Pricing melts

Trappeur

I was wondering as I have been thinking about selling wholesale melts to shops besides candle jars if there is like a general set formula for pricing out

melts in the clam shell or the little portion cups?  What do most of you sell them for wholesale?   Which do you like better also....the clam shell or portion cups?

Trappeur

I do the portion cups and I wholesale them the same way I do anything else.  My cost times 2.  I sell them as singles and I use the round 2 oz. size.  At craft shows I price them so the more you buy the cheaper they are.  

I have been doing pretty good with the portion cups.  People seem to like them and I think it is because they can mix and match a lot easier.  More of a variety for them.  

Also I get bored pretty easy so I needed a new shape to make.  :lol:

• Like 1

I agree with pcbrook on people seem to like the mix n match and feel like they're getting more for their money. The shop I sell them to displays them in clear

glass apothecary style cylindar jars. Samples of the scents are left in front of the displays, but human nature is such that people will still open the others.

Maybe do portion cups to start off with to see how they do. It also helps, in my experience as far as nicer shops goes, if they sell melters. Most people nowadays

have a wax melter though or they can be cheaply bought anywhere. But the shop I sell to offers them. She buys them when she goes to the trade shows. 

I only sell retail.  My tarts are .7 ounces and sell for $1 each; cost is $.16.  My clamshells are approximately 2.8 ounces; cost $.88.  Thinking of pricing them at $4 each, 3 for $10.  Customers will be getting the same amount of wax with one clamshell vs four tarts so that comes out the same per ounce.  The container adds $.30.  There are other people selling the clamshells considerably less which is why I will sell them 3 for $10 at least to get started. 

Right now, I sell the individual tarts out of vintage-looking glass canisters.  I hated the smudges on the jars so started adding a little pillar wax which remedied that.  The pillar wax also allows me to use the same formula for my clamshells which pop right out of the container.  I started with Ecosoya PB and Xcel but have switched to 464 and PB.  Still testing the hot throw on this new combination but using 6.8 ounces of 464 and 1.3 ounces of PB; 8% oil just because I think I need more for melts than candles to get a "long-lasting" hot throw whatever that is. :)

Goldie

• Like 1

After a season of oval portion cups, I am going to switch to 2 oz clams (1.5 oz wax).

The portion cups in my displays were too difficult to keep merchandised well. Throughout the day the displays looked like crap if someone were not dedicated to straightening them. The clams will fill the same horizontal space as my soap bars, so all will look tidy and be simpler to fill. Plus, even though we advise each purchaser to cut and use only a small portion of a cup the idea did not seem to click. with a clam, it is intuitive to break a small piece off neatly.

I used the oval 2 oz portion cups. My beeswax melts retailed for $3 or 4/$10. Not sure I would wholesale them. Too much time for the small return. At an average of $0.30+ per melt just for fragrance the margins are too small.  When I move to clams of the same volume/weight I plan to raise the retail price to $4 or 3/$10 which makes them more attractive to possibly wholesale.

• Like 2