Just Ordered These Unusual Scents

glasllyn

I just ordered these unusual scents from SoS as sniffies. I have no idea what to expect, but I can't find them elsewhere, so I figured it was worth a shot. If anyone is interested in hearing more about the resultant weirdness, I'll update.

Exhaust (Gas)
 Gasoline (Low Octane)
 Library
 Magazine
 Paper

Antique Shop
 Basement
 Beef Jerky
 Chalk (Sheetrock/Drywall)
 Dusty Attic

Pot Roast
 Toast (Buttered)
 Key Note: Musty
 Light Beer
 True Rain

Snuggles |Type*|
 Camay Soap |Type*|
 Agree Soap |Type*|
 Dark Rum |Type*|
 Brown Sugar

• Like 5

I've tried ALL of those! Let me know what you think! I helped create a few. Really interested in what you think about one of them....

Although. I will say, IMO some of the oils u listed did not smell accurate to me. And others are very accurate.

Edited by rctfavr3
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

very interesting.......are you making candles with them?

Out of curiosity, are you selling these to a special account/store that likes these things?

Yes, keep us informed.....

Trappeur

I'm making wax melts and perfumes with those that are skin safe. I'm blending them for a themed series. I promise to share if I can make it happen. I also promise to share if it's a disaster!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rctfavr3 said:

I've tried ALL of those! Let me know what you think! I helped create a few. Really interested in what you think about one of them....

Although. I will say, IMO some of the oils u listed did not smell accurate to me. And others are very accurate.

Oh, cool! I will!

I bought a wildly inaccurate scent from SoS and never went back. It was supposed to smell like Morrocanoil hair products. It did not. But, you never know when there might be a hidden gem!

Edited by glasllyn
Typo

1 hour ago, rctfavr3 said:

Well this is interesting!  You made fragrance oils? :)

Goldie

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, glasllyn said:

I'm making wax melts and perfumes with those that are skin safe. I'm blending them for a themed series. I promise to share if I can make it happen. I also promise to share if it's a disaster!

Good!   Do pictures!  WE all love pictures - good and bad!  WE have all been there believe me! lol

Trappeur

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rctfavr3 said:

Well sorta I offered them some blend suguestions and also shared some of my own formulas. I dabble but by no means am I perfumist but I do try various aroma chem blends.

I think coming up with a blend that isn't out there already and people love would be so satisfying/exciting.  I admire anyone who can do this. 

Goldie

• Like 1

I'm so interested to hear your thoughts on 1. Paper, 2. Library, and 3. Dusty Attic.  I have seen some candles sold that smell like old books, and I would love to make myself some.  That is one of my favorite smells.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ehatch1 said:

I'm so interested to hear your thoughts on 1. Paper, 2. Library, and 3. Dusty Attic.  I have seen some candles sold that smell like old books, and I would love to make myself some.  That is one of my favorite smells.

It's a thing right now. I think Demeter has been trying to replicate things like these, but they haven't nailed it yet.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

I LOVE the smell of gas when I'm filling the car.  Also love the smell of my garage.  Not sure I would want to smell one of them all day, though.  Well, maybe the garage. :laugh2:

Goldie

Goldie my dad just bought some of these to give out to his friends... they are all motorcycle guys and these candles smell JUST like the shop/garage when they're working on bikes.  It's ridiculous how accurate the scent is.  https://www.amazon.com/Klotz-Candle-Famous-Estorlin-Smell/dp/B01LXSC7MU

They might be up your alley ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

I LOVE the smell of gas when I'm filling the car.  Also love the smell of my garage.  Not sure I would want to smell one of them all day, though.  Well, maybe the garage. :laugh2:

Goldie

I love the smell of gas, too. 

Once upon a time, I was a mechanic. The chemicals never bothered me. I kind of liked them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ehatch1 said:

My opinion:  1 = OK  2 = Nope and 3 = Good

• Like 1

For anyone wanting to create a paper aged book smell you could start with Sandalwood.

Something like a heavy dose of sandalwood followed by a little bit of leather. This is your base. It should be fairly nondescript in aroma. You shouldn't really be able to pinpoint the leather or sandalwood. The right Leather FO makes the difference. You'll have to experiment. To that add Tonka Bean FO or Marzipan FO. You're wanting a powdery slightly almond aroma. Lastly add in drops (cause a little goes a long way) Fresh Cut Grass, VERY LITTLE! This is the secret ingredient. When paper deteriorates it releases this type of aroma. The trick is to add enough to smell but not so much that the overall composition smells "green".

And there you have it. Old Book aroma.

Back to SOS. Their Paper FO has a note that you'll likely recognize. That particular aroma is found in old paper but it's too obvious in this blend. You'll likely want to tame it if you plan on selling it as a fragrance. Oddly enough, combined with their Playdoh FO seems to make it smell pretty accurate.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, glasllyn said:

I just ordered these unusual scents from SoS as sniffies. I have no idea what to expect, but I can't find them elsewhere, so I figured it was worth a shot. If anyone is interested in hearing more about the resultant weirdness, I'll update.

Exhaust (Gas)
 Gasoline (Low Octane)
 Library
 Magazine
 Paper

Antique Shop
 Basement
 Beef Jerky
 Chalk (Sheetrock/Drywall)
 Dusty Attic

Pot Roast
 Toast (Buttered)
 Key Note: Musty
 Light Beer
 True Rain

Snuggles |Type*|
 Camay Soap |Type*|
 Agree Soap |Type*|
 Dark Rum |Type*|
 Brown Sugar

My favorite in this list. Pot Roast. It's so freaking accurate it'll make you hungry. It's a savory scent for sure. Right down to the beef broth and onions. Such an odd scent. Super strong. Beef Jerky is a good one too! Ah shoot. I said I wasn't going to say anything 'till after you got them. I can't wait to see what you think! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rctfavr3 said:

For anyone wanting to create a paper aged book smell you could start with Sandalwood.

Something like a heavy dose of sandalwood followed by a little bit of leather. This is your base. It should be fairly nondescript in aroma. You shouldn't really be able to pinpoint the leather or sandalwood. The right Leather FO makes the difference. You'll have to experiment. To that add Tonka Bean FO or Marzipan FO. You're wanting a powdery slightly almond aroma. Lastly add in drops (cause a little goes a long way) Fresh Cut Grass, VERY LITTLE! This is the secret ingredient. When paper deteriorates it releases this type of aroma. The trick is to add enough to smell but not so much that the overall composition smells "green".

And there you have it. Old Book aroma.

Back to SOS. Their Paper FO has a note that you'll likely recognize. That particular aroma is found in old paper but it's too obvious in this blend. You'll likely want to tame it if you plan on selling it as a fragrance. Oddly enough, combined with their Playdoh FO seems to make it smell pretty accurate.

Thanks for this! I've been experimenting with those elements. Grass does help. Sandalwood is a problem, because I find it difficult to find an accurate representation, and I'm not going to buy the real thing. It's like vanilla- so few FOs actually smell like vanilla, but so few people agree on what vanilla smells like, so you have to buy every vanilla on Earth to find "The One." 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 6:01 PM, GoldieMN said:

Goldie

OMG lol ! Your so funny :)