Chalk painted masons

moonshine

WOW !!!! These are gorgeous and the brick wall is beautiful. Perfect backdrop for the mason jars. What colors + brand of paint did you use ?

Ive been feeling like a total slacker lately so this is so inspiring ! Did you get that crazy rain + hail yesterday. Around 3:30 yesterday, right as I

was leaving to pick up my son, naturally, It started pouring like crazy with insane wind + hail hitting my car lol ! I felt like Dorothy in OZ lol ! 

Edited by Moonstar

I used Americana decor in lace and restore and for the mid tone one I mixed the 2 together - they didn't have much choices at hobby lobby and I like the tans and creams vs. colors for these and after sanding them I used their wax coating and buffed them out 

last night I tried a different approach and bought krylon spray chalky paint in 3 different colors to do my large masons and they turned out fabulous - I need to sand them today and spray them with their clear wax and hopefully it's as easy to sand because it went on so much better sprayed as opposed to brushing, you can see the brush marks in the ones I posted which isn't bad but I like the spray look better 

I then sprayed the lids for the large masons in a rustic copper but honestly I think I will be putting the maxi tealights in these and not use lids....these jars are stunning lit up at night glowing more through the sanded areas 

we didn't get much here at all for weather - it got real dark and rained a little but no high Winds and certainly no tornado 

I fed the horses around 8 last night and it was doing nothing and drive to Fenton and it rained a little there 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone - I am very in love with these....but my large ones I did with the spray chalk----???my husband helped me out and did 3 coats....I cannot sand this stuff off!

need to go to the store today and get some serious grit paper or an electric sander ?

• Like 1

Chalk painting Mason jars and then sanding them when dry to give a distressed look

I have seen many on Pinterest and have been wanting to try it - most people on Pinterest anyways display them with flowers but being a chandler I thought I would put a tea light in there and see what happened and well...beautiful glowing old rustic jars happened that I am now obsessed with ?

My daughter just told me I can't have all Mason jar decor in the house ???

• Like 1

Just beautiful the wall is Moonshine!  And the canning jars and lantern just complete the look...Love the horse picture also.  I just love those lantern covers......

I have a fetish for old lanterns and have so many in the shack I you have made me wanting to go down and get them out and bring them to the house.  Boy that stone wall is a beautiful focal point!

Trappeur

On 2/26/2017 at 4:51 PM, moonshine said:

Chalk painting Mason jars and then sanding them when dry to give a distressed look

I have seen many on Pinterest and have been wanting to try it - most people on Pinterest anyways display them with flowers but being a chandler I thought I would put a tea light in there and see what happened and well...beautiful glowing old rustic jars happened that I am now obsessed with ?

My daughter just told me I can't have all Mason jar decor in the house ???

Thank you! I imagine I'll say I'm going to make one of these someday. And then the idea will fade away after a short time. They are so beautiful!

I love that color!

are you using 220 sand paper?  I found that works best although on my large ones it took the coarsest they had Being sprayed rather than painted with a brush? And my hands are still numb...

It looks great just get those letters really buffed off and a few swipes around the top and bottom to really make them glow and flicker the light 

? how exciting - get them tested and let us know how they do, I still have not repoured mine with a reliable oil but hopefully this weekend 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I love that color!

are you using 220 sand paper?  I found that works best although on my large ones it took the coarsest they had Being sprayed rather than painted with a brush? And my hands are still numb...

It looks great just get those letters really buffed off and a few swipes around the top and bottom to really make them glow and flicker the light 

? how exciting - get them tested and let us know how they do, I still have not repoured mine with a reliable oil but hopefully this weekend 

Thanks. It's spray paint and I only had fine and extra fine sandpaper so I used the fine. I'm anxious to get it wicked and start testing now. ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, KrazeKelly said:

Well, I finally found the perfect wick for these. ? It ended up being LX-12. They hold 3 1/2 oz, probably could do 4 but I didn't. Really love how they turned out. So I ordered a bunch more jars. ?

IMG_6216.JPG

Love your jars! I've never seen them. Mind sharing where you got them?

• Like 3