CP rebatch bases

coconut

On 2/18/2018 at 5:02 PM, Sarah S said:

This would be a great soap to try some of the home made aloe juice in (that was your post,  right?), I'd make sure it was strained really well and use it as the rebatch liquid.

Kaolin clay also makes a great additive to shaving soap, although I have read that some people feel it dulls the razor. I notice it gives my soaps a lovely silky slip, so it may be worth a try!

A bit of honey, like a teaspoon per pound of rebatch added during the cook might be good too, the sugar can encourage a foamy lather, and honey itself is a nice humectant. Too much would be icky though, lol!

Rebatch soap is great to experiment with, because you can melt down small amounts and not have a ton of waste if you don't like the results! 😄

Waiting on an order from B&B for  some rebatch soap and I can go from there in experimenting..............

Ya know, if any experiment doesn't give you what you want..... you still have a nice soap to shower with.,,,,,,so nothing lost...kwim?

• Like 1

When I used aloe leaves in my CP i would run them through my juicer to get rid of the outer skin. You get a deep, rich green color from the aloe leaf. But it took a lot of leaves to make a significant amount of gel/juice. Since then, I have switched to aloe juice from the store. You can buy it 99.99% pure aloe gel. The only other ingredient is citric acid to preserve it and citric acid makes a good additive for CP anyway so its a win win. You don't get the natural green soap from the aloe juice though, only the real leaves and the store juices is usually a light amber color.

CB:  thanks for the tip on adding citric acid.  When my order of CP rebatch arrives from BB, I'm gonna try the additives that you have suggested.  My only question is:  when you add extra oil to the CP, does it require a longer curing time?

I haven't done the Aloe water yet but did process the CP rebatch I received for BB.....Goat's milk base.  I added some coconut oil and emu oil to the base.......of course, not knowing what the he$$ I'm doing but I gotta say this turned out so nice.  The lather is so rich and creamy.......not bubbly lather but thick and creamy.  I poured DH's shave cup with some of this mixture, let it cure for a couple of days and he was so excited over the foam........the foam is not a bubble type foam but a rich, creamy lather.  The more you rub this bar, the thicker the lather becomes.

The goats milk base is great as it is without any additives but adding the extra oils to ''superfat'' the mixture just made my day!!  Besides pouring DH's shave soap, I made some bars and they are curing.  I had a little left over and made a small bar of soap to test...........OMG, the rich, creamy lather is to die for........I scented the bars with Purple Sandlewood but didn't use enough to produce the scent I was hoping for but in the long run, the scent is minor compared to the thick, creamy lather produced.  I can't wait to get in the tub tonite and lather up....considering how thick this lather is, I'd have to say that shaving the legs will be a new experience....lol........not being a from-scratch soaping person, I am extremely happy with what I produced.

Hey, whatever makes your day and inspires you to do more.......kwim!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 4:22 PM, Pam W said:

I haven't done the Aloe water yet but did process the CP rebatch I received for BB.....Goat's milk base.  I added some coconut oil and emu oil to the base.......of course, not knowing what the he$$ I'm doing but I gotta say this turned out so nice.  The lather is so rich and creamy.......not bubbly lather but thick and creamy.  I poured DH's shave cup with some of this mixture, let it cure for a couple of days and he was so excited over the foam........the foam is not a bubble type foam but a rich, creamy lather.  The more you rub this bar, the thicker the lather becomes.

The goats milk base is great as it is without any additives but adding the extra oils to ''superfat'' the mixture just made my day!!  Besides pouring DH's shave soap, I made some bars and they are curing.  I had a little left over and made a small bar of soap to test...........OMG, the rich, creamy lather is to die for........I scented the bars with Purple Sandlewood but didn't use enough to produce the scent I was hoping for but in the long run, the scent is minor compared to the thick, creamy lather produced.  I can't wait to get in the tub tonite and lather up....considering how thick this lather is, I'd have to say that shaving the legs will be a new experience....lol........not being a from-scratch soaping person, I am extremely happy with what I produced.

Hey, whatever makes your day and inspires you to do more.......kwim!

Update on my soaps:  the bars are still curing but they do feel a little oily on the outside which really doesn't bother me but I'm being a good girl and leaving them alone for a little while longer.  I have extremely dry skin do to a thyroid issed so maybe the extra oil will help. Hubby's shaving soap:  the minute he puts the brush to the soap, it's instant lather.

• Like 1

I have used Kaolin clay in the past -- even have some in my stash but forgot about it.  I do have another 4lbs left to play with :-)

The bars that I have curing were feeling a little oily but that seems to be going away, the longer I leave them alone (I don't think I have ever waited for a full cure cuz I'm so impatient but I might make it this time.

Edited by Pam W
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got to add that I am impressed with BB's goat's milk CP rebatch......even after I added some add'l oils to the shredded soap, I am so happy with the results.......every time I go in the bathroom, I can't resist lathering up from fingertips to elbows with the soap that I made....it's almost like an obsession to experience just how much lather can be created

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 4:02 PM, Candybee said:

Coconut I find that my CP recipes using sunflower oil makes the nicest skin softening soft. Soooo, you could try the rebatch base again but this time add a bit of sunflower oil as your superfat oil. Again, use sparingly, about 1oz per lb base as too much sunflower oil may cause DOS. Its from the linoleic fatty acid found in sunflower oil that can cause the DOS, but it is also the ingredient that gives great skin softening.

Candybee, I have some shea butter shreds form Voyaguer and last night melted abot a lb of it with a couple tablespoons of sunflower oil. The product seems to be a little crumbly.aybe I did not melt enough? I had it on the double boiler at least an hour.

On 5/11/2018 at 11:42 AM, coconut said:

Candybee, I have some shea butter shreds form Voyaguer and last night melted abot a lb of it with a couple tablespoons of sunflower oil. The product seems to be a little crumbly.aybe I did not melt enough? I had it on the double boiler at least an hour.

Did you add any water or other liquid? (and I don't mean fat/oil). Soap, even cp bases need some liquid to become fluid. When your soap batter is fluid that is when you can pour it into a mold to cool and harden. The liquid takes a few days to evaporate and that is a part of what "curing" a soap is. Curing will also make the soap more firm, last longer, and be milder.

On 5/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, Candybee said:

Did you add any water or other liquid? (and I don't mean fat/oil). Soap, even cp bases need some liquid to become fluid. When your soap batter is fluid that is when you can pour it into a mold to cool and harden. The liquid takes a few days to evaporate and that is a part of what "curing" a soap is. Curing will also make the soap more firm, last longer, and be milder.

At first just a little sunflower oil. Then I added a little water. Thank you for the reply. I have more shreds so I will try again. 😁

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 8:58 AM, Candybee said:

Are you talking about shea butter the fat or shea butter the base? I am confused.

Since I've been experimenting with the CP rebatch soaps, CAN I add some shea butter(the fat) to the formula?  I have extremely dry skin due to a thryroid issue and would like to find a way to maximize my soaps to help with that issue.

I would add 1oz per lb of base when you rebatch. That should be plenty.

But what I really love to add to my rebatches is liquid glycerin along with some lanolin and some extra oil/fat. I use the anhydrous lanolin. So when I rebatch I add in per lb base:

1) 1oz oil/fat

2) .5 - 1oz lanolin

3) 1.5oz liquid glycerin

If you add glycerin be sure to account for that with any liquid you add. So if your CP rebatch base says to add 5oz liquid split the difference between the glycerin and the liquid. I don't count the lanolin or oil/fat as a liquid. Those are extra.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:08 AM, Candybee said:

I would add 1oz per lb of base when you rebatch. That should be plenty.

But what I really love to add to my rebatches is liquid glycerin along with some lanolin and some extra oil/fat. I use the anhydrous lanolin. So when I rebatch I add in per lb base:

1) 1oz oil/fat

2) .5 - 1oz lanolin

3) 1.5oz liquid glycerin

If you add glycerin be sure to account for that with any liquid you add. So if your CP rebatch base says to add 5oz liquid split the difference between the glycerin and the liquid. I don't count the lanolin or oil/fat as a liquid. Those are extra.

thanks for the input,  I have glycerin on hand but will have to acquire some lanolin......

• 4 weeks later...