Using Dollar Store Mini Mason Jars

I've been testing my smallest Premier wicks and am at the 710.  If I remember correctly, there is 1.5 oz of wax in the jar.  Burned for 4 hours, yesterday; relit and now (photos) at 2 hours today.  I can pick the jar up around the middle but the top rim is a bit hot.  Flame is a nice small size but hasn't been drowned out by the wax; melt pool about 1/4-3/8".  The wax was pretty soft as I just remelted an old, cured 464 votive so I probably won't get as many hours out of this as I would have had the wax been hardened for more than a day.  The pictures are of the jar at the 2-hour point, second-day burn.  My question is, do most glass votives or small jars like this usually get hot no matter what wick is used?  This is the smallest wick of any kind I have so hoping I won't have to order another brand.

Goldie

mason-jar-candle-mini-2.gif

mason-jar-candle-mini-1.gif

Good going Goldie,

I burned mine exact as you same size jar and wax but using a cd3.  Mine looked like yours almost but was a deeper melt pool.   When I got to the 4 hour mark on the first day my whole jar was all liquid and so mad hot I couldn't pickup.  If there wasn't a shoulder on that jar of yours or mine I think both our wicks would have worked.  I have to get smaller wicks (if there are any)......Can't remember who said it here on the forum, but they said a zinc burns cool.  I know nothing about those wicks.  Maybe I could buy a couple from some one here and test...  Only thing I can tell you is keep going and let us know.  At this stage for me though I'm too worried about getting any more jars that size as I sell to shops and I think it could be a disaster for someone.  Oh another thing that happened to me was that being that the jars got so very hot the wicks slid off their tabs and then actually the entire wick and tab lifted and slid to the side of the jar and I couldn't get the wick to stay upright and back into position so that got me worried too.  So for right now, I'm not going to order these small jars but I do have coming today 5oz jars (the italian jars) with the pretty lids.  I can't wait to get them today.  So they are bigger and I feel more confident with succeeding with a wick for this jar.  I'll keep all posted.  Please keep us posted too Goldie!;)

Trappeur

• Like 1

Both of you Try the LX14....this is my standard in votives and the glass does not get to hot at all....some fragrances I need to use a CD but in general they are too hot 

I have hardly any experience with premiers so I don't know their burn tendencies to comment Goldie 

trapp your mini masons are about votive size right? The ones I ordered from Amazon measure almost exact as a votive holder so I am hoping the lx14 is perfect 

if you need some to test let me know I have a ton

6 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Both of you Try the LX14....this is my standard in votives and the glass does not get to hot at all....some fragrances I need to use a CD but in general they are too hot 

I have hardly any experience with premiers so I don't know their burn tendencies to comment Goldie 

trapp your mini masons are about votive size right? The ones I ordered from Amazon measure almost exact as a votive holder so I am hoping the lx14 is perfect 

if you need some to test let me know I have a ton

Ok I'll see if I have any....not sure..I willl do the lx 14.  I'll let you know if I need a couple Moonshine..I probably do.

Ok the mini mason I have a picture of here is 1 1/2" wide at the widest.

CIMG8636.jpg

Goldie can you get those pictures back up?

Not sabotaging this thread but you should see the italian mason jars I got today off Amazon.....I'm loving these!  I put up a new thread to show these.

Trappeur

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Ok I'll see if I have any....not sure..I willl do the lx 14.  I'll let you know if I need a couple Moonshine..I probably do.

Ok the mini mason I have a picture of here is 1 1/2" wide at the widest.

CIMG8636.jpg

Goldie can you get those pictures back up?

Not sabotaging this thread but you should see the italian mason jars I got today off Amazon.....I'm loving these!  I put up a new thread to show these.

Trappeur

1- 1/2 at the widest....mine are 2" like a votive holder so maybe a LX10-12-14 to try and see, they do burn cooler than the CD's

I think I have them all- I know I have 14- I will check and let you know - and the jars are taller than t-light wicks come unless you buy the spool and tab them yourself ?

I really think the LX are promising for that jar 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I couldn't open the pics either.  I have the jars from Amazon and I was going to try the LX12 as my son said the tea light wicks he didn't think were big enough??

t-light wicks are usually short and weak, if eco made a tall t-light wick that could be a go but I havent seen those unless you buy the spool and tab yourself 

did you get the ones with SHOT embossed the 2 ouncers?

I was thinking LX 14 to start mainly going off votives that's what works best for me and the dimensions of that jar are almost exact to votive holder but in may need to go down also....but I use 415 Which is a pretty hard set soy 

13 hours ago, moonshine said:

t-light wicks are usually short and weak, if eco made a tall t-light wick that could be a go but I havent seen those unless you buy the spool and tab yourself 

did you get the ones with SHOT embossed the 2 ouncers?

I was thinking LX 14 to start mainly going off votives that's what works best for me and the dimensions of that jar are almost exact to votive holder but in may need to go down also....but I use 415 Which is a pretty hard set soy 

Yes they are the "shot" ones.  I got 24 of them.  First 12 I poured I used a long tea light wick which I had for a long time and don't remember where I got them.  I saw a pic of a burn about 3 hours and I thought it was ok but personally would wick up 1 size so figured an LX12 would do it but I don't use LX often so if you think a 14 I'll try that.  I use C3

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Here are the photos in jpg in case you couldn't open the first two.

mini candle.jpg

mini candle 2.jpg

Very cute jars Goldie but definitely looks over wicked 

do you have any LX?

the pictures on these little buggers make them look bigger than they must be....I can't wait to get my shot ones today finally so I can see what I'm up against 

On 2/2/2017 at 0:37 PM, Trappeur said:

Good going Goldie,

I burned mine exact as you same size jar and wax but using a cd3.  Mine looked like yours almost but was a deeper melt pool.   When I got to the 4 hour mark on the first day my whole jar was all liquid and so mad hot I couldn't pickup.  If there wasn't a shoulder on that jar of yours or mine I think both our wicks would have worked.  I have to get smaller wicks (if there are any)......Can't remember who said it here on the forum, but they said a zinc burns cool.  I know nothing about those wicks.  Maybe I could buy a couple from some one here and test...  Only thing I can tell you is keep going and let us know.  At this stage for me though I'm too worried about getting any more jars that size as I sell to shops and I think it could be a disaster for someone.  Oh another thing that happened to me was that being that the jars got so very hot the wicks slid off their tabs and then actually the entire wick and tab lifted and slid to the side of the jar and I couldn't get the wick to stay upright and back into position so that got me worried too.  So for right now, I'm not going to order these small jars but I do have coming today 5oz jars (the italian jars) with the pretty lids.  I can't wait to get them today.  So they are bigger and I feel more confident with succeeding with a wick for this jar.  I'll keep all posted.  Please keep us posted too Goldie!;)

Trappeur

My jar never got too hot to hold, just the very top rim got hot after a 3-hr. burn.  Finished it today; 16 hr. total.  I may try to burn one start to finish to see how hot it gets.

Moonshine, no I only have Premiers.  

Goldie

Those are so cute!!.... I love them - I hear chalk paint calling their name ?

I don't know what wax you use but the LX series for me has worked the best in my little SHOT ones from Amazon using soy 

Painting a couple larger ball masons  myself today along with some lamps ? Never painted anything In my life but fence posts for horse pastures and I tried the color glaze stuff for masons awhile back and that was a disaster...

I haven't a clue what I am up for but I need to practice because I am gel staining all my bathroom and kitchen cabinets this spring to give a facelift with a fraction of the cost of hiring it out 

• Like 2

They are much cuter than I thought they would be. So, I take it that you paint the outside of the jar and sand of the lettering?? I've never used chalk paint before. Our live in houseguest is a painter and she has some chalk paint I can borrow a bit and see how it works. ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I totally forgot about these jars and ordering the wicks when I placed my last fo order, so I look at RE where I need to order and they don't carry LX wicks.  I ordered some on Ebay and now I can't wait for them to arrive!  I cleaned out my workshop today and uncovered the jars or I still wouldn't have remembered.

On 2/2/2017 at 1:37 PM, Trappeur said:

Good going Goldie,

Trappeur

See my private message

Hi Pam,

I know you sent me a couple private messages as I can only read the first line as you were talking about some wicks or something but I can't open the messages.  I have always had the darndest time since the forum was redone with opening messages.  Most of the time I have to close out of the forum, come back on and do this 3 or 4 times to "maybe' being able to read the messages.  Most of the time I can't and have to go back the next day and try again.  I can't even use the search box as it doesn't work for me so I have a hard time with that also.  I'll keep trying to open your messages......sorry.

Trappeur

• 9 months later...

OMGosh, I can't believe I started this testing a year ago!  Gave up for awhile, then got an order for 100 of these mini Mason jars for a promotion.  Started retesting wicks and came up with HTP41s which had a good flame but didn't get the jar very hot.  Tested a couple times to be sure.  First picture shows how they were burning--HTP3 on the left, HTP4 on the right.  Poured 71 jars (all I had), labeled with name of company on top, caution sticker on side, and fragrance/my name on bottom.  Waited two weeks and lit two today.  Second picture shows how they are burning today with the HTP4 wicks. 

WHAT THE HECK???  Kicking myself in the pants.  I was concerned there wouldn't be any hot throw so with this 72-jar batch, I mixed 80% 464 with 20% pillar blend.  Is this what is causing the barely-there flame?

GoldieMN

mini mason htp.jpg

mini mason 2.jpg