Shampoo FOs

CBeardly

I like herbally/fruity type scents for shampoo. 

Here are my favorite types of scents for shampoo and conditioner: 

Orange (it's what I'm using now) 

Apple/Pear combo or just pear

Rosemary

Lime 

Eucalyptus/Sage (more masculine, but I still like it and it's my son's favorite) 

There are more, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head... 

• Like 2

I buy a coconut milk scent that I 

love ❤️ it's very light. I too like 

herbal / fruity. I also loved all of the 70s shampoo. Some of my favorites were Clairol herbal essence - there was also a wheat germ and honey ( can't remember the brand) Revlon Flex & balsam - Tame -gee your hair smells terrific

Prell and Body on Tap 

? I want them back damnit ? 

• Like 2

I tried EOs when I first started making shampoo soaps. I did a lot of research and came up with an EO combo that was supposed to be very cleansing, conditioning, and good for the scalp and hair. Unfortunately I could not come up with a combo that didn't sting my eyes. After a year of testing different EO combos I gave up. I did not want soaps that stung my customers eyes.

So I use FOs for my soapmaking and am very happy with them. My best seller is Peaks Fruit Slices. Its a huge seller for me. I also make a green apple pear scented soap and juicy apricot from Nurture. But am currently looking for another apricot that doesn't fade in CP. However, the juicy apricot does work in lotions and that is my best selling lotion scent.

I would love a coconut soap but have not found a good one that lasts or doesn't smell like plastic in CP. The best coconut I have found is Hawaiian Sandalwood from Soapalooza. The sandalwood notes fade and it leaves only the coconut notes behind. However, it rices badly so it has to be SB'd into submission before molding. I have tried many coconut scents and coconut combos and this one is the only one that ends up with a hint of coconut. Unfortunately it also discolors to a light to medium tan.

• Like 1

@Candybee Thank you for all the info. I'm making "real" shampoos, etc., not CP soap. I've used a few combinations of EOs & like all of them, other than them being a little strong, but honestly I've never gotten anything in my eyes that I can recall. My husband uses them & hasn't said anything.

I've tried NG's Fresh Fruit Slices but I think it smells like baby aspirin, haha. I like Shea & Coconut from WSP. It's not a suntan lotion coconut if you know what I mean. I also like NG's Coconut Cream Pie, but I haven't tried it in CP, only hair conditioner & wax. It's weak in wax to me but edible in the hair conditioner.  :) WSP is coming out with some new coconut FOs I want to try too. I'm looking for a green apple. Most reviews I find for them say they all smell like sour candy. :sad2:

8 minutes ago, CBeardly said:

@Candybee Thank you for all the info. I'm making "real" shampoos, etc., not CP soap. I've used a few combinations of EOs & like all of them, other than them being a little strong, but honestly I've never gotten anything in my eyes that I can recall. My husband uses them & hasn't said anything.

I've tried NG's Fresh Fruit Slices but I think it smells like baby aspirin, haha. I like Shea & Coconut from WSP. It's not a suntan lotion coconut if you know what I mean. I also like NG's Coconut Cream Pie, but I haven't tried it in CP, only hair conditioner & wax. It's weak in wax to me but edible in the hair conditioner.  :) WSP is coming out with some new coconut FOs I want to try too. I'm looking for a green apple. Most reviews I find for them say they all smell like sour candy. :sad2:

I think many on here like Peak's green apple + Ive read a post about NG Green Apple Explosion but not sure what either are like. Peak has a good Fruit Slices too.

• Like 1

Yes I use Peaks green apple and fruit slices. They are the bomb in CP soap! But I mix the green apple with the bartlett pear. I just love the scent combo and its a keeper. Sells well and all 3 FOs allow me to use colorful micas so I can do pretty swirls without worry of discoloration.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I think many on here like Peak's green apple + Ive read a post about NG Green Apple Explosion but not sure what either are like. Peak has a good Fruit Slices too.

17 hours ago, Candybee said:

Yes I use Peaks green apple and fruit slices. They are the bomb in CP soap! But I mix the green apple with the bartlett pear. I just love the scent combo and its a keeper. Sells well and all 3 FOs allow me to use colorful micas so I can do pretty swirls without worry of discoloration.

I will have to try out Fruit Slices & Green Apple from Peak's the next time I order from them. I'll try the pear too. I've been looking for one. Thanks!  :)

20 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Yeah. I am finding my fruit slices shampoo soap is hard to keep in stock. I will have to start buying the fruit slices in larger amounts to keep up.

I buy the 32oz size every few months, that's how much of it I go through. It's one of only a handful of scents I rebuy on a regular basis. 

On 2/4/2017 at 7:56 PM, Moonstar said:

...  I also loved all of the 70s shampoo. Some of my favorites were Clairol herbal essence  ... ? I want them back damnit ? 

I totally agree ... I've tried to duplicate Herbal Essence scent a few times and I just can't seem to get it right, but over time, I'll keep trying!  I recall that wheat germ & honey too -- if I worked on that one, I might be able to get a bit close from some of the scents I've come to know.

Edited by birdcharm
typo, as usual
  • Like 1