I might not be a Chippendale BUT...

Sponiebr

I might not be a Chippendale, but I'll betctha look... 

Black Raspberry Vanilla yogurt and aloe in a (finally) CP test batch. Green and Purple mica with TD for the white, all in an experimental permanent mold liner (the loaf mold is a break down mold). 

Been throught the swamp with my soap with no name.jpg

You'll have to wait for the cut... :biggrin:

Cheers! 

Sponiebr 

Edited by Sponiebr
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

I might not be a Chippendale, but I'll betctha look... 

Black Raspberry Vanilla yogurt and aloe in a (finally) CP test batch. Green and Purple mica with TD for the white, all in an experimental permanent mold liner (the loaf mold is a break down mold). 

Been throught the swamp with my soap with no name.jpg

You'll have to wait for the cut... :biggrin:

Cheers! 

Sponiebr 

?Why am I not surprised your into Family Guy ! Soap looks great 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

What did you use for the liner?

I used some Elmer's spray adhesive and attached some Dollar Tree craft foam sheets to it. It worked, but not well. I think if the mold were lined with that foam and attached to the mold with something like double sided Scotch tape it would work VERY well. That way when you unmolded the loaf the foam would come out of the box stuck to the log and you could peel the foam off. In that manner the foam would be wonderful, but "permanently" attached to the mold, not so much. Still... by the Grace of God I got it out with barely a smudge. The sides came off without too much complaint, but the bottom was a little more funner... 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

You could try using a dab of Vaseline to stick the foam to the sides. 

Once I figure out how to cut this 0.1" black high density polyethylene that is what I will do... just stick temporarily to the mold frame. 

Vaseline... Wait, where you the one that had posted about the self adhesive foam sheets? Seems to me like this info in buried in the archives? 

HDPE... Well, if it were me, and as it usually IS me there are several ways to cut the HDPE, but only 1 clean way. If you cut it with a band saw it fuzzes up the edges real good, and you have to use a knife or another scraper like tool to deburr the edges. For a square edge you can use a plastic cutter. BUT you HAVE TO use a HARD straight edge and clamp it securely to the work. HDPE is so damned soft that if you try to use a plastic cutter on that the cutter will wander and you'll never get it back on track again. A plastic cutter will leave you with a clean edge though. 3/32" isn't super thick, so a utility knife could even be conceivably used, it's just getting a straight cut that's hard. My dad uses a table saw for the 3/8" stuff he uses. How much of this stuff do you need to cut? 

This is the type of plastic cutter I'm talking about: https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p/plastic-acrylic-cutting-knife-p737611?cid=ppc_all_gl_pfd_Shop|HDSS|US&gclid=CPmKo-_tidICFcaEswodl38MTA

Well you've all been waiting for it... Call me X! 

"Uh... Uh...
X gonna give it to ya!
He's gonna give it to ya!
X gonna give it to ya!
He's gonna give it to ya!

First we gonna... (SOAP!) 

Then we gonna (MOLD!)

Then we gonna (CUT!) 

SOLD sucka! SOLD!!!! "  <.< 

486863_3742283681095_2001263770_n.jpg.274d0a8ce8d635d57c6bc3cc1f3d284e.jpg 

16603057_10158179802310263_7252423999234114013_n.jpg

16684190_10158179802300263_1883828507546853639_n.jpg

2e2KllH.jpg

:biggrin:

• Like 3

Really nice ... this is the type of stuff that is lighting my fire to learn soap.  I keep reading, studying, and one day, I'll jump in.  I don't know why, but that mold looks like a doll-sized waterbed without the mattress and just the liner!

Great color combo and nice marbling effect.  I want to learn to make soap!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Vaseline... Wait, where you the one that had posted about the self adhesive foam sheets? Seems to me like this info in buried in the archives? 

HDPE... Well, if it were me, and as it usually IS me there are several ways to cut the HDPE, but only 1 clean way. 

This is the type of plastic cutter I'm talking about: https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p/plastic-acrylic-cutting-knife-p737611?cid=ppc_all_gl_pfd_Shop|HDSS|US&gclid=CPmKo-_tidICFcaEswodl38MTA

I have that tool and it didn't work worth a darn.

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Really? Are you dragging the back shoulder of the barb or are you using it like a knife? HDPE does squirm a bit, but i really haven't ever had too much of an issue cutting it. I mean it IS HDPE which is a PITA. Dad uses the table saw because he has hundreds of plates to make and he just can't cut the plates individually at that level of production. I think he then just uses a hand held wire brush to deburr them. 

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I talked to dad about the HDPE, at your thickness of 0.1" he suggested a 0 offset extra fine woodworking blade for a table saw but, to put a sheet of something (plywood or whatever) over the material so that there isn't any burr formation. The plastic cutter can work but you have to hone the scraping edge super sharp and super square, but even so it won't produce long curls like in other plastics. He also said just a regular brand new super sharp utility blade could be used to cut the material over the course of several cuts along the same line going deeper each time.

HTH,

Sponiebr    

• Like 1