Mad Oils move to AZ

Moonstar

46 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

:) BTW did you see Mad micas has a company 

in Arizona selling their oils now ? should be cheaper shipping for you. Wonder if their dupes of MO's or the real deal ? 

They are not dupes. They will be made from the same manufacturer, with same fragrance codes. I am not sure if MO is still going to be doing the quarterly sales since they are handing over the codes to this company for daily sales or not. 

But yes, I saw that. I don't use enough of their FO's on a consistent basis to make it worth it to worry about it. The only 3 I absolutely LOVE and will have a hard time replacing is their Dragon's Blood, Golden Embargo, and Snow Witch. But they are certainly 3 I can live without. 

• Like 1

They must be supplying some pretty big companies to be able to afford only selling in large quantities,  because there are very few small time crafters that buy more than a pound or two at a time.

I almost around Christmas time bought a bunch of samples to try, I'm glad now that I didn't.

• Like 1

The gave the codes to another company and stated on their FB page they will no longer be doing their quarterly sales.   I also know that Carrie at Nurture was duplicating several of their big sellers by request.  Carrie was doing it before it was released that MO was selling/giving them to another company.  I've never used any of their FO's though.

This right here is a prime example of why I never have any "MUST HAVE" fragrances from one supplier, no matter how reputable, big, or long that company has been in business. It's just not worth the struggle to find another one if they go out of business, stop carrying that scent, or stop carrying fragrances all together. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

This right here is a prime example of why I never have any "MUST HAVE" fragrances from one supplier, no matter how reputable, big, or long that company has been in business. It's just not worth the struggle to find another one if they go out of business, stop carrying that scent, or stop carrying fragrances all together. 

But this is what I have said before, as soon as something like this happens, some people are like well lets give the oils to this supplier and get them duped....what is to say the next company doesn't do something like this in time. I really think it is better to have a co op where the fragrance codes are held within the group so that everyone has access to them and this will not arise.

• Like 1

Dupes are never the same. Ever. 

I have learned painful lessons about supplier changes and either rotate in new things or invest in my own dupes. Duping is very expensive in the long run. There is not guarantee that the lab will keep small accounts like ours open, so we change paths as needed. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

That makes a lot of sense - but how does this work? Do you just make sure you can find scents that are comparable enough? Or do you just abandon the scent if it is no longer available? 

4 minutes ago, jbradshaw said:

That makes a lot of sense - but how does this work? Do you just make sure you can find scents that are comparable enough? Or do you just abandon the scent if it is no longer available? 

No, I just very rarely make the same scent twice. Most all of my loaves of soap and candles are made with scent mixes that I create, and I don't sell wholesale, so this works for me. I have a ton of repeat business too, so I don't worry about it. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

No, I just very rarely make the same scent twice. Most all of my loaves of soap and candles are made with scent mixes that I create, and I don't sell wholesale, so this works for me. I have a ton of repeat business too, so I don't worry about it. 

Oh wow - that's amazing! I'm a hobbyist and just started making candles last August so I'm not attached to any scents at this point, but I did wonder how one would deal with a scent being discontinued. Thanks for the insight :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mulberrysoap said:

But this is what I have said before, as soon as something like this happens, some people are like well lets give the oils to this supplier and get them duped....what is to say the next company doesn't do something like this in time. I really think it is better to have a co op where the fragrance codes are held within the group so that everyone has access to them and this will not arise.

Is this a real thing?  Are there co-ops out there? I'm very intrigued by this.  Can you lead me to a group like this?.  TIA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ktaggard said:

Is this a real thing?  Are there co-ops out there? I'm very intrigued by this.  Can you lead me to a group like this?.  TIA.

It could easily be a real thing, I have seen co-ops where kind soapers have given their tried and tested fragrance codes to 1 person to order fragrances for the group. I don't see why the same thing could not happen here.  

A few years back, a candle maker had a code for an excellent apple pie but didn't need 25lbs of it, that code could have been shared for the group here and co-op, so even if the fragrance house got sold, the new company could still produce the fragrance no problem.

That is sort of what I do with my dupes just on a very small scale right now. I have done this with other ingredients also such a surfactants and beauty chemicals.. I just offer them up to you and one other forum. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh my.    I missed this post in March.   I found the company online last night.   They are about 15 minutes from my office.  It's in an industrial park--nothing fancy.   However, this is going to be very, very dangerous and bad for me to have so nearby.  

I did limit my splurge to under $200, so it's all going to be okay.   Until the credit card bill is due.   Then I'll eat ramen for a week...but darn it, I'll have pretty bath bombs.

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2017 at 2:05 PM, Jcandleattic said:

They are not dupes. They will be made from the same manufacturer, with same fragrance codes. I am not sure if MO is still going to be doing the quarterly sales since they are handing over the codes to this company for daily sales or not. 

But yes, I saw that. I don't use enough of their FO's on a consistent basis to make it worth it to worry about it. The only 3 I absolutely LOVE and will have a hard time replacing is their Dragon's Blood, Golden Embargo, and Snow Witch. But they are certainly 3 I can live without. 

I know this is an old post. I just saw it. They do have the Golden Embargo still and the Snow Witch. I have the Golden Embargo I bought from a destash and it is amazing. Do t know why someone didn't want it. They are expensive but I think I will order from them soon lol I want Saucy Santa it sounds great.