Hi from SoCal

Incendia

Hi. I've been bit by the candle bug again. I've been making candles on but mostly off for several decades. (Yes, I am old) I started in my first apartment when still in school and used canning parawax, crayons for color, and string for wick. Needless to say, they didn't burn very well. But it was fun.

Over the years I've revisited making candles numerous times, but have never tried to sell any, and have no aim to do so. When I was younger, I did supplement income doing craft shows, stores, etc , selling mainly paper products - cards, calendars etc. I've done a lot of calligraphy, and also make paper and do paper marbling. I've dabbled in stained glass and mosaics. Even made soap a few times. I first studied art in college, but ended up in biology. They seem very different, but beauty is beauty.

Back to candles - I'm one of those poor souls who buys used candles at yard sales and re-melts them. Fortunately I do not need to have reproducible results. My aim is to make pretty, creative candles that burn well, and smell good. I do buy wicks, scents, and occasionally wax. But mostly I wing it and am generally pleased with the results. If not... double, double toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble ... they get re-melted to live again.

I'm currently greatly enjoying myself with this hobby, and am very pleased to have found this forum with so many knowledgeable people who are willing to share. I've already spent several days reading threads and making candles with new information.

Glad to be here. :)

Incendia, it's nice to meet you.  Please join in here with the rest of us.  It's great to get laughs of how we started.  There are so many of us here that you will fit right in.  Don't be embarrassed by anything.  We all have been there and done that and still do!  So come join us.  It's really a  great board, no one is nasty or cut throat here.  It's like family.....So welcome!  And we LOVE pictures!

Trappeur

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Candybee said:

Welcome to Craft Server!

I made my first candle with the old paraffin wax, kite string, and we used cut up milk cartons for a mold. It was really fun back then but it still is fun making them today.

Now I make mostly soap with candles on the side.

Thanks for the welcome.

You remind me that as a kid my mom made a candle using a milk carton as a mold. Then decorated it with some fluffed up white wax simulating snow. She probably got the idea from the old Parade magazine that came with the Sunday paper. Every Christmas, unlit, it was part of the decorations. I doubt it burned very well. I had forgotten. :) 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, Trappeur said:

Incendia, it's nice to meet you.  Please join in here with the rest of us.  It's great to get laughs of how we started.  There are so many of us here that you will fit right in.  Don't be embarrassed by anything.  We all have been there and done that and still do!  So come join us.  It's really a  great board, no one is nasty or cut throat here.  It's like family.....So welcome!  And we LOVE pictures!

Trappeur

Thanks, Trappeur.

One of the benefits of getting older is losing the worry about being embarrassed about much of anything. It is very freeing. :D

Years ago I belonged to another candle board that did not have the same friendly tone (nor level of expertise) as here so I am very pleased to have found you all.

• 1 month later...