Do any of you drive yourself insane with blends ??

WaxingPoetic

The biggest joy of candle making for me is blending scents. It is a passion of mine...but sometimes, I actually drive myself insane with it, lol.

My brain is always in ' blend, blend, blend ' mode and even if I am trying to relax, it always seems to be working overtime and involuntarily spitting out ideas at me.

I actually had a dream last night that I was blending like 35% Pink Sugar and 65% Vanilla Voodoo ( yes, I was measuring it out on my little scale in my dream lol ) and just poured it and it does smell amazing ! Can't wait for it to cure !

But geez...sometimes I wish I could switch it off and relax...is anyone else like this, or am I completely insane ??? 

Edited by WaxingPoetic
  • Like 2

I do it as well but I seem to have a hard time actually doing something about them 

I'm actually waiting for my wax to melt as I type and plan to get a butt load of sale product made and 1 dozen new scents and blends done to test....hopefully I don't get distracted and actually accomplish all this ?

Btw... pink sugar and cinnamon is an amazing blend....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I do it as well but I seem to have a hard time actually doing something about them 

I'm actually waiting for my wax to melt as I type and plan to get a butt load of sale product made and 1 dozen new scents and blends done to test....hopefully I don't get distracted and actually accomplish all this ?

Btw... pink sugar and cinnamon is an amazing blend....

Ohhhhh that does sound like an awesome blend, will need to try that, thank you ! Pink Sugar is one of my fave mixers, it is oddly amazing with Peppermint, lol. Also with blood orange & lime !

Oh heck yeah!  Some of my best blends come to me during the night, usually I wake up with one in my head.  Hardly ever actually sell the blends either, just keep them for me.  I'm going to try the pink sugar blends suggested here. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Oh heck yeah!  Some of my best blends come to me during the night, usually I wake up with one in my head.  Hardly ever actually sell the blends either, just keep them for me.  I'm going to try the pink sugar blends suggested here. 

I am very relieved to know that this happens to other people, lol ! I suppose there are worse things than coming up with great blends, eh ? 

Btw if you are playing with Pink Sugar soon, I also suggest maraschino cherry ! Another one that blends deliciously with it !

22 minutes ago, sandy511 said:

Who has the best Pink Sugar?

I have only tried two, to be honest. WSP, which I do not recommend, smells nothing like Pink Sugar. 

And The Candle Source, which is spot on and a great thrower for me, in palm and in soy. So I just kind of stick with TCS's now :)

58 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Same here, those blends sound great ?

17 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I use JS- best one for my wax (415) I have found but I'm going to get in on that co-op of TallTayls when it's available 

See, now you have me itching to try JS's Pink Sugar, lol. I just placed an order of two oils with them and I love them soooo much, I have been plotting another order since. Any other recs from JS ? :)

15 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I use JS- best one for my wax (415) I have found but I'm going to get in on that co-op of TallTayls when it's available 

Have you tried Indianas , it's pretty good ? did you get a sniffie of TT Pink Sugar or are you just going for it ? How much a lb ?

Just now, WaxingPoetic said:

See, now you have me itching to try JS's Pink Sugar, lol. I just placed an order of two oils with them and I love them soooo much, I have been plotting another order since. Any other recs from JS ? :)

Ok which 2 did you get that you like so much ??

I love blending things. If I get a bunch of samples and some are 'less than', I'll try to come up with mixtures to salvage them. It sometimes works. :) 

I also will mix samples of the same type together. Vanillas, lavenders thus far. I'm a hobbyist and don't need to find that perfect or consistent vanilla (etc) to please customers, so it works for me.

I love making 'blossom' scents. Lemon blossom, orange blossom, cherry, peach....   I use whatever fruit scent I have, then mix it with that inexpensive, overstock 'wildflower' that Aztec is selling. I quite like that. And the blends that I get are quite nice.

I did try blending a bourbon scent with wildflower and hated it. It's not horrible, but I just don't like booze scents. The silk purse did not emerge from the sow's ear.  I have a friend with no sense of smell. She burns candles and will like the color, lol.

I also like blending conifer scents. 'Bayberry', cedar, various firs. They all seem to go together well and I love 'em. 

I also like to add peach to things. I love my 'peach waffle' scent. :)

Lemon is a good mixer too. I made a delectable 'white peach' from peach/lemon/wildflower. 2:1:2.  Very appealing.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Incendia said:

I love blending things. If I get a bunch of samples and some are 'less than', I'll try to come up with mixtures to salvage them. It sometimes works. :) 

I also will mix samples of the same type together. Vanillas, lavenders thus far. I'm a hobbyist and don't need to find that perfect or consistent vanilla (etc) to please customers, so it works for me.

I love making 'blossom' scents. Lemon blossom, orange blossom, cherry, peach....   I use whatever fruit scent I have, then mix it with that inexpensive, overstock 'wildflower' that Aztec is selling. I quite like that. And the blends that I get are quite nice.

I did try blending a bourbon scent with wildflower and hated it. It's not horrible, but I just don't like booze scents. The silk purse did not emerge from the sow's ear.  I have a friend with no sense of smell. She burns candles and will like the color, lol.

I also like blending conifer scents. 'Bayberry', cedar, various firs. They all seem to go together well and I love 'em. 

Lemon is a good mixer too. I made a delectable 'white peach' from peach/lemon/wildflower. 2:1:2.  Very appealing.  

The peach waffle sounds great !

so does the lemon ? wildflower which lemon and wildflower did you try? 

Your good at this ?

Edited by Moonstar

24 minutes ago, Incendia said:

Peach Waffle sounds decadent !! Lemon definitely is a great mixer, if you love sweet scents, blend a lemon curd oil with WSP Cake Batter Ice cream and Daystar's Marshmallow Fluff....lemony heaven, I swear....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

how is blue cotton candy different from a regular one ?

It has a slight blue raspberry/ grape note....my brother was amazed when I had him sniff it, he was like ' You know, I wouldn't think that there was a difference, but this does really smell more like blue cotton candy ' lol.

I plan on layering it in a candle and melts with regular cotton candy soon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

The peach waffle sounds great !

so does the lemon ? wildflower which lemon and wildflower did you try? 

Your good at this ?

Thanks. :)

I do like the toned-down 'peach waffle'. The Full Waffle is a bit too intense for my naïve sense of smell.

For the 'white peach', I used Flaming's Lemon Verbena (nice and clean and lemony) and the wildflower is the Aztec 'Wildflower' in their close-out section. A good deal at $20 for 2 pounds, plus shipping.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WaxingPoetic said:

I have only tried two, to be honest. WSP, which I do not recommend, smells nothing like Pink Sugar. 

And The Candle Source, which is spot on and a great thrower for me, in palm and in soy. So I just kind of stick with TCS's now :)

I don't want to sabotage this post, but I just saw the prices for TCS FOs and they're so inexpensive! Would anyone mind sharing their favorite oils from them? 

I also need a coconut. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2017 at 1:59 PM, WaxingPoetic said:

The biggest joy of candle making for me is blending scents. It is a passion of mine...but sometimes, I actually drive myself insane with it, lol.

My brain is always in ' blend, blend, blend ' mode and even if I am trying to relax, it always seems to be working overtime and involuntarily spitting out ideas at me.

I actually had a dream last night that I was blending like 35% Pink Sugar and 65% Vanilla Voodoo ( yes, I was measuring it out on my little scale in my dream lol ) and just poured it and it does smell amazing ! Can't wait for it to cure !

But geez...sometimes I wish I could switch it off and relax...is anyone else like this, or am I completely insane ??? 

Oh, and yes. All of this. All. The. Time. Let me know if you need an intervention. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, WaxingPoetic said:

Peach Waffle sounds decadent !! Lemon definitely is a great mixer, if you love sweet scents, blend a lemon curd oil with WSP Cake Batter Ice cream and Daystar's Marshmallow Fluff....lemony heaven, I swear....

Oh my goodness sounds relish lol ! what ratios do you use ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glasllyn said:

I don't want to sabotage this post, but I just saw the prices for TCS FOs and they're so inexpensive! Would anyone mind sharing their favorite oils from them? 

I also need a coconut. 

Try coconut cream from the chemistry store - vanilla cream is also good :)