Wick Issues

Hi all, 

I have purchased a beautiful fragrance from our supplier and now I am testing with the full jar, I am struggling to find a suitable wick.  I am using IGI 4630 with 10% fragrance, and HTP wicks as recommended by IGI for their wax.

I am using a 4cm diameter jar double wicked.  when I use htp 73 the jar becomes very hot and it soots a little too much.  however when I drop to a HTP 63, the wicks are almost too small.  There is a small flame, a FMP but less fragrance throw.  Also I'm concerned about the wicks drowning.  Can anyone recommend on what else I can try.  

Not using this fragrance is not an option as I have 10 litres of it and it was very expensive.  And when I used the sample and tested in the smaller test quantity I didn't have an issue with the wick, but now its made in the full jar I seem to be having an issue. 

Anyhelp would be great, thanks all.

Natasha xx

Ooops - omg no not 4cm lol.  It is 4inches lol :lol:  I don't have pics on me at moment, will burn the smaller wick later and get a pic.  

The larger is certainly better for scent throw but it makes the wick mushroom and the jar is far too hot. 

Natasha :)

I just started playing with 4630, so I haven't done a lot of testing. One thing I could suggest is lowering your fragrance load. I've noticed that if I go over 7% fragrance in this wax, it smokes and soots a lot. So I've kept my testers at around 6% to 6.5% fragrance. I use straight-sided tumblers that are 3 inches in diameter, and so far I've had nice burns with HTP 73 and Eco 4 (still testing them, though, so that could change). I tested HTP 83 and 93, and while I didn't get mushrooms, both ended up sooting a lot toward the end of the burn.

The suppliers I buy wicks from don't carry the HTP 72, so I can't say how that one would work. If you test it, let us know because I'd be interested if there's much difference between it and the HTP 73.

Best I can suggest is lower the fragrance amount and then test again with two HTP 62s or 72s and see how it does.

• Like 3

According to notes I have collected regarding wicks, an HTP 73 is recommended for a 3" container by one source; 2.5-2.75" by another source; and up to 2" by another source.  My notes didn't include "72" from those sources.  Yet another source offered the following ...

Wick                      Flame Height (inches)     Pool Diameter (inches)

HTP – 62                        1.01                               1.60
HTP – 72                        1.03                               1.64
HTP – 73                        1.05                               1.67

It would seem that you're using the proper wick size in your doubled setting, except from the sources that say that size is for 2.5-3".  I see that this type of wax holds 1.5 ounces per pound.  I agree that there is probably a little more scent being used than should be.  Maybe HTP's aren't the best wick for your particular wax and scent ...?  LOL, sorry, I'm not much help here! 

Edited by birdcharm

Thank you for all your replies and assistance.  
i am just testing htp 72, so will let you know how it goes.  I love the igi 4630 wax as this is the best for scent throw.  I will try a lower rate of fragrance and see if that makes a difference.  That would certainly be great too, as the fragrance was very expensive, so if I can use less - BONUS!! 

Will keep you all posted with the 72 testing.  

thanks again x

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2017 at 11:49 AM, Natasha2106 said:

Thank you for all your replies and assistance.  
i am just testing htp 72, so will let you know how it goes.  I love the igi 4630 wax as this is the best for scent throw.  I will try a lower rate of fragrance and see if that makes a difference.  That would certainly be great too, as the fragrance was very expensive, so if I can use less - BONUS!! 

Will keep you all posted with the 72 testing.  

thanks again x

Hi Natasha ..how did you go with the HTP72's? I am having trouble with wicking large jars too. are you selling the ones using 4630? do people mind it being all paraffin? I have used it and love the scent throw too , but it does burn fast and hot. I blended it also ...60% 464 / 40% 4630. It came out a lovely creamy texture and so far the burn has been really smooth and no hangups. I just did EROMA's White Musk and it is just like the Body Shops' ... am really happy with it. Let me know how you get on with the double wicking. x  https://www.eroma.com.au/learning/guides/wicks/   here is Eroma's wick guide using soy waxes incl. HTP72

Edited by obsessed