Latest Projects (Aside from Candles)

ehatch1

Today I thought I would share some of my latest projects, other than the normal candle stuff.  I needed a sign for my booth at an upcoming festival, so I finished that this week (Vieve Designs).  The rest are some other items I've been working on.  So, this is what I do with my free time.  I have fun with it :) 

Any of you guys make stuff aside from soaps/candles?  I thought I saw some pottery/jewelry on here...

IMG_0042.jpgIMG_0057.jpgIMG_0076.jpgIMG_9981.jpgIMG_7062.jpg

• Like 5

Great pieces!  I've got a sale coming up right before Mother's Day.  Just started getting in gear, today, as we finally got in the high 50's, and I could spray paint my candle jars outside.  I paint and make all kinds of things.  Candlemaking has put my painting on a backseat, but you can see my painted windows on Picturetrail if interested.   http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/227338  If you need to enter my ID, it is GoldieMN.

When is your first show?

GoldieMN

• Like 1

Ok Goldie those are some awesome paintings!  I especially love the one with the butterfly/purple flowers and the bluebird.  BTW I didn't need your ID, but thanks :)

I've done a couple of small festivals back in when I lived in Cali; didn't sell candles, just the wood artwork.  The one coming up is April 8th.  Not sure what kind of a turn out there will be since this is a small town, but you never know.  Plus side: the town is so small that usually any event has a pretty decent turn out (because there's nothing else to do!)

• Like 1

Thank you :).

Early April sale should be good as people are already itching to get out and shop for "spring".  Primitive, rustic, repurposed are all popular around here.  Your creations should do very well!  We have about 26,000 people in Winona.  My challenge is to make candles that stand out from all the others in the area; inch my way into the market.  

Here's to a great sale *drunkenposting*!

Goldie

Such beautiful paintings on the window frames Goldie!!! Love them all!  I used to do quite well when I had my store and sold these works of art.  I had an artist friend who used to do what you do.  I especially loved finding old chipped up window panes in antique stores or yard sales.  One time I found a bunch of them at the dump someone threw away.  It was like I found a pot of gold when I saw them sitting in a heap.  I took them and gave them to my friend and she did all different things like you.  Matter of fact I think I still have some of them in my little shack these old window panes.  I always thought I would find a use for the panes so they sit there getting older by the minute.  I also have a fetish for old shutters and have quite a collection of them too, in great shape in all different colors, all flaked, all different sizes...but most of them pretty big like 5 feet tall.  One day I'll figure out what to do with them too.  

Trappeur

• Like 1

Thanks, Trappeur!  Yes, the addiction to saving anything old can be dangerous if you can't let go. Ha!  I got my hands on some really tall, paned windows years ago and stored them in my garage.  Last year, someone threw a rock through my shop's double window; so those tall windows were used to replace.  Now I love just staring at it. :)  As for the shutters, yes, I save those too.  One of these days, I will find a picture of different shutters used on a window that I saved.  You would think I would have saved it with the word "shutters". lol

Goldie

Thanks for the support, @GoldieMN!  Cheers and best of luck on your sales as well!  @Trappeur I myself have two antique windows sitting on my back porch waiting to be restored... will try to get to them tomorrow or maybe early this week.  My plan is to sand them down, repaint them, and distress slightly to use as a backdrop for my festival booth.  Shutters would be perfect for that too!  I am trying to keep myself from going antique shopping... like I really need more stuff. Lol.

Ehatch those are very nice....

I have never worked with wood in my life and we are at the point where we need to update the inside of our home - built 19 years ago and everything but the paint is original in here 

we have a mason that is installing ledgestone on our fireplace up to the ceiling and a barn beam mantle and we are having him do a wall that is inbetween our kitchen and living room- it's a weird wall that doesn't go all the way across you can walk thru on both sides and it only goes up about 8 feet and then there are poles that connect to the ceiling (cathedral) so they are uneven and we can't brick all the way up....so he is making a shelf to sit on top of that wall and then boxing the poles in with ruff sawn pine to make it look more like beams....I need to sand some spots and stain it and have no clue what I am doing ?

Then before carpet and paint and counter tops I want to stain all my kitchen and bath cabinets- they are excellent quality and I won't pay and can't pay  30 grand to replace them but they are all the honey oak color that was so popular when we built....I have been researching this because again I have never worked with refinishing wood at all and so far I see General finish java gel stain looks the easiest to tackle and I like the dark look it gives without looking outdated at all or simply painted 

any advice for me ?

On 2/17/2017 at 7:09 PM, ehatch1 said:

Today I thought I would share some of my latest projects, other than the normal candle stuff.  I needed a sign for my booth at an upcoming festival, so I finished that this week (Vieve Designs).  The rest are some other items I've been working on.  So, this is what I do with my free time.  I have fun with it :) 

Any of you guys make stuff aside from soaps/candles?  I thought I saw some pottery/jewelry on here...

IMG_0042.jpgIMG_0057.jpgIMG_0076.jpgIMG_9981.jpgIMG_7062.jpg

Your signs are just beautiful Hatch.....You do beautiful work!

Love your website also.  Very professional......Beautiful job!

Thankyou for sharing.

Trappeur

4 hours ago, moonshine said:

Ehatch those are very nice....

I have never worked with wood in my life and we are at the point where we need to update the inside of our home - built 19 years ago and everything but the paint is original in here 

we have a mason that is installing ledgestone on our fireplace up to the ceiling and a barn beam mantle and we are having him do a wall that is inbetween our kitchen and living room- it's a weird wall that doesn't go all the way across you can walk thru on both sides and it only goes up about 8 feet and then there are poles that connect to the ceiling (cathedral) so they are uneven and we can't brick all the way up....so he is making a shelf to sit on top of that wall and then boxing the poles in with ruff sawn pine to make it look more like beams....I need to sand some spots and stain it and have no clue what I am doing ?

Then before carpet and paint and counter tops I want to stain all my kitchen and bath cabinets- they are excellent quality and I won't pay and can't pay  30 grand to replace them but they are all the honey oak color that was so popular when we built....I have been researching this because again I have never worked with refinishing wood at all and so far I see General finish java gel stain looks the easiest to tackle and I like the dark look it gives without looking outdated at all or simply painted 

any advice for me ?

Thank you :)  Your fireplace is gorgeous!  It looks so much warmer and inviting.  That half wall sure is different, but with the rock and faux beams it will look like a really cool architectural feature when it's done.   Neat!  All I can say about staining is that it's easiest for me to use a cotton rag, dip in the stain and lightly wipe back in forth, like you're rubbing it in with the wood grain.  Let is sit for a couple of minutes, get a clean rag, and wipe the excess off (if you let it sit too long it gets tacky and is a total pain in the rear).  Usually you have to make sure you sand absolutely all of the old laquer off the cabinets before you can try to stain, otherwise it will look splotchy and uneven.  

I highly recommend the General Finishes brand.  I used it to finish this chair I refurbished last year.  I haven't used the stain, as I had a can of Minwax stain laying around, but I did use the wipe-on poly top coat in satin finish.  Especially easy to work with, just use a rag to wipe it on in a thin coat and leave it, sand between layers.   The finish turned out so nice and smooth.  A+ product there.  Note: bonus pic with my pups. :D

IMG_6797.JPGIMG_6796.JPG

BeforeAfterChair.jpg    Pups&Chair.JPG

Edited by ehatch1
  • Like 1

Adorable pups! 

Thanks for the advice and I'm glad I picked general finish.....let's hope I don't screw this up ? Or home equity loan here I come ?

I will start with the wood they are going to box in around the poles before they put it up to see how this goes....wish me luck ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Adorable pups! 

Thanks for the advice and I'm glad I picked general finish.....let's hope I don't screw this up ? Or home equity loan here I come ?

I will start with the wood they are going to box in around the poles before they put it up to see how this goes....wish me luck ?

Looks great!  Please post final look as well. :)

Goldie

Got my boards stained ??

and my husband then proceeded to bang them up and I put more stain in the nail holes to make it look real rustic 

I am pretty proud of the turn out now hopefully they get installed on the walls tomorrow and I can post a picture

bottom one is before taking tools to it 

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

Thanks Goldie.....no sanding at all and only 1 coat of stain and I ragged it off super fast afraid it would be too dark 

the other side is smooth and I love the grain and knots pine has but we wanted more rustic so we are using the rough sawn side 

my basement living room is all pine walls clear coated and now I'm thinking.....stain ???

found a new hobby 

Wall finished finally! Now for a 12 hour clean up 

the boards look fantastic up there, I'm going to put my chalk painted masons on the shelf and and a couple old lanterns....I decided this was enough for me?

After I do all my cabinets and kitchen I will be all stained out and never want to touch it again sonthe basement stays natural 

IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6342.JPG