Using Dollar Store Mini Mason Jars

Goldie, did you mean your using htp 31 and htp 41?   or did you use cd 3 and  cd 4?

Man that stinks!  Looks like they are drowning out.  

Geesh, I never did try the htps - only the cd's.

Ok, what pillar you use?  4630?

Maybe it's just the scent you used?

Trappeur

7 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Goldie, did you mean your using htp 31 and htp 41?   or did you use cd 3 and  cd 4?

Man that stinks!  Looks like they are drowning out.  

Geesh, I never did try the htps - only the cd's.

Ok, what pillar you use?  4630?

Maybe it's just the scent you used?

Trappeur

Yes, HTPs.  I didn't have any CDs.  Definitely drowning out.  This is the only scent I used for testing as well as the finished jar.  Before I take the next step, I wondered if anyone thought this came from the addition of the pillar wax.  I can melt down a few and try again with just the 464 although I may not have two weeks to cure, test, repour 70 of them. :(

GoldieMN

7 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Which pillar?  Cause I have a tester going also myself with a pillar that I used by accident (the 4625).

You do the 4630?

It is Ecosoya Pillar Blend.  No longer sold.  Did you have to wick up when you added the pillar?

GoldieMN

Well, talk about frustration?  Ok I burned a candle last week in only 464...Scent was PPW.  This candle was literally a bomb...I mean so friggin strong...(the way I love em).  I didn't change my wicks and is a new box of wax....But I did up the oil to 1 1/2Oz per 1 pound wax.....

Now I'm burning the PPW with 75% 464 and 25% 4625 (was a mistake) and hardly any throw.....unless I stand over it.

This is a 3 wick jobby that yes I did wick up on...and I did use 1 1/2Oz per pound of wax....

Now in the same blend in the mini's in the blend of 464 and 4625 which I have going in the bedroom with the same wick (cd4), great scent throw.  I just can't figure this one out.

Geesh Goldie, I truly feel bad for you with all the candles you made....I WOULD be seeing red rats for sure if that was me.

Ok, another thought....since you had such good testing done b/4...what about your wicks?  Some times I get a dud in mine and it will sink.

Maybe you better test a few more of those candles...I would.

geesh, I am no help to you.....I'm trying

Trappeur

@Trappeur :) I appreciate your suggestions; that's how problems get solved.  Problem is, I wouldn't know which of the jars have dud wicks even if I did test a few more.  

I have a little time as the promotion was moved to March I just hate the mess of melting/removing the wax and wicks and cleaning them so that I can pour straight 464 in them with new wicks.  The person who ordered them originally asked for tealights which I never make so I suggested these mini jars.  I'm sure she would be ok with tealights.  So I wonder if I could buy Dollar Tree tealights, remove the wax, and pour fragranced 464 into the metal containers.  Are those things safe?  I won't make as much money, but I can always rework the Mason minis later and sell them.  

GoldieMN

Well, that is a thought t lights.  Well, if you go that direction and get them at Dollar tree are they the metal ones?  If they are, I would put them in the freezer and let them get real cold and I bet they would pop right out of the tins or even if you get the plastic ones.  I tried doing that with the tins before scraping out the wax out of the tin t lights and what a mess and they crease and bend immediately and they are just horrible looking.  Don't do that.   How much would it cost to just buy new t lights?  I don't know as I don't use them.   But I would definitely put the sticker tabs in them in the bottom. 

Quick question...did you change your wick sizes on those jars to a smaller when all the soy problems arose?

Trappeur

@Trappeur No, the wick sizes are the same that I had used in testing.  They were a batch of new HTPs, though.  That is the only other variable from the final HTP testers that worked.  I've been working with the same soy  start to finish so that isn't a variable.  Pretty sure I got the wicks from the same place as testers but will check.

GoldieMN

1 hour ago, GoldieMN said:

I see @candlescience has a flame-retardant plastic tealight cup.  Has anyone had experience with these?  They recommend Eco .75 wicks.  

GoldieMN

I recently bought the spa cups from Aztec.

http://www.candlemaking.com/spa-light-cups-clear.html

They were great, no problems with the plastic at all, and they had pretty good throw considering how small they are. Really easy to use.

I had the same experience you did, when I made my first test batch I used container wax and they got really hot really fast. So I added some pillar wax to try to keep it under control, and all of the sudden the wicks that were torches were now drowning!

I settled on about 5% pillar wax and between the wax and the fragrance I ended up using a HTP73 in that tiny cup! 😮

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

I recently bought the spa cups from Aztec.

http://www.candlemaking.com/spa-light-cups-clear.html

They were great, no problems with the plastic at all, and they had pretty good throw considering how small they are. Really easy to use.

I had the same experience you did, when I made my first test batch I used container wax and they got really hot really fast. So I added some pillar wax to try to keep it under control, and all of the sudden the wicks that were torches were now drowning!

I settled on about 5% pillar wax and between the wax and the fragrance I ended up using a HTP73 in that tiny cup! 😮

Ok, so it sounds like it is the addition of too much pillar wax.  I will check into the spa cups.  Thanks!

GoldieMN