Fire Starters

ehatch1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

you all got me wanting to make some for personal use and for family. 

Any good "recipes" anyone willing to share? Ha

I make mine using pine wood shavings ($2.50 ish a bag at Walmart) and my left over wax from melts, tester jars, etc.  I line muffin tins with cupcake liners, pack with the pine shavings and pour the wax over them to fill.  No wick or anything.  Super cheap, and a great way to use up that left over wax.  They burn for 25-30 minutes. I save all my left over wax in metal coffee cans and try to keep the scent types together...bakery, clean, woodsy, etc.  

Edited by bfroberts
  • Like 2

Mine are completely recycled, super cheap and not at all pretty :) I also save leftover wax in a coffee can, but everything goes in the same one.  I save  paper towels that I've used to wipe the pour pots, cardboard(ish) egg cartons, and extra wick trimmings.  When its time to make them I melt the wax in an old crock pot.  I tear up the paper towels and toss into the egg cartons, then pour the wax in.  When wax starts to harden I stick bits of wick up all over.  Some of the paper toweling is sticking up out of the wax too.  When completely hardened I cut apart the egg cartons and they are ready to go.

Edited by franu61
  • Like 2

@wthomas57 I just put paper cucpcake liners in a muffin pan, find pinecones in the yard, and pour my leftover candle wax over the cone into the liner.  Bits of dry twigs/moss would be good, too. For the fancier ones, I sprinkled a little dry rosemary on top and added a piece of cinnamon stick to each, for looks.  

• Like 1

They are fun to make and I do tons of them and sell them.  I use horse shavings and pour wax over the shavings and then from found in the forest here I put in twigs, birchbark, moss, pinecones, acorns, bark fallen of dead trees and whatever else I can find in the woods.  

You can add potpourri to for being more fancy.

Here are a few pictures.

Trappeur

CIMG1962.JPG

CIMG7817.jpg

CIMG1995.JPG

CIMG1990.JPG

CIMG1996.JPG

• Like 7

Those are cool, thanks for sharing. Does wick type matter and do they really get burning pretty well? Enough to really be a fire starter?

Since you sell a lot, do they have descent shelf life? Do you use harder pillar type waxes?

15 hours ago, Trappeur said:

They are fun to make and I do tons of them and sell them.  I use horse shavings and pour wax over the shavings and then from found in the forest here I put in twigs, birchbark, moss, pinecones, acorns, bark fallen of dead trees and whatever else I can find in the woods.  

You can add potpourri to for being more fancy.

Here are a few pictures.

Trappeur

Yeah, mine are no where near this fancy. LOL I don't bother with pics of mine because they are made for function, not aesthetics. 

However, I would buy one of yours in a heartbeat, just to use as a centerpiece in the camper!! 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2017 at 9:41 AM, NickS said:

Does anyone use these to light a charcoal grill using a charcoal chimney?

In case anyone was wondering, they work great to start charcoal in a chimney. I used 20 year old paraffin, shredded paper from our paper shredder, and cupcake papers.

My husband and I are going camping next week so I'll be making some of these up this weekend. I can't wait. I haven't had a PAID vacation in over 3 years, and with this new job I have so much vacation time, I might not even be able to use it all in a year. LOL 

But I digress, I need to start saving my used waxy paper towels, I always forget those work GREAT in firestarters also. And less waste. :) 

• 2 months later...

For my fire starters I use a 1oz or 2oz paper portion cup (I sell those in my day job lol..) Pack in some wood shavings then fill it up with old left over candle wax, or failed tests!!  If I don't have any wood shavings...I just shred up all my old letters and threats from the CRA (Canadian equivalent of the IRS), put those in the containers and burn them...gives me a great sense of satisfaction!! LOL..

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

For my fire starters I use a 1oz or 2oz paper portion cup (I sell those in my day job lol..) Pack in some wood shavings then fill it up with old left over candle wax, or failed tests!!  If I don't have any wood shavings...I just shred up all my old letters and threats from the CRA (Canadian equivalent of the IRS), put those in the containers and burn them...gives me a great sense of satisfaction!! LOL..

lol, lol

Trappeur

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Does anyone ever add salt? I was looking at a Martha Stewart DIY for pine cone firestarters and they are dipped in different salts to change the flame color. Seemed like it could be cool but not sure if it would work or not.

I am thinking of collecting pine cones, dipping them, and selling them in sets of maybe 5-6 to use up leftover wax and just add some variety to my holiday market booths. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jbradshaw said:

Does anyone ever add salt? I was looking at a Martha Stewart DIY for pine cone firestarters and they are dipped in different salts to change the flame color. Seemed like it could be cool but not sure if it would work or not.

I am thinking of collecting pine cones, dipping them, and selling them in sets of maybe 5-6 to use up leftover wax and just add some variety to my holiday market booths. 

I'm thinking the same thing...I have a market the first Friday in December and think these would make perfect gifts/stocking stuffers. I haven't heard about adding salt, but that sounds interesting!

I packaged some up to sell at my family's Christmas tree farm this year.

They are no where near as beautiful as @Trappeurs, but they turned out pretty enough that I felt the need to but a "not a candle!" warning on them, lol. 

I save all my tart wax after I melt it, and I tried to keep similar scents together but I didn't stress it too much. The wicks are just my trimmings, and I used dried herbs and rose petals from my garden, and torn up paper towels from various cleanups.  I like @bfroberts idea about the wood shavings, I think I might try that next for a more robust and manly looking firestarter! 💪

image.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

I packaged some up to sell at my family's Christmas tree farm this year.

They are no where near as beautiful as @Trappeurs, but they turned out pretty enough that I felt the need to but a "not a candle!" warning on them, lol. 

I save all my tart wax after I melt it, and I tried to keep similar scents together but I didn't stress it too much. The wicks are just my trimmings, and I used dried herbs and rose petals from my garden, and torn up paper towels from various cleanups.  I like @bfroberts idea about the wood shavings, I think I might try that next for a more robust and manly looking firestarter! 💪

I bought a bag of pine shavings from Walmart for $2.50, and I've made dozens and dozens of firestarters and haven't put a dent in the bag.  The cupcake liners keep them from being messy.  I don't even have to package them.   I store & display them in the boxes my jars come in with the dividers, and the customer just picks which ones they want.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

I must do a poor job of pouring mine as I have wax all around the OUTSIDE of the cupcake paper as well as inside. :lol:  Now trying to decide on what price to charge.  Is $1 each too much?

GoldieMN

:laugh2::laugh2:Hey Goldie, that makes them more unique with drippings.....that's rustic!  Nobody gives a crap...Is a 1.00 too much? oh my.....I wholesale mine for 1.75 each and they sell em for 5.00 each! lol, lol....

• Like 2

When I sell them to shops I usually bring them in a basket lined in burlap and some fake greenery and I wind up selling them the basket and all as they like to put them out on display just as I brought them and people just pick out what they want.   Really, there is nothing special about the firestarters, but people love em.  59f52ede11a0c_CIMG6982(1).jpg.bb54db3ca1834ae2ddaab2eaed7bf275.jpg Here is a picture..

Trappeur

• Like 3

Hi Gary!

Well thankyou for such kind words....You know the famous words that always comes out of people mouths is they are too pretty to burn...they're made from left over dead things I find in the forest - even charred pieces of wood....lol....If I had a nickle for every time I heard that comment, I'd be sitting pretty right now...lol     I guess to each their own, right?

Trappeur

• Haha 1