Rock Salt In Melts

karinz40

10 minutes ago, karinz40 said:

I put some Kosher salt in my warmer and a few drops of fo and it has been working very nicely this AM

I think it's works great too ! Keep an eye on the salt and add more when needed. I noticed my salt dissipated some, or for me it did.

The person telling me this said she soaked the salt in the fo and then when pouring the melt put some of it in along with the liquid fo left,  Said her melts lasted many days because of it.  I would LOVE to hve my melts last longer but this does'nt sound like it would work any better than just the reg wax melt and fo and to much trouble

21 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Ive never heard of that either, but have heard of putting the actual salt in the warmer. Actually, I read that from one of TT's older posts, I think it was hers ?

Anyways, it worked great but I didn't have rock salt at home, just sea salt ! 

Well,  the rocks probably came out of the ocean....lol

Trappeur

• Like 1

Sounds to me like this would be a great experiment to try out. Soak some rock salt with FO and put it in a melt. Then test a regular melt then the rock salt melt and see which one lasts the longest by logging the hours. I wouldn't be surprised if the rock salt melt lasted longer. I think I would be more surprised if it didn't. But you don't know unless you test it out.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Sounds to me like this would be a great experiment to try out. Soak some rock salt with FO and put it in a melt. Then test a regular melt then the rock salt melt and see which one lasts the longest by logging the hours. I wouldn't be surprised if the rock salt melt lasted longer. I think I would be more surprised if it didn't. But you don't know unless you test it out.

I was surprised how long it actually lasted + to my nose the scent seemed more true than in wax + bit stronger. Nut that also varied from scent - scent . 

Actually works well .

2 hours ago, karinz40 said:

The person telling me this said she soaked the salt in the fo and then when pouring the melt put some of it in along with the liquid fo left,  Said her melts lasted many days because of it.  I would LOVE to hve my melts last longer but this does'nt sound like it would work any better than just the reg wax melt and fo and to much trouble

I agree, way too much trouble + seems pointless. I just don't get why someone would want to do that. Salt on its own does the trick :) 

I thought I read here that salt will rust out your melter?  Perhaps if it is mixed with wax this may not occur.

People are used to purchasing wax melts and perhaps don't know they can use salt alone with the addition of FO in their melters.

I would advertise it as a new type of melt, call it something special and different.  

Off the top of my head:  "A Super Melt"  (Lame I know, but you KWIM).

That's all if it proves itself to actually last longer... :)

Used 8 oz  4625 wax Kumquat FO 1/4 ts of kosher salt soaked in the fo first 30 min  (1/2/oz of fo)

Then put a little of the salt in a square brownie bite silicone mold and poured in fo after that  ..  

will leave sit for a few hours and then try or maybe tomorrow

To much work  !!!!

• Like 3

This is an interesting theory.....

I have made scented salt using coarse sea salt and kosher salt for canning and I did like the results but coloring them and keeping the scents straight got hairy so I just stopped 

but if adding salt to melts does in fact make them last longer I wouldn't have to color them which makes it somewhat easier 

I may play with this over the weekend and see what happens 

I use little smelly jelly jars to mix salt up so that would work for storage and I'm thinking just using a spoon to sprinkle some across the top of the clamshells when they are partially set so you can see the salt in there....

• Like 1

Moonshine I like the way you think !!

Mixing ahead in a small jar and then sprinkling on to the melts is very clever.

I am going to try this with and give a neighbor to try it  out

Let me know how yours turns out

So I bought some course sea salt yesterday to experiment with this.  Well we ended up getting freezing rain last night and we ran out of sidewalk salt so guess were my sea salt went!  You have three guesses and the first two don't count!  :lol:

• Like 5