Just Ordered These Unusual Scents

glasllyn

12 hours ago, rctfavr3 said:

Haha wow. Shoot now the whole world knows my secret formula! LoL

Wow Rtcfavr3 you are awesome! I'd never even think of blending my own but would love to buy this scent. I can remember when I was little and the JCPenney catalog would come in the mail I would love the smell of that. Not sure if that's an old book smell but I loved it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daisymay66 said:

Wow Rtcfavr3 you are awesome! I'd never even think of blending my own but would love to buy this scent. I can remember when I was little and the JCPenney catalog would come in the mail I would love the smell of that. Not sure if that's an old book smell but I loved it!

SoS has a scent called Magazine... Smells just like that!

• Like 1

I just got my samples from Lebermuth today and it included leather bound books. I like it very subtle on the leather. I am thinking I may just try the recipe above of almond, grass and vanilla and add a touch of leather. I will let you know how it comes out. I tried just the three fragrances but I was a bit too heavy on the almond.

Karen in MA

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kfintoni said:

I just got my samples from Lebermuth today and it included leather bound books. I like it very subtle on the leather. I am thinking I may just try the recipe above of almond, grass and vanilla and add a touch of leather. I will let you know how it comes out. I tried just the three fragrances but I was a bit too heavy on the almond.

Karen in MA

Thanks for that info! Let me know how you do!

23 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Im confused. How does almond, grass and vanilla translate to the smell of old leather books ? 

It doesn't. It contributes to the smell of paper. And even then "contributes" is the keyword. The aroma chemicals of paper have the same base chemicals that is aldo found in Almond FO, FCGrass FO and many vanilla fragrances. Combined (the aroma chems) they add characteristics of paper. The above recipe (if you can call it that) has been grossly simplified. I provided a better recipe on another thread if you want a leatherbound old book smell. And even that formula is more pleasant and avant guard perfumey to realistic old dusty books. Results may vary. See store for details...lol

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2017 at 11:01 AM, glasllyn said:

I just ordered these unusual scents from SoS as sniffies. I have no idea what to expect, but I can't find them elsewhere, so I figured it was worth a shot. If anyone is interested in hearing more about the resultant weirdness, I'll update.

Exhaust (Gas)
 Gasoline (Low Octane)
 Library
 Magazine
 Paper

Antique Shop
 Basement
 Beef Jerky
 Chalk (Sheetrock/Drywall)
 Dusty Attic

Pot Roast
 Toast (Buttered)
 Key Note: Musty
 Light Beer
 True Rain

Snuggles |Type*|
 Camay Soap |Type*|
 Agree Soap |Type*|
 Dark Rum |Type*|
 Brown Sugar

@glasllyn  What did you think of these fragrances?  On target?

Goldie

• Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 11:01 AM, glasllyn said:

I just ordered these unusual scents from SoS as sniffies. I have no idea what to expect, but I can't find them elsewhere, so I figured it was worth a shot. If anyone is interested in hearing more about the resultant weirdness, I'll update.

Exhaust (Gas)
 Gasoline (Low Octane)
 Library
 Magazine
 Paper

Antique Shop
 Basement
 Beef Jerky
 Chalk (Sheetrock/Drywall)
 Dusty Attic

Pot Roast
 Toast (Buttered)
 Key Note: Musty
 Light Beer
 True Rain

Snuggles |Type*|
 Camay Soap |Type*|
 Agree Soap |Type*|
 Dark Rum |Type*|
 Brown Sugar

Any updates on thoughts/results?  I'm now wondering about some of these too, as I may be making my first SOS order for samples.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 0:26 PM, Darbla said:

Any updates on thoughts/results?  I'm now wondering about some of these too, as I may be making my first SOS order for samples.

I wish I could say yes! Alas, I haven't. I'm going to use them for an unusual line for Christmas.

I can tell you this: OOB the Pot Roast is STRONG (as in I had to put it in a baggie and tuck it away) and it's accurate. Other ones that smell accurate OOB  are Gasoline, Magazine, Buttered Toast, Light Beer, and Beef Jerky.

I'm sorry I can't be of help yet. I'm a photographer and the busy season started, so I couldn't get into the project. When I do, I will update. If you do, please share! 

On 3/17/2017 at 1:35 PM, Moonstar said:

Im confused. How does almond, grass and vanilla translate to the smell of old leather books ? 

The underlying old book smell is vanilla, but not in the sense we're used to. It's vanilla ex lignin, I've been told, which is derived from some kind of paper pulp. All of those scents are very, very subtle. We're so used to having almonds and vanilla and grass up in our faces as stand-alones. It's hard to explain, but they're all in there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glasllyn said:

The underlying old book smell is vanilla, but not in the sense we're used to. It's vanilla ex lignin, I've been told, which is derived from some kind of paper pulp. All of those scents are very, very subtle. We're so used to having almonds and vanilla and grass up in our faces as stand-alones. It's hard to explain, but they're all in there.

???

• Like 1