California who did a similar project, except they made soap. I was very impressed by it. I was hesitant to use lye with middle schoolers, plus I felt candles would be more fun.

You can read more about that project below: 

http://www.hightechhigh.org/hthma/project/wicked-soap-company/

Hi and welcome to Craft Server!

How cool to want to get a project going to teach your students entrepreneurial skills. You could make M&P soap instead so you would have to work with lye.... or use CP batch soap to make natural soap. Either method you don't have to use lye because its already soap. But to sell the soap they would have to learn how to purchase, prepare it, mold it, cure it, package it, develop marketing skills; branding, pricing, storing, displaying, inventory, etc.

Lots of soap supply places sell M&P. For CP rebatch bases you can find at Brambleberry.