What do you master batch your lye in?

Candybee

Looking for ideas for large containers for lye masterbatching. Preferably larger than a gallon size jug.

I am currently looking at an empty plastic cat litter container that holds 20 lbs but the reading on the bottom says its an HDPE with a rating of 2. Don't think that is high enough, or is it? I think it has to be 4 ot 5 or higher? Please help.

So what do you use for larger than a gallon jug?

I mix mine in a big bucket and then transfer to a liquid laundry soap container that I washed out very well, ran through a dishwasher and rinsed with vinegar. I have no need for anything bigger than that. If I did, I would just use a few of the laundry containers. 

• 4 weeks later...

The 2 1/2 gallon carboy I bought I am hesitant to use. I am testing it out as a water holder in my fridge. The good news is that this one is seriously drip proof! Yay!!!! Unfortunately the spigot moves back and forth from left to right and that could spell disaster if it moves while I am getting lye. I have had water drip from the spigot moving over.... Sigh...

A gallon jug isn't big enough so I am still on the lookout. Maybe its just this particular model carboy, or maybe there is a way to fix the spigot so it won't turn sideways.. IDK... will keep looking for the answer.

How about a spigot on a pail like beverage bottlers use? 

Or use a big thermos jug with a spigot? Those go up to several gallons and are pretty drip proof. 

ETA, this for example. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-Insulated-Beverage-Container-Water-Cooler-Orange-5-Gallon/19305706

Carboys are so flimsy I would skip those. One accidental drop and poof you can have lye everywhere. 

• Like 1

Now that is actually a good idea. Thanks TT.

I am using rubbermaid products for soapmaking so I know it should hold up to lye. I also like the heavy duty handles and large mouth opening. This could be a huge time savor. I'll wait until there is a sale at Walmart and pick one up.

Edited by Candybee

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/2017 at 1:42 PM, Candybee said:

The 2 1/2 gallon carboy I bought I am hesitant to use. I am testing it out as a water holder in my fridge. The good news is that this one is seriously drip proof! Yay!!!! Unfortunately the spigot moves back and forth from left to right and that could spell disaster if it moves while I am getting lye. I have had water drip from the spigot moving over.... Sigh...

A gallon jug isn't big enough so I am still on the lookout. Maybe its just this particular model carboy, or maybe there is a way to fix the spigot so it won't turn sideways.. IDK... will keep looking for the answer.

Is there anyway you could maybe glue it so that it doesnt swivel?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scrubzz said:

Is there anyway you could maybe glue it so that it doesnt swivel?

I decided not to use the carboy. I am still using a heavy duty gallon jug that has been working for me just fine. It ends up that I am not master batching more than a gallon of lye solution at a time anyway so for now its all good.

But I did save a few of the 20lb empty plastic cat litter containers. They work perfect for master batching oils. The handle and the spout makes it easy to pour out my oils. But the best part is I make soap on the go at markets and soap demos I do so I needed a container I could fill and take on the go with me. These Tidy Cat litter containers work perfect! I love it when I can recycle stuff and put it to good use! I have alread done several soap making demos on the go using these portable master oil batch containers. Makes my life so much easier!

On 5/27/2018 at 6:23 PM, Candybee said:

I decided not to use the carboy. I am still using a heavy duty gallon jug that has been working for me just fine. It ends up that I am not master batching more than a gallon of lye solution at a time anyway so for now its all good.

But I did save a few of the 20lb empty plastic cat litter containers. They work perfect for master batching oils. The handle and the spout makes it easy to pour out my oils. But the best part is I make soap on the go at markets and soap demos I do so I needed a container I could fill and take on the go with me. These Tidy Cat litter containers work perfect! I love it when I can recycle stuff and put it to good use! I have alread done several soap making demos on the go using these portable master oil batch containers. Makes my life so much easier!

SOOOOO... Along these lines, would anyone here object to the using of say empty janitorial containers for storing master batched fats or lye, like floor cleaning solution empties, or toilet bowl cleaner empties? 

(I'm just ask'n...) 

11 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

SOOOOO... Along these lines, would anyone here object to the using of say empty janitorial containers for storing master batched fats or lye, like floor cleaning solution empties, or toilet bowl cleaner empties? 

(I'm just ask'n...) 

Containers that hold harsh chemicals work great for master batching lye. You already know the container will stand up to the chemicals. As long as its easy to use, easy to pour, and the lid/cap closes tight and secure I don't see why not. Some caps have paper liners so I would check for that and pull it out. You could do a trial batch and see how you like using the container.

I started using empty Arizona Tea gallon jugs. They are heavy duty plastic, clear so I can see how much solution is in the container, they have a handle and a top that works like a spout with a plastic cap. Been using the Arizona tea jugs for a year now and they work great.

In between uses I do rinse out the jug, let it dry, and store until I reuse again.

Having a cat makes it easy to collect empty kitty litter containers. As I posted earlier I am using the large 20 lb empties to master batch oils. Its just large enough I can master batch at least 14 -16 lbs of oil, just enough for me to do several batches. Actually, I think they can hold up to 20 lbs but I only fill them with 14 lbs at a time due to the oil size batches I make. The containers have a handle and a kind of top that is easy to pour from. They are large enough for several batches without being too heavy to handle. Makes them perfect for doing my soap demos away from home. Well, I also use them at home. I saved several containers so I generally fill all of them then pull out one of the filled container on soaping days.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1