2017 Soap of the Month Sign Up

Candybee

CALLING ALL SOAPERS!!

We need more volunteers to keep the SOTM going. If you have a recipe or soap technique you would like to share please sign up for any month that is blank. Please don't let this wonderful resource disappear. Thanks!!

CURRENT LIST UPDATED 3/26/17:

January - Jcandleattic (Liquid soap)

February - Candybee (OMH w/Aloe soap)

March - Debratant

April - Talltayl (multi color in the pot swirl)

May - Debratant

June - Candybee (Botanical Acne Soap)

July -

August -

September -

October -

November -

December -

January -

February -

March -

Edited by Candybee

• Candybee pinned and featured this topic

I'm wondering if we should have this be open to more than soap?  What about lotion or scrubs, bath bombs etc???

Just trying to get ideas to get more peoples involved!  We could call it....Product of the Month or some such?

I will be doing March...though not sure the piping I planned is going to work out.  I may have

to come up with a plan B.  I intended to make a test run, and just haven't had the time.  

I will think of something LOL

• Like 1

I love the idea as I have some B&B recipes I could add myself. I do a kickbutt bug repellent spray and dog paw pad butter balm.

I put the question to Talltayl. She is mulling it over. We currently have a B&B recipe section so if we are going to combine them or keep them seperate this must be decided as she would have to coordinate and arrange the forums.

If anyone has ideas on how you would like to see the forums arranged for soap, B&B, and recipes please post them!

In the meantime the SOTM thread will remain a soap recipe thread for now.

Edited by Candybee

On 2/21/2017 at 0:22 PM, Jcandleattic said:

I could do a tutorial on whipped soap. My tutorials are more about technique than they are recipe's though. So when/if we do something other than recipe tutorials, I'll go in again 

A soap technique could go into the SOTM thread. It still pertains to soap and whether you have a particular recipe you use for that or know that you can use any recipe for that you could still do a tut on it.

That's what I did with my OMH. The soap has nothing to do with the recipe-- you can use any recipe. Its the additives that make it an OMH soap. So I just put in a basic recipe and used that as my SOTM.

I think a whipped soap would be awesome. Are you talking about a soap that floats in the bathtub? I always wanted to learn how to make that.

Edited by Candybee

If you are doing a soap technique you can skip over the recipe and just do the tut on the technique. Just make it clear if you need a particular recipe or that any recipe can be used. That can be your starting point, then go directly to the technique.

I was hoping we would get some swirling techniques in the SOTM thread along with different kinds of soaping techniques; cream soaps, transparent soaps, marbled soaps, layered soap, making embeds, soap piping, making soap decor like florettes or leaves to go on top, etc. There are all kinds of possibilities.

If you have an idea about a soap tut you would like to add and aren't sure about it just ask.

Edited by Candybee

9 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

Or I could do a double extraction method for an arthritis salve, a really good one contains Marijuana which is still illegal in some places tho. 

Feel free to laugh at that. 

yes yes and yes lol ! Ive heard its excellent for arthritis - do you find this to be true ? 

• Like 1

I can fill in a few soap of the month articles. I think a recipe of the month area will be fun, I just need to be mindful of organizing them so we can find recipes easily. 

I'd like to try making a page like an index that lists links to various articles. The main navigation menu of these forums is pretty long and hard to navigate. What do you think?

Would there be a way to sort out types of recipes? Would you be including any articles unrelated to recipes in the list? I would hate to scroll down a long list if I was just looking for a bath bomb recipe or how to make a marbled pillar. Sometimes using 'search' turns out more than you want or not what you are looking for.

On 2/22/2017 at 6:58 PM, Moonstar said:

yes yes and yes lol ! Ive heard its excellent for arthritis - do you find this to be true ? 

Yes! It is wonderful! My mom uses it. And she has very bad arthritis in her hands and spine. I am so greatful for this plant. 

• Like 1

January Jcandleattic (Liquid soap)

February Candybee (OMH w/Aloe soap)

March  Debratant

April    

May     Debratant

June Candybee (Summer Acne Soap)

July

August

September

October

November

December

January

February

March

I will do May again, probably another technique tutorial

• Like 2

Thanks Debratant for signing up again! We love, love, love your soap recipes!

Okay.. We still need someone for the month of April!

... and of course July through December. Any volunteers? Come on, take the challenge! Its easier than you think and can be a lot of fun!

On 3/2/2017 at 7:50 PM, debratant said:

January Jcandleattic (Liquid soap)

February Candybee (OMH w/Aloe soap)

March  Debratant

April    TallTayl (multi color in the pot swirl)

May     Debratant

June Candybee (Summer Acne Soap)

July

August

September

October

November

December

January

February

March

I will do May again, probably another technique tutorial

• Like 1

Yesterday I just made my first batch of liquid soap. I think I did everything wrong. So it occurred to me this morning another good tut could be one on troubleshooting. Could be on CP, HP, liquid, cream, any kind of soapmaking would be helpful or some of each.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nadiadee said:

I am so tempted to participate! Except, I am drawing up an absolute blank as to what to do.....

Send help!! 

Tell us what kind of soap you make or what your favorite soap to make is and I'm sure we can figure out what you could do. :)

1 minute ago, Candybee said:

Yesterday I just made my first batch of liquid soap. I think I did everything wrong. So it occurred to me this morning another good tut could be one on troubleshooting. Could be on CP, HP, liquid, cream, any kind of soapmaking would be helpful or some of each.

:) You didn't. I read your PM's and just answered one. I think you just needed some patience. :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

:) You didn't. I read your PM's and just answered one. I think you just needed some patience. :)

Thanks. I read your answer and am reassured everything should be okay.

I still think that if we had a troubleshooting thread for soapmaking it could be a good reference to have on hand.

6 hours ago, Candybee said:

Thanks. I read your answer and am reassured everything should be okay.

I still think that if we had a troubleshooting thread for soapmaking it could be a good reference to have on hand.

Troubleshooting, like what instances? Ricing? Seizing?