Rock Salt In Melts

karinz40

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

PCbrook we got the same freezing rain + yet another day of no school . I may need to look into wigs soon :lol:

Oh no!  Another day home from school!  I feel for you!  Try to stay patient!  

• Like 2

Would it work to scent the salt the same way you do aroma beads?  I put mine in a jar with fo and shake well and then periodically for about 2 days or until all the fo is absorbed and jar isn't oily.  This way you could pre-scent and keep jar closed to use as needed.

• Like 1

Geez, this has turned out to be a very interesting topic. Here I thought it was a silly idea at first, now Im double guessing myself. 

Very curious to hear results. I really love Moonshines idea of also scattering the salt over the clamshell as well. I bet that would look very pretty.

@moonshine the look the rock salt gives is beautiful. If I were to 'science' this topic, the salt is porous enough to soak the fragrance. It might not perform the same  when added to the pour pot directly without pre-fragrance because the wax will fill the pores and not allow the same saturation of the fragrance.

looking forward to hearing your experience!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

@moonshine the look the rock salt gives is beautiful. If I were to 'science' this topic, the salt is porous enough to soak the fragrance. It might not perform the same  when added to the pour pot directly without pre-fragrance because the wax will fill the pores and not allow the same saturation of the fragrance.

TT so what your saying is, first saturate the salt with a portion of the measured oil and add the salts to the hot wax when, after you've poured in mold ? 

Very intriguing topic . Also, does it matter which type of salt is used ?

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

very true - I will have to make another batch tonight scenting the salt and compare - they are so pretty 

it was a last minute decision very late last night while I was waiting forever for my wax to cool making more tester container jars 

Thanks TT

• Like 1

I played with this and tried them out and I did not notice my melts lasting any longer than without the salt.  But I am going to test some more because the ones I made were not cured for too long.  I want to try it with making some with and without all at the same time and let them sit for the same amount of time. 

• Like 1

This is so intriguing to try! I'm not sure I would ever make it around to doing it but I'm sure enjoying reading everyone's thoughts and results. 

I'm so jealous of the cold weather y'all are having! Not of the freezing rain for sure, but just being cold. Our high was supposed to get up to 80 today but it only got up around 72 I think. Makes me crazy since January is supposed to be one of our coldest months and we've had more warm days this winter than cold ones. I love cold weather although I wouldn't want to put up with the ice and snow. Give me a high of around 45 and a low in the 30's and I'm happy! Hope y'all are safe on the icy roads.

Edited by Belinda

I had to read this over a few times to really understand this post. At first, I thought it was strange, but then, I have been out of the candle loop for a long time. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I don't know about you guys, but I am always thinking of different ways to make my products stand out from the bigger candle companies and be unique, this would be an excellent way to do it. Pour your melts, or clams, and sprinkle sea salt on the top of it could be very eye catching.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I did some testing with this and I did not notice any difference in any way.  I made a few with and without at the same time and let them cure for about a week.  Both with and without lasted about the same amount of time and they threw the same.  

I use 4786 so maybe another wax would work better but I am going to stick with what works for me for now.

HTH

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 6:25 PM, moonshine said:

They are beautiful aren't they? 

I don't want to break the clamshell up to try it - lol

I did put the white ones in today a little premature but it was so heavenly smelling, to early to tell if it makes any difference though 

Did you ever test these out?  I'm loving the look so may just add salt to my margarita melts for sure probably more scents even if it doesn't help.  If no help I'll skip the scenting of the salt and just drop some salt in the bottom of the clamshell.  I have a ton of himalayan pink salt that is approx 3mm in size that I'm going to try.

I did not notice a difference other than appearance - the look is cool 

the melts lasted the same amount of time  imo but A few newer scents seemed stronger which makes sense scenting salts and wax combined but the one was so strong my face and eyes burned I had to dump it and gave the rest to my secretary to get it out of my office ?

I will add salts but not scented to one of my lines and see how the sales go just for visual appearances 

• Like 1

I made clam shells with the salt  for my Pina Colada and another Coconut Lime and the look was really cool.  Gave to my neighbor and she loved the look

This may catch on just for the look on some scents.  Did one clam this AM with white Cedar Forest in a med green color and the little salts pellets looked like white cedar I though. it looked pretty cool. 

• Like 1